Photo
- - - - -

If Woody won't let Teague play this year

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 jerrywest

jerrywest

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 06-July 02

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:10 AM

Acie Law is the 13th man in Charlotte playing behind Felton, Augustine and Flip. They will give him away just to drop the salary.

What about Iverson at vetaran minimum? He hasn't signed with Sixers yet. He will have to totally change his game here. Will he?

Our salary is about $20 million lower than the top 10 contenders (average). Can't we get someone for this year?

#2 Gray Mule

Gray Mule

Hawksquawk Elder

• Squawk Supporter
  • 5,913 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

If Woody won't play Agent 0, why should we believe he would play his replacement?

It ain't happening. No matter who we signed, they would be #12 on the bench.
Woody is afraid. He's scared of his bench. He don't trust them. Never has,
regardless of who he has. Crawford, Zaza and just maybe one other player.
That's it. Barring injuries, the only thing the remainder of the bench gets is a
ringside seat for the action.

:cant believe:

#3 NineOhTheRino

NineOhTheRino

ICEHOUSE Connoisseur

• Squawk Supporter
  • 3,504 posts
  • Joined 14-October 08

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

Acie Law is the 13th man in Charlotte playing behind Felton, Augustine and Flip. They will give him away just to drop the salary.

What about Iverson at vetaran minimum? He hasn't signed with Sixers yet. He will have to totally change his game here. Will he?

Our salary is about $20 million lower than the top 10 contenders (average). Can't we get someone for this year?

Sounds great but don't bank on getting a cosign from anyone other than me. The problem is defense. No way Woody would put Bibby and AI on the floor at the same time and we know Crawford / AI would be a disaster offensively and defensively.

#4 AHF

AHF

General Manager

• Moderators
  • 20,707 posts
  • Joined 26-January 04

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:28 AM

No to Law, who wouldn't play here anyway. And **** no to Iverson, who would destroy our team chemistry and create a huge distraction.

#5 spotatl

spotatl

Starter

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 27-October 09

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:38 AM

I'd LOVE the team to go after Mike Conley. The Grizzlies are an inept organization and I think that Conley has done good things when he has had the chance. Not quite sure what his value is at this point but I'd love to see the Hawks make a move.

Edited by spotatl, 02 December 2009 - 09:39 AM.

#6 jerrywest

jerrywest

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 06-July 02

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:47 AM

We need an experienced big point guard who

is trusted by Woody. (not Acie)
doesn't get destroyed by other team's back up point guards.
plays within the team concept. (no AI)
can defy JJ, like Flip did.

Where is Royal Ivey? Sixers don't need him.

#7 NineOhTheRino

NineOhTheRino

ICEHOUSE Connoisseur

• Squawk Supporter
  • 3,504 posts
  • Joined 14-October 08

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

We need an experienced big point guard who

is trusted by Woody. (not Acie)
doesn't get destroyed by other team's back up point guards.
plays within the team concept. (no AI)
can defy JJ, like Flip did.

Where is Royal Ivey? Sixers don't need him.

Royal Ivey has to be one of the worst offensive players in the history of basketball. But Woody loves the dude so maybe it's not that far of a reach.

Edited by NineOhTheRino, 02 December 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#8 mrhonline

mrhonline

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 9,818 posts
  • Joined 15-July 02

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

The good news is that Teague is 4th among rookies in AST%, first in STL%, and first among "PGs" (excluding Evans) in DReb%.

Once his outside shot improves and he learns how to get foul calls inside, he'll be a fine backup PG.  I'd rather see him get small increases in minutes over the course of the season than bring in a vet backup.

#9 jerrywest

jerrywest

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • 3,352 posts
  • Joined 06-July 02

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

The good news is that Teague is 4th among rookies in AST%, first in STL%, and first among "PGs" (excluding Evans) in DReb%.

Once his outside shot improves and he learns how to get foul calls inside, he'll be a fine backup PG. I'd rather see him get small increases in minutes over the course of the season than bring in a vet backup.

Look guys, I think Teague has all star potential if he is allowed to learn through his mistakes. We are talking Woody here. He needs his TL/Ivey.

