Photo
- - - - -

Lets say Joe Johnson dont sign with us next season.....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#1 JTB

JTB

LongTitle Deeds

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts
  • Joined 28-June 08

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:59 AM

I was thinking...........if JJ hasnt signed with us by now then it looks like he's really going to test the free agent market but maybe its too early to tell. Anyhow I just like other hawk fans like JJ alot

but if he actually decides to test the market I say we go after D.WADE! I mean I do think its possible to get him since we all know he's going to be a free agent cause the heat aint doing sh*t to

make him want to stay!LOL

So say JJ dont sign next off-season. Would it be possible for us to sign D.WADE or Would we have to release another player to get someone like D.WADE cause of his huge contract?

(ATL Im sure Im not the only one who has been thinking about something like this..........If jj dont sign we must go after WADE if we can afford to have him on the team)

#2 Mrs. Joe Johnson

Mrs. Joe Johnson

Summer League

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Joined 28-November 08

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

Dwade in ATL I find that highly unlikely. I guess Kobe and Lebron coming 2!

#3 pimp

pimp

Starter

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,205 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:05 PM

:beat: :slap1: :computer8:

#4 AHF

AHF

General Manager

• Moderators
  • 19,429 posts
  • Joined 26-January 04

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

Read the pinned thread from HawksFanatić on the cap situation. We will not be able to offer more than the MLE to any free agent next offseason except for JJ (i.e., our own free agents for whom we have bird rights).

#5 Johnnybravo4

Johnnybravo4

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,653 posts
  • Joined 26-August 05

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:10 PM

Honestly what would be the difference? The difference between JJ and Wade isn't enough to make us a championship team. Our only chance for us to become champions is if both Smoove and Marvin become star players, or at least Lamar Odom/Artest Caliber

#6 jy23

jy23

Starter

• Political Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Joined 07-July 09

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Honestly what would be the difference? The difference between JJ and Wade isn't enough to make us a championship team. Our only chance for us to become champions is if both Smoove and Marvin become star players, or at least Lamar Odom/Artest Caliber

:cant believe:

#7 TheNorthCydeRises

TheNorthCydeRises

Hall of Fame

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,733 posts
  • Joined 25-October 13

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

Read the pinned thread from HawksFanatić on the cap situation. We will not be able to offer more than the MLE to any free agent next offseason except for JJ (i.e., our own free agents for whom we have bird rights).

Exactly.

If we lose JJ, we're looking at 2 options.

1) Do nothing, and let Crawford be the guy taking all of the shots at the end of the game ( unless Marvin or Smoove can become reliable enough to get the job done in this area )

2) Make a trade to bring in another star caliber player. ( and I'm not talking about trading Mo Evans for somebody . . . It'll have to be a trade that sees Josh Smith or Al Horford leave this team, because those are the 2 guys that most people want ).

Or it could be option #3 . . . re-sign JJ at a lower price

The problem with that strategy, is that if LeBron and Wade switch teams, you're going to see a domino effect take place throughout the league. There are just going to be too many teams with cap space, that could possibly offer JJ more than a 15 million a year deal next summer, if they choose to do so.

- Minnesota
- New Jersey
- LA Clippers
- NY Knicks
- possibly Houston ( because McGrady's contract expires next season )
- if Lebron leaves Cleveland, then Cleveland
- if Wade leaves Miami, then Miami ( Hell . . . Miami could possibly do it, even if they do re-sign Wade )

Maybe a 4th option, would be to have JJ still on the market next summer, but not renounce his rights, so that the Hawks could possibly do a sign and trade for somebody(s).

I understand what the Hawks are doing. They're trying to see if JJ is a guy that you can win a title with, if you have the right pieces around him.

It's Russian Roulette though. I can see us losing JJ, then not being able to do anything. We'll end up the exact same way that Chicago did, when they basically lost Ben Gordon for nothing.

My prediction is this . . and I said this over the summer. If the Hawks struggle, they're going to be looking to trade JJ before the trading deadline.

They'll end up trading him for a cat like Kevin Martin of Sacramento, along with an expiring contract to make the numbers match . . like a Desmond Mason or somebody. And they'll try to sell us on the fact that Martin is a good shooter ( possibly even better than JJ ), and that we can rely on his shooting for the next 4 years.

But like with the Danny Manning / Nique trade, the effect probably wouldn't hurt the Hawks tremendously . . until the playoffs came around.

Then Martin would get really exposed as the non-defensive playing guard that he is. And we'd have 2 of those guys on the team ( Martin and Crawford ), who can score, but won't play a lick of defense.

We get bounced out in the 1st round in 7 games, and all hell would break loose . . . starting with Woody being fired . . . and probably ending with Smoove being traded.

#8 High5

High5

Starter

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:17 PM

Swap Joe for Wade and we instantly become a championship contender.

#9 MaceCase

MaceCase

Hall of Fame

• Squawkers
  • 6,295 posts
  • Joined 08-April 09

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

:doh:

#10 jerrywest

jerrywest

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 06-July 02

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

If I was as powerful as you are, I'd have wished for end of wars and hunger.

