Photo
- - - - -

No Show Joe.. Or No Show Josh.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

Somebody commented that in the playoffs Joe Johnson became No Show Joe.

So I said... What about the Playoffs... Who was the missing man?

Joe's season Averages:

18.8, 3.9, and 3.7

In our Losses in the Playoffs.

Joe -
22 pt, 5 a, 4 rebs
29, 8, and 2
9, 3, and 1
17, 2, and 1.

Josh's Season's Averages
18.8, 3.9, and 9.6

In our losses in the playoffs.

Josh-
16, 5, and 12
15, 5, and 13
18, 4, and 9

Seems to me that in the playoffs, Joe Exceeded his averages.

#2 AHF

AHF

General Manager

• Moderators
  • 20,888 posts
  • Joined 26-January 04

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:01 PM

I can see why you only used the losses instead of all 6 games. Joe scored 11 and 15 points in our two wins.For the playoffs, Joe averaged 17 points per game on 45.8% TS%. He put up an 11.8 PER and a .042 WS/48.For the regular season, Joe averaged a 55.7% TS%, an 18.8 PER, and a .157 WS/48.That is a huge letdown.(Josh also was worse except that he stepped up in rebounding which made his PER and WS/48 numbers 50% better than Joe's.)

#3 pimp

pimp

Starter

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts
  • Joined 21-July 04

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

You have to remember that Josh got injured in one game, then missed the next game. The game without Josh was an overtime game ,where Joe shot 28 times and scored 29 points (his highest scoring game in the series). He would not have gotten as many attempts if Josh were there .

#4 benhillboy

benhillboy

All-Star

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,643 posts
  • Joined 22-January 09

Posted 13 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I don't know why you out up stats in losses, but hey. If you're impressed by 37 and 25 percent shooting from the field and three respectively in 41 playoff minutes per, you must have the largest (and only) collection of Joe Johnson memorabilia in your home for a non-family fan. You know full well Atlanta's fan base could care less about the guy, yet you make it seem farfetched that this city hasn't embraced him and call people stupid who want him gone? Are millions of people wrong and you're right? Are the countless newspaper outlets or analysts calling for him to "step up", which he never does, totally oblivious to what theyre talking about? You can empathize and reason with people who dislike or disredard Joe because we're the majority, but it's impossible for us to see things your way because it's crystal clear his time is done. You don't mind Joe leaving under optimum circumstances and great compensation. That's ludicrous to me. I want his contract wiped clean no matter the cost simply because that's what should happen to a guy shooting 37 percent in the playoffs with a max deal. I think you're demented sometimes in your praise of Joe. That or you refuse to watch other scorers around the league who are actually great. There are a bunch. No I don't care if he's double teamed (just a simple strategy to beat us, who wouldnt?), no I don't care about what we'll replace him with, and no I don't care how many coaches rewarded him with a spot at the end of the All-Star bench for logging heavy minutes and being the next best 2 guard after the depth falls off a cliff after Wade. His contract calls for a destroy and rebuild, period. I know you're quite intelligent, why you cannot see that is beyond me.

Edited by benhillboy, 13 June 2012 - 04:11 PM.

#5 EazyRoc

EazyRoc

Starter

• Squawk Supporter
  • 3,370 posts
  • Joined 23-May 08

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:40 PM

Real selective with the stats he used. Another thing that bugged me is that Joe couldn't really slow Paul Pierce down either on top of being absolutely garbage offensively.

#6 Pmeehan

Pmeehan

Summer League

• Facebook Member
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

yea... that was me who said that. I still firmly believe that he disappeared because Joe Johnson is expected to be better than that. Yes, he's human , but when you are supposed to be the leader of your team and you dont speak up.....and when you shoot that percentage...I am open for debate on the subject, but I just felt he should have done better...wasnt smith playing injured too?