#10 mrhonline

mrhonline

Assistant Coach

• Moderators
  • 9,818 posts
  • Joined 15-July 02

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Here's Mo Williams' stats as a rookie prior to the All-Star break:

ESPN

Edited by mrhonline, 02 December 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#11 AHF

AHF

General Manager

• Moderators
  • 20,707 posts
  • Joined 26-January 04

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

Woody, take note:

14.4 mpg

#12 spotatl

spotatl

Starter

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 27-October 09

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:23 AM

I'll say once again that I trust Woodson on his judgment of Rookies more than I would anyone else here. When people were bitching about Salim not playing enough people blamed woodson- it turned out Salim just wasn't good enough. The exact same thing happened with Acie. I do like Teague more than I ever did Acie but I am not ready at all to say that Woodson is making a mistake by not playing Teague. This is a team that intends to get home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs- you need to pick and choose the spots to play a rookie. And when the second unit is getting killed (unlike last year) then I think we just need to give it some time.

And if Teague is still not ready as the season goes on go out and trade for a backup PG from a team thats destined for the lottery. The Hawks don't ahve a ton of salary filler which is the biggest problem with that plan.

#13 macdaddy

macdaddy

Starter

• Squawk Supporter
  • 6,511 posts
  • Joined 11-November 03

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

I'll say once again that I trust Woodson on his judgment of Rookies more than I would anyone else here. When people were bitching about Salim not playing enough people blamed woodson- it turned out Salim just wasn't good enough. The exact same thing happened with Acie. I do like Teague more than I ever did Acie but I am not ready at all to say that Woodson is making a mistake by not playing Teague. This is a team that intends to get home court advantage in the first round of the playoffs- you need to pick and choose the spots to play a rookie. And when the second unit is getting killed (unlike last year) then I think we just need to give it some time.

And if Teague is still not ready as the season goes on go out and trade for a backup PG from a team thats destined for the lottery. The Hawks don't ahve a ton of salary filler which is the biggest problem with that plan.

Whether Teague is going to be good or not Woody made a clear statement that he considered Teague and the rest of the bench to be nba caliber and "an important part of what we're doing". He declared that he "had to find a way" to expand his rotation to 9 or 10 guys and reduce starter minutes. One month into the season we're seeing him revert to his short bench and big minutes for starters.

#14 Swatguy

Swatguy

All-Star

• Squawk Supporter
  • 3,080 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

If Woody won't play Agent 0, why should we believe he would play his replacement?

It ain't happening. No matter who we signed, they would be #12 on the bench.
Woody is afraid. He's scared of his bench. He don't trust them. Never has,
regardless of who he has. Crawford, Zaza and just maybe one other player.
That's it. Barring injuries, the only thing the remainder of the bench gets is a
ringside seat for the action.

:cant believe:

Woody is afraid?

What benchwarmer for Woody has ever amounted to a hill of beans?
This Woody hate is sick.

I see, he should have played _______, ah Who?

Jeff will play if and when he is ready to contribute.
You Play The Game To Win.
Pro's gotta come ready or they sit the bench.

#15 spotatl

spotatl

Starter

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • Joined 27-October 09

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

Saying nice things about players in the offseason is great- playing guys who will hurt the team is a whole different matter. The team screwed up by signing Collins- Woodson shouldn't make the mistake worse by actually playing him. The team screwed up by drafting Acie Law- Woodson shouldn't have made the problem worse by playing him. Evans Has struggled. Woodson has gotten what he can out of Zaza. Teague just doesn't look ready. I'm sorry but when the backups are already killing the Hawks then I don't see the rationale for giving them more minutes.

When Teague is off the floor the Hawks outscore the opposition by 7.4 points/100 possessions. When he is on the court the Hawks are outscored by 2.2.

When Evans is off the floor the hawks outscore the opposition by 12.4 points/100 possessions. When he is on the court the Hawks are outscored by [b]11.7!/b]

Last year the Hawks were significantly better with Murray on the court and Woodson gave him more minutes to reward the good play.

This is a serious question- how many games are you willing to lose to give Teague and Evans more minutes? Because maybe you do think that losing a couple extra games during the regular season will mean winning a couple extra games in the playoffs which would easily be worth it. But you shoudl at least say that now.