#11 jerrywest

jerrywest

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 06-July 02

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

Exactly.

If we lose JJ, we're looking at 2 options.

1) Do nothing, and let Crawford be the guy taking all of the shots at the end of the game ( unless Marvin or Smoove can become reliable enough to get the job done in this area )

2) Make a trade to bring in another star caliber player. ( and I'm not talking about trading Mo Evans for somebody . . . It'll have to be a trade that sees Josh Smith or Al Horford leave this team, because those are the 2 guys that most people want ).

Or it could be option #3 . . . re-sign JJ at a lower price

The problem with that strategy, is that if LeBron and Wade switch teams, you're going to see a domino effect take place throughout the league. There are just going to be too many teams with cap space, that could possibly offer JJ more than a 15 million a year deal next summer, if they choose to do so.

- Minnesota
- New Jersey
- LA Clippers
- NY Knicks
- possibly Houston ( because McGrady's contract expires next season )
- if Lebron leaves Cleveland, then Cleveland
- if Wade leaves Miami, then Miami ( Hell . . . Miami could possibly do it, even if they do re-sign Wade )

Maybe a 4th option, would be to have JJ still on the market next summer, but not renounce his rights, so that the Hawks could possibly do a sign and trade for somebody(s).

I understand what the Hawks are doing. They're trying to see if JJ is a guy that you can win a title with, if you have the right pieces around him.

It's Russian Roulette though. I can see us losing JJ, then not being able to do anything. We'll end up the exact same way that Chicago did, when they basically lost Ben Gordon for nothing.

My prediction is this . . and I said this over the summer. If the Hawks struggle, they're going to be looking to trade JJ before the trading deadline.

They'll end up trading him for a cat like Kevin Martin of Sacramento, along with an expiring contract to make the numbers match . . like a Desmond Mason or somebody. And they'll try to sell us on the fact that Martin is a good shooter ( possibly even better than JJ ), and that we can rely on his shooting for the next 4 years.

But like with the Danny Manning / Nique trade, the effect probably wouldn't hurt the Hawks tremendously . . until the playoffs came around.

Then Martin would get really exposed as the non-defensive playing guard that he is. And we'd have 2 of those guys on the team ( Martin and Crawford ), who can score, but won't play a lick of defense.

We get bounced out in the 1st round in 7 games, and all hell would break loose . . . starting with Woody being fired . . . and probably ending with Smoove being traded.

Great post. Post of the month.

#12 TheNorthCydeRises

TheNorthCydeRises

Hall of Fame

• Squawkers
  • 6,733 posts
  • Joined 25-October 13

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:05 PM

No we wouldn't.

Because you'd still need the scenario to develop that JB talked about. And that is either Smoove or Marvin would have to become a star caliber player. For Smoove, we're talking about him shooting 50+% FG, scoring 20 ppg and grabbing 10 rebs. It if's Marvin, we're talking about him scoring somewhere around 20 ppg, while shooting in the high-40% FG, and at least in the low-40% 3FG.

If a team wants to win a title in this league, this is usually the formula:

- at least 2 All-Star caliber players ( preferably a guard + a PF or C . . with one of those guys being at least a 1st or 2nd team All-NBA player )

- a 3rd player who can occasionally play at a star level

- overall, a top 10 defensive team ( preferably a top 5 one )

If you usually don't have ALL of those components on your team, you're usually not winning a title, or in contention for one.

#13 jerrywest

jerrywest

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 06-July 02

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:12 PM

Compared to regular seasons, JJ's post-seasons have been duds. Martin/Crawford have the potential to go Gordon.

Edited by jerrywest, 22 September 2009 - 05:14 PM.

#14 High5

High5

Starter

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts
  • Joined 16-June 06

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

No we wouldn't.

Look at the Heat team Wade willed to a title. We don't have a Shaq, but we're better at pretty much everything else. Plus Wade is a better player now.

#15 jy23

jy23

Starter

• Political Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Joined 07-July 09

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:51 PM

No we wouldn't.

Because you'd still need the scenario to develop that JB talked about. And that is either Smoove or Marvin would have to become a star caliber player. For Smoove, we're talking about him shooting 50+% FG, scoring 20 ppg and grabbing 10 rebs. It if's Marvin, we're talking about him scoring somewhere around 20 ppg, while shooting in the high-40% FG, and at least in the low-40% 3FG.

If a team wants to win a title in this league, this is usually the formula:

- at least 2 All-Star caliber players ( preferably a guard + a PF or C . . with one of those guys being at least a 1st or 2nd team All-NBA player )

- a 3rd player who can occasionally play at a star level

- overall, a top 10 defensive team ( preferably a top 5 one )

If you usually don't have ALL of those components on your team, you're usually not winning a title, or in contention for one.

Where was all of this on that team that wade won a title with, besides Shaq they were ALL second rate to the players that we have on our team. He basically won that title by himself. We have a pretty good defensive team and adding him would def put us into the top 5 range. If wade were on this team we would be a title contender, what player are you looking at?