#7 Pmeehan

Pmeehan

Summer League

• Facebook Member
  • 93 posts
  • Joined 07-March 12

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:51 PM

I don't know why you out up stats in losses, but hey. If you're impressed by 37 and 25 percent shooting from the field and three respectively in 41 playoff minutes per, you must have the largest (and only) collection of Joe Johnson memorabilia in your home for a non-family fan. You know full well Atlanta's fan base could care less about the guy, yet you make it seem farfetched that this city hasn't embraced him and call people stupid who want him gone? Are millions of people wrong and you're right? Are the countless newspaper outlets or analysts calling for him to "step up", which he never does, totally oblivious to what theyre talking about? You can empathize and reason with people who dislike or disredard Joe because we're the majority, but it's impossible for us to see things your way because it's crystal clear his time is done. You don't mind Joe leaving under optimum circumstances and great compensation. That's ludicrous to me. I want his contract wiped clean no matter the cost simply because that's what should happen to a guy shooting 37 percent in the playoffs with a max deal. I think you're demented sometimes in your praise of Joe. That or you refuse to watch other scorers around the league who are actually great. There are a bunch. No I don't care if he's double teamed (just a simple strategy to beat us, who wouldnt?), no I don't care about what we'll replace him with, and no I don't care how many coaches rewarded him with a spot at the end of the All-Star bench for logging heavy minutes and being the next best 2 guard after the depth falls off a cliff after Wade. His contract calls for a destroy and rebuild, period. I know you're quite intelligent, why you cannot see that is beyond me.

this made my dayI still cant forget that crap he said DURING that series when the magic smoked us. Grinds my gears

#8 itsslomotionbaby

itsslomotionbaby

Role Player

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Joined 27-May 09

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

of all the people we want to complain about josh smith, joe is like a dull pear of clippers. it made me sick how pearce just willed his team to a victory not being healthy himself.

#9 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:25 AM

I can see why you only used the losses instead of all 6 games. Joe scored 11 and 15 points in our two wins.For the playoffs, Joe averaged 17 points per game on 45.8% TS%. He put up an 11.8 PER and a .042 WS/48.For the regular season, Joe averaged a 55.7% TS%, an 18.8 PER, and a .157 WS/48.That is a huge letdown.(Josh also was worse except that he stepped up in rebounding which made his PER and WS/48 numbers 50% better than Joe's.)

I used losses because if you say somebody disappeared, you're normally not talking about in wins are you??We don't need players to step up in wins... we look for players to step up when we lose.

#10 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 14 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Millions of people wanted Marvin Williams.. once upon a time. A crowd of stupid people are still a crowd of stupid people. What I'm saying is that Joe gets a bad rap... especially from fans like you. You talk about him not being able to carry the Hawks... Hello, when he's the only player on our team that gets a constant double team in the playoffs, how far do you expect him to carry us. What do you want a 80% FG%? About his contract. A contract doesn't get out on the court and play. Evaluate his game first and then talk about the contract. I think that there's people like yourself who would trade Joe for a bag of peanuts just so you can sit around and complain and sulk when we go from perennial playoff team to being the Charlotte Bobcats. I really think that there are some people who would rather see us with capspace for days but nobody to give it to because nobody would want to come to this wretched franchise.

WE HAVE BEEN THERE BEFORE... Let me tell you how it works.

We Lose, we lose, and lose... The only thing to get excited about is another draft. ON draft night, we make a bad pick.... We look forward to the open of free agency. During FAcy, most free agents use the fact that we have money to get better offers for the team that they really want to play for. We go through coach after coach. and we lose, we lose, we lose. Then someday after many failed drafts and missed free agents, we finally claw our way out of the dungeon of the NBA.. we get within sniffing distance of the third round... and the fans start worrying more about how our CAPSPACE looks more than how we look on the court. Fans start trying to be the GM and saying we should trade this player for capspace... (that will never get us anything) than for us to try to improve a good team and go farther...

I'm not saying that Joe is any kind of savior, nor I am saying that he must stay. What I am saying is that it's down right STUPID to think that trading Joe for capspace alone is what's going to help us move forward.

