• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you trade Marvin for Frye or Bynum?

hotboyj

• Premium Member

Marvin being a good pick or a bad pick is dependent on the careers of Smoove, Paul, and Deron.

If Deron becomes the Next Jason Kidd.

It really won't matter if MWilliams is the next big game james that much because we passed on the next Jason Kidd to get a good Sf.

This will especially be bad if Smoove turns out to be a very good Sf.

The reason why I don't rate have an allstar Sf that high is because allstar Sf are a dime a dozen. There's a new one every year.

However, it's RARE to get an allstar PG...

Every year, it's the same old names. Jason Kidd is old now, but he's still considered the best going. That's because Nobody has come along and knocked him off the mountain. That was true for Stockton before him and Magic before him...

But How many Sfs have become a franchise??

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

You get a guy like Tim Duncan...

Put him with the Hawks...

He'd make us Championship Quality.

Shaq too.

Even Jason Kidd.

Notice the argument and don't try to change it.

I said that AT NO YR in James Worthy's career could you have taken him and put him on the Hawks and expect us to be championship Material.

Even Nique (another Sf) at his best, couldn't get more talented Hawks teams past the 2nd round of the playoffs..

My assault is against the Sf position... You don't draft a Sf because a Great Sf will not get you to a championship..

But a great PG can.

A Great C can.

Quote:

The reason why I don't rate have an allstar Sf that high is because allstar Sf are a dime a dozen. There's a new one every year.

However, it's RARE to get an allstar PG...

Every year, it's the same old names. Jason Kidd is old now, but he's still considered the best going. That's because Nobody has come along and knocked him off the mountain. That was true for Stockton before him and Magic before him...

But How many Sfs have become a franchise??

and every year there is another batch of 5+ pgs that are supposedly gonna be the ones that will knock kidd off his throne...and every year most of them turn out to be mediocre starters at best

deron/paul aren't gonna be great cause u say they will and marvin won't not be great cause u say he won't

and again, u keep leaving out a KEY part of this equation...JOE JOHNSON

your points may have been valid about wants vs needs before jj, but now that we have jj at point, we don't need deron/paul either

do you know how old Kareem was in the later years? how far his production had fallen (he wasn't the HOF then taht we all consider him now...).

When Magic was gone...honestly, that's a near decade after Worthy entered the league...and he was getting old then too!

Quote:

No... But Andrew looks to have the potential to be a star..

Potential star center > Potential star SF

Futhermore, the Hawks probably could have traded down

and ended up with Andrew and perhaps another lottery pick

and could have got a PG to boot.

The question is did Atlanta have trade down options?

I agree with this to some degree. If we could have traded down and gotten Deron, Paul or Felton along with a Frye, May or Bynum, I would have been perfectly happy with that. I personally think bynum has as much upside as Brendan Haywood (just from the reports about him when UNC was recruiting him), and he has a very shy personality which could make his development as a big man interesting to watch. I would have been upset with getting Bynum, even though he has the frame to be a big time center, he doesn't have the skills yet.

But getting any of those PGs along with a stud big man would have pleased me.

I defend Marvin as the #2 pick over ONLY taking one of the PGs with the #2 pick. I don't have any more faith in Deron or Paul than I do in Raymond (I think he'll be better than Deron, and I think Paul will be Marbury-esque), and frankly I think Jack will be as good as all 3 of them. Getting two solid pieces for that 1 pick would be worthwhile. But I'd take Marvin over any single of them them any day.

An interesting comparison is Worthy and Dominique. Worthy is considered one of the 50 greatest of all time but Dominique was left off the list. What is interesting is that Dominique was the main guy on a pretty good team while Worthy, while undoubtedly talented, did unquestionably benefit from playing alongside Magic (kind of how JJ, Stoudamire and company benefited from playing alongside Nash last year; or Kenyon and RJ playing with Kidd).

Was Worthy better then Dominique? I say no.

• Moderators

Worthy was a clutch outstanding basketball player. I would like Marvin to have that career and rise to the occassion in the playoffs. He was the third wheel on those teams, though, much like Robert Parish was at C for the Celtics of the same era behind Bird and McHale.

• Premium Member

When Kidd took NJ to the Championship Finals, the first year, do you remember the roster?

Who did they have?

How about the second year?

Who did they have?

Now.. Were those rosters more talented than what we have (even right now).

the knicks trade isnt happening... ny wont part with lee. they put the curry trade in jepordy before because they just refuse to part with him. hes ok, but iseah thinks hes better than he is, and therefore he wont get traded. besides, the knicks are more interested in al than marv