Photo
- - - - -

I just got some Inside Info from Sekou!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
40 replies to this topic

#1 gutz

gutz

6th Man

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:06 PM

So I live in the Vinings/Smyrna area right off exit 17 South Atlanta Rd in the West Village and was down at my local Kroger store and run into Sekou Smith shopping tonight. I stopped and talked to him for about 20min. on everything Hawks basketball. Main thing he told me that no one apparently knows about is he said Jamal Crawford is planning on holding out of training camp to demand a contract extension. He said just wait till training camp opens and he has heard Crawford won't show up. Seemed like a real down to earth guy and tells like it is. I always liked him as the blog guy for ajc covering the Hawks before he went to NBA TV which is also in Atlanta. We are screwed if Crawford tries to hold out.

#2 Brotha2ThaNite

Brotha2ThaNite

Starter

• Political Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Joined 22-November 07

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:14 PM

small world, I'm not very far from that store. In fact I used to walk to that store from my old place.

Thanks for the info.

#3 GameTime

GameTime

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,425 posts
  • Joined 28-January 08

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

If Sund knows this he needs to be traded before it happens.

#4 MaceCase

MaceCase

Hall of Fame

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts
  • Joined 08-April 09

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

The ship be sinkin'

Two things came to mind first:

1) Neither Sund nor the ASG will budge off Al being the priority leaving Jamal in the cold.
2) News like this could ruin some of our leverage of trading his expiring deal. He has to be viewed as just that, an expiring deal because unless a team is sold on him and his talent in the long run he is just as likely to commit the same actions with them in regards to his contract demands and not perform.

Then I came to my senses and realized this is the NBA, holdouts are neither common nor effective especially considering that he wants an extension. If he just wanted out of Atlanta, sure. To get more money? No.
It's within his best interest to put up numbers and play than holdout if he wants other teams and us to deem him worthy of a lucrative offer.

#5 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

So I live in the Vinings/Smyrna area right off exit 17 South Atlanta Rd in the West Village and was down at my local Kroger store and run into Sekou Smith shopping tonight. I stopped and talked to him for about 20min. on everything Hawks basketball. Main thing he told me that no one apparently knows about is he said Jamal Crawford is planning on holding out of training camp to demand a contract extension. He said just wait till training camp opens and he has heard Crawford won't show up. Seemed like a real down to earth guy and tells like it is. I always liked him as the blog guy for ajc covering the Hawks before he went to NBA TV which is also in Atlanta. We are screwed if Crawford tries to hold out.

That doesn't seem to fit Crawford's character.
I think Craw is too much of a professional to hold out... I may be wrong, but I just don't see him doing that. The test is that Camp will start up in about a month. We shall see then.

#6 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:47 PM

The ship be sinkin'

Two things came to mind first:

1) Neither Sund nor the ASG will budge off Al being the priority leaving Jamal in the cold.
2) News like this could ruin some of our leverage of trading his expiring deal. He has to be viewed as just that, an expiring deal because unless a team is sold on him and his talent in the long run he is just as likely to commit the same actions with them in regards to his contract demands and not perform.

Then I came to my senses and realized this is the NBA, holdouts are neither common nor effective especially considering that he wants an extension. If he just wanted out of Atlanta, sure. To get more money? No.
It's within his best interest to put up numbers and play than holdout if he wants other teams and us to deem him worthy of a lucrative offer.

Of course, I'm skeptical. However, you make a few points that I have to consider.

1st point you make...

Al's going into free agency with Craw. He had to see what happened when Sund dealt with Smoove and Chillz at the same time and Al is a priority. Maybe Craw wants to get his paper work done before it gets to that point.

2nd point.. You didn't make but:
New CBA will be in effect next offseason or we will be in a lockout. Either way, the haves have and the have nots have not. There's no telling how the deals will shake out.

This thing is growing teeth in my mind. It makes too much sense for Craw to push the envelope. However, nobody makes friends with FO by holding out. This is where my skepticism comes back:

I heard Craw say recently (while interviewed) that he wants to continue to play for the Hawks beyond this season.

Craw wants an extension, I wonder if he'd take a re-structured deal? Maybe a backloaded deal ala Camby? Such a deal would allow us to resign him and still have the wherewithall to resign Horf.

My personal belief though is that the new CBA will not have a LT. Just a high hard Salary Cap with Bird rights for a few players.

