• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would you trade Marvin for Frye or Bynum?

hotboyj

• Premium Member

If Al came in and averaged 22/7, I say resign him to an extension. I appreciate rebounds, but I think the main message is the contribution to the team. Our main problem in times past has been scoring. This team that we have are built around scoring... Not defense and not rebounding... but scoring. You can't get rid of a player who is excelling at the very thing that we are trying to do...

Realistically, I think he will be a 20/9 PF. I think he will gel nicely with JJ... I think that won't matter to many of you who can't see the forrest for the trees...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I have a hunch that either Childress or Josh Smith won't be on the Hawks longer than there 3year deal. We aren't going to be able to offer long term contracts to Childress and Smith and still be able to to resign our other draft picks like Marvin(If he is the real deal) and Salim when it's time for them to get bigger deals.

actually, we can offer ALL of our players longterm contracts and still be able to resign our other players

we are allowed to go over the cap to resign our players...and ownership said they are willing to spend for a contender, so when chill/smoove become great players, they will not let them go over money...

which 'past' are you referring to that struggled so mightily with scoring? the team from last year?

If we gave al the ball enough, I have no doubt that he could average 22 ppg...but I don't think that's his game, nor how he could best serve this team.

Something will be seriously wrong with this team if Al's scoring like that...

04/05:

32% center

3% power forward

bucks best +/- percent

(and it means something since he did play enough mpg for it to matter)

also, they did NOT match our low offer for zaza...because he CAN'T play pf

neither can gad, who played 0% at pf last year nor can bogut

so if he WAS a pf, they woulda resigned him

also, his PER was double at center than pf and he kept his opps' per lower at c than pf

EVERYTHING points towards him being a cent

• Premium Member

Last year,

Al shot 45.9% from the field.

That was better than Jermaine Oneal did in Indy, Okafor did in Charlotte, & Webber did in Philly. I'm not saying that Al should be our goto guy everytime down court, but I am saying that he's good enough to be a first option.

• Premium Member

I have gone to 82games before... But more interesting is that zaza is listed as a F-C not just a C and note these interesting words about Zaza's position when we made the offer ... From a Milwaukee Commentary.

Quote:

If Pachulia returns to Milwaukee, he probably would be used to back up both the center and power forward positions. Bogut, the 7-1 rookie from the University of Utah, and the 6-11 Gadzuric are expected to get the bulk of the playing time at center.

Veteran Joe Smith and Pachulia would be expected to play at the power forward spot.

Just like us, when need dictates, a player plays a spot. Last year, the need dictated that Zaza play C because Gads was hurt... 82 game didn't tell you that huh??? Being a PF/C means that he plays C when neccessary.. Does that make him a C? Not neccessarily. As you can see, with a healthy Gads and Bogut, Milwaukee would play him primarily at PF... Strange huh? The guy you said "EVERYTHING points towards him being a cent" really was looked at as being their PF. Moreover, you said that they didn't resign him because he couldn't play PF? Please. They didn't match because they wanted to keep their money to pay Bobby Simmons, Micheal Redd, Gadzurich, and other FAs without paying the luxury tax....

Yeah.. Al isn't good enough to be a 22PPG+ scorer on a

good team. Al is good at what he was in Indy.. If he was

that great, I do believe Indy would have kept him. Also,

when I watch him it looks like he perhaps is a 3rd option

on a good team.

He can get some junk or fastbreak baskets and he can make

some jumpshots... But I just don't think he's more than a

30MPG type of player. AT PF it's worse due to has lack of

rebounding and extremely poor shot blocking. He offers

nearly nothing on the defensive side of the ball.

If Al could understand that his future is probably the

same role he left in Indy I think he'd be worth keeping.

It would be ideal for Al to average 20/10 of course but if he were to average either 15/10 or 22/7, I would be equally happy. We need rebounding from our PF of course but exactly FIVE guys in the entire league averaged better than 22/7 last year and those guys were KG, Nowitzki, LeBron, Amare and Shaq. Obviously, if Al can do that, he needs to stay here.

That being said, Al has never come CLOSE to 22/7. He averaged 17/7 last year in his best statistical season EVER in over 38 mpg. How much more productive do you expect him to get? If Al can give us 18/8 every night, I'll be VERY happy and we should try to resign him if it can be done at a reasonable salary ($7M or so to start). We can always trade him later if both Marvin and Smoove turn out to be better than him.

Trading Marvin now before we find out what we have him him is RIDICULOUS. We should not even entertain trading him for anything less than an established young STAR player and Magloire does NOT qualify.

• Premium Member

And I'm not picking on you Trace, I'm just noting for those who come with eyebrows raised and wanting to berate me for joining in on trade talks of Marvin...

This is what I said above...

Quote:

I think looking at possible trades to free up the logjam and get a big man may be something that's neccessary, but not this early. I say give MWill a yr and 1/2... By next deadline, we will know more.

I have not wavered on that thought... I think we do need to give all parties a chance under this new system... Moreover, I don't think constant turnover does nothing to help the team...

I just feel that Marvin was a wasted pick (not neccessarily a bad pick; well, yes a bad pick when you consider what we lost out on)....

ok. you feel that way. we all know it. but you also have to 'accept the fact' that we did draft him...and given that we drafted a very hyped player with the highest pick we've ever had, one from a very visible program and nationally known....the organization WILL NOT be trading him this year unless someone really comes over the top with an offer.

It simply won't happen. thereby, you waste time and energy proposing such trades and continually bringing up ways to ship Marvin out...it's not going to happen.

• Premium Member

I don't expect the Organization to trade him this year (unless it's a blockbuster that we can't turn down)..

However, it's remarks like this last one by you Weez...

I still say give it a year and 1/2... By next Feb..

BUT You try to paint the picture that I want Marvin gone by the end of business tommorow.

Where's the problem? Is it in your reading or your comprehending?

Secondly.

I just don't go with the flow...

I didn't do it with Babcock. I won't do it with BK. When he's right I will praise him. When he's wrong I will call him out. Your expectation that everyone just fall in line and "accept" is truly a lemming type suggestion...

Diesel is NOBODY's LEMMING...

lemming.jpg

Is this Hawksquawk?

go with the flow? for one as adamant about this site, you'd know that I wasn't 'for' drafting Marvin either, said so before the draft and after it. Wanted Deron.

But that's what the situation is. Continuing to harp on it (almost daily) does little good and serves absolutely no point in stimulating any meaningful threads or thoughts.

What insight are you trying to provide? What point are you trying to prove? Reality is that we have Marvin, like it or not, and as you agreed with, the organization won't be trading him anytime soon...that's not a 'lemming,' that's just facing reality.

• Premium Member

The best Sf of Marvin's type has never come close to championship. While most championship teams have a championship C.

The jury is still out on Bynum... But for the Lakers, I say it's a good risk considering what they already had....