Mark this thread and put it in the archives and if we do one of these hairbrained Joe johnson trades, let's see where we end up... Just like I told you with Marvin... I will say it again... It's stupid to think that a playoff team gets better by trading away it's players for Cap reasons only. #LAL ODOM and FIsher.

#11 Buzzard

Buzzard

Hall of Fame

• Squawkers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,727 posts
  • Joined 08-July 04

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

I get why you used losses as well. But neither JJ or Josh played well offensively over the whole series. Josh is predictable with his single coverage and jumpers, JJ is predicatble with his dbl coverages. Seriously, who in their right mind would dbl Josh when he is standing out there?When I say Josh hurts us on offense 100% of the time, this is what I am talking about. He does not ever draw dbl teams and his man can sag off of him and give help D most of the game. No one will ever just leave JJ open.

#12 AHF

AHF

General Manager

• Moderators
  • 20,888 posts
  • Joined 26-January 04

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

I used losses because if you say somebody disappeared, you're normally not talking about in wins are you??We don't need players to step up in wins... we look for players to step up when we lose.

Joe shot 37% for the playoffs. He had exactly 0 out of 6 games where he hit more than half his shots (even his true shooting % only went above .500 in 2 of 6). He was barely better than a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio and had 1 game out of 6 where he exceeded his normal 4 rebounds per game. He made an effort to get to the line in the first 3 games and then quit doing that in the last 3.He didn't step up at all.

#13 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

I get why you used losses as well. But neither JJ or Josh played well offensively over the whole series. Josh is predictable with his single coverage and jumpers, JJ is predicatble with his dbl coverages. Seriously, who in their right mind would dbl Josh when he is standing out there?When I say Josh hurts us on offense 100% of the time, this is what I am talking about. He does not ever draw dbl teams and his man can sag off of him and give help D most of the game. No one will ever just leave JJ open.

That's one of the most important observations. This is why I continue to say, we need a real LOW POST THREAT on this team. Somebody who must be covered or else. Teams love to see us coming because they know we have two natures:1. Jump shooting team.2. Iso Team.both are easily defended.

#14 Diesel

Diesel

Deputy Commissioner

• Squawk Supporter
  • 40,494 posts
  • Joined 08-June 02

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Joe shot 37% for the playoffs. He had exactly 0 out of 6 games where he hit more than half his shots (even his true shooting % only went above .500 in 2 of 6). He was barely better than a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio and had 1 game out of 6 where he exceeded his normal 4 rebounds per game. He made an effort to get to the line in the first 3 games and then quit doing that in the last 3.He didn't step up at all.

But did Josh? Once you get past rebounds, Josh was nothing special also. The thing I note is that Joe didn't disappear. His scoring ppg eclipsed what he did in the regular season. Not Josh. For us to be a better playoff team, somebody has to step up.. Especially when Joe is doubled all game long.You know what make OKC so great? You get penalized for doubling their star. They have other players like Harden who will kill you for doubling Durant. What do we have when Joe gets doubled? Josh on the three point line?

Edited by Diesel, 14 June 2012 - 10:00 AM.

#15 EazyRoc

EazyRoc

Starter

• Squawk Supporter
  • 3,370 posts
  • Joined 23-May 08

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:37 AM

But did Josh? Once you get past rebounds, Josh was nothing special also. The thing I note is that Joe didn't disappear. His scoring ppg eclipsed what he did in the regular season. Not Josh. For us to be a better playoff team, somebody has to step up.. Especially when Joe is doubled all game long.You know what make OKC so great? You get penalized for doubling their star. They have other players like Harden who will kill you for doubling Durant. What do we have when Joe gets doubled? Josh on the three point line?

Even when Josh isn't scoring, there are other positive ways he affects the game. And for the love of god, Joe was not doubled all game every game. I'm sick of people repeating that lie. Game 6 he had wide open looks all game and just wasn't hitting them.