#7 Hotlanta1981

Hotlanta1981

Head Coach

• Political Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,719 posts
  • Joined 26-September 03

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Of course, I'm skeptical. However, you make a few points that I have to consider.

1st point you make...

Al's going into free agency with Craw. He had to see what happened when Sund dealt with Smoove and Chillz at the same time and Al is a priority. Maybe Craw wants to get his paper work done before it gets to that point.

2nd point.. You didn't make but:
New CBA will be in effect next offseason or we will be in a lockout. Either way, the haves have and the have nots have not. There's no telling how the deals will shake out.

This thing is growing teeth in my mind. It makes too much sense for Craw to push the envelope. However, nobody makes friends with FO by holding out. This is where my skepticism comes back:

I heard Craw say recently (while interviewed) that he wants to continue to play for the Hawks beyond this season.

Craw wants an extension, I wonder if he'd take a re-structured deal? Maybe a backloaded deal ala Camby? Such a deal would allow us to resign him and still have the wherewithall to resign Horf.

My personal belief though is that the new CBA will not have a LT. Just a high hard Salary Cap with Bird rights for a few players.

There should be severe consequences for players that do this.

#8 gutz

gutz

6th Man

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Joined 24-July 06

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

I agree with you Diesel as i just can't see Crawford holding out. But Sekou seemed pretty darn sure of it when I said no way Crawford would do that. But apparently with the new CBA coming in next year Craw is desperate to get something done now.

#9 KB21

KB21

Assistant Coach

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,397 posts
  • Joined 10-June 02

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:28 PM

The Hawks are really not in a great position with Jamal Crawford at this point. Yes, they pretty much control him for the year, and his contract will be an attractive trading piece for the team. However, Jamal showed his true value this past season is as a sixth man, though a 6th man that was asked to be the main scoring threat when he wasn't on the floor with Joe Johnson. Jamal just had the best season of his career as a 6th man. Because of this, I think it is unlikely that the Hawks will get the value he actually gave him this past season in a trade unless he is attached to someone else in a deal that brings back a star player. Jamal posted 7.3 win shares and 0.143 WS/48 this past season, both are career highs. It is highly unlikely that the Hawks will get a 7-8 WS player in return for Jamal Crawford. Maybe there will be a team out there though that will look at Jamal's season last year and think that he will be the difference between them making the playoffs or not.

#10 AnthonyI11

AnthonyI11

Role Player

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • Joined 26-July 08

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:46 PM

Isn't Jamal Crawford under contract? How can he hold out? Isn't that a breach of contract or anything?

#11 hawksfanatic

hawksfanatic

Rumple Minze Connoisseur

• Amount:
  • Squawk Supporter
  • 7,569 posts
  • Joined 18-April 05

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:20 PM

When was the last time an NBA player went through a hold out? I cannot remember, but this seems extremely out of character for Jamal. Not sure if I believe this.

#12 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 11 August 2010 - 02:28 AM

When was the last time an NBA player went through a hold out? I cannot remember, but this seems extremely out of character for Jamal. Not sure if I believe this.

The last case I remember is Stevie Franchise. The NBA doesn't really give you a reason to hold out. I figure it's rare that a guy wants to hold out in order to stay with the team he's playing for. Usually, it's the other way around.

#13 DrReality

DrReality

Assistant Coach

• Squawk Supporter
  • 14,769 posts
  • Joined 25-September 05

Posted 11 August 2010 - 06:53 AM

There should be severe consequences for players that do this.

Totally agree. Give the new guys some PT to get them started. Think he will shoot himself in the foot cuz the ASG will set Al as the priority.

#14 Swatguy

Swatguy

All-Star

• Squawk Supporter
  • 3,080 posts
  • Joined 05-October 05

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:19 AM

Sekou did not say he "planned to hold out". He did say "no one should be surprised if it happens." Obviously, he cannot say anything on the record about that. Otherwise, he'd have written it already.

So Sekou did not say Jamal has planned such.

#15 HawkItus

HawkItus

6th Man

• Political Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,385 posts
  • Joined 06-May 08

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:48 AM

Well he can holdout. But, it would serve no purpose for him to do so. The team can fine him for not coming to mandatory camp. Then when games start he won't get paid. He's a free agent if he completes this year, but if he holds out they can delay his free agency. Not to mention that this is his last/best chance to get a big contract. If he is a trouble maker he is less likely to get payed. If Sekou said this I think he might be a little crazy. Free Agency is what players in the NBA live for. Why would he jeopardize that?