• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Would you trade Marvin for Frye or Bynum?

hotboyj

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nba.com/history/players/worthy_bio.html

Quote:

Magic would recall that the way Worthy handled himself that first year showed immediately that he had the brains to go along with his physical gifts.

"Even though he was the No. 1 pick in the draft, he had made up his own mind that he was gonna learn from Wilkes, and he accepted his role," Johnson told the Los Angeles Daily News after Worthy retired. "That told me he was a team player, and a winner too. Most rookies would be complaining and griping, but he never did that."

By Diesel's standards, Worthy was a bum, and didn't have the mentality required to be a star.

• Premium Member

Yeah... With Championship C Kareem and Magic...

In fact, on that team, Worthy was not considered the main component... Nor the 2nd component. He was right there with Kurt Rambis... a guy who lived off of feeds from his championship PG...

Quote:

Well, there's no Magic Johnson and Kareem on the Hawks

to be the main guys.

No kidding?

Who he played with doesn't diminish the fact that Worthy is one of the greatest players in the history of the game, and that if Marvin becomes even 75% of the player Worthy was, he will have had a successful career and will be a long loved Hawk.

• Premium Member

Worthy was coming into a winning situation.

Marvin is coming into a place that is in shambles by win/loss record. Marvin as a high pick should insert himself in as a usable/important piece. I'm not suggesting that Marvin should be a troublemaker, but being a 2nd pick overall means that we should have expectations of him... and I hope he has expectations for himself... Most stars do.

Quote:

Quote:

Well, there's no Magic Johnson and Kareem on the Hawks

to be the main guys.

No kidding?

Who he played with doesn't diminish the fact that Worthy is one of the greatest players in the history of the game, and that if Marvin becomes even 75% of the player Worthy was, he will have had a successful career and will be a long loved Hawk.

It's about championships... SF/PF's don't lead teams to

championships.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Who he played with doesn't diminish the fact that Worthy is one of the greatest players in the history of the game

That's a load of BS.

Without Magic, Worthy would have been a high pick.. Period.

Worthy was not the guy who stepped up with Magic and Kareem were gone.

I recall very well, the series when Magic had to sit out... It was Byron Scott who stepped up.. not Worthy.

Moreover, who you play with does make a great difference.

Scott Williams has a ring right now because of who he played with...

When you think about the Showtime Lakers, is Worthy the first imagine in your mind? The Second? The third?

• Premium Member

True, he was 1988 NBA Finals MVP..

However, that's because he played a good game 7.. Really good against a hurt Detroit team. Do you remember the game. Isiah couldn't play, so The Lakers won by 3 pts... But If Isiah were healthy, the Lakers would have lost easily.

How about this hypothetical: If Marvin's game develops into as good a game as Big Game James' did, will you still think this is a bad pick?

If so, then you have something against Marvin that's very strange and needs a psychologist's opinion.

Marvin has a similar humility and willingness to learn and be coached that James had. He also has similar talents at a similar age. I believe he has the ability to be a star like Worthy was (and he was a star), and what Marvin can do for this team is exactly the kind of thing that the Hawks need to be a contender one day.

You're all referring to championships. We won THIRTEEN games last season! One step at a time, folks.

Marvin's a huge piece to the puzzle, and while you're bashing him and resenting him, he's learning how to take your team back to respectability. I hope you can sit back and enjoy it, instead of wasting time and energy criticising him along the way. If you choose to doubt the guy, you will be sorely disappointed.

Is he a finals MVP without two better players in Magic

and Kareem? Real point... Big men when titles and other

than the Bulls have done so the last several years.

Kareem

Hakeem

Duncan

Shaq

How many Marvin type of players have been THE GUY and

lead the team to a title? Isn't that what is expectedof Marvin? How is a 6'9 POSSIBLE tweener lead the Hawks

to a title>

Are Magic and Kareen as good as they were without Worthy?

They all make each other better. This is not a Pippin - Jordan type of debate, Worthy would have been a great player anywhere he went.

If Marvin becomes Worthy, will you be disappointed?

Please answer that.

I would be delighted all day long if anyone on this team is good enough one day to be talked about with the likes of James Worthy.

Quote:

Big men when titles and other

Convenient, leaving out 6 championships.

Marvin's supposed to be a great player for the Hawks, but winning a championship will take a hell of a lot more than any one player.

If those are your expectations for a #2 pick, to come to a team that barely bests 10 wins, and all of the sudden give that team a legitimate shot at a title, than you are insane.

What I'm asking is can Marvin be our Duncan or Shaq and

lead the Hawks to a title... What was the last SF/PF to

do that?

"If Marvin becomes Worthy, will you be disappointed?

Please answer that.

I would be delighted all day long if anyone on this team is good enough one day to be talked about with the likes of James Worthy."

I'd rather have a Duncan or Shaq than a James Worthy. If

Marvin (which there is no kind of proof he will even come

close) becomes Worthy and the hawks don't win a title it's

a failure yes.

Quote:

Quote:

Big men when titles and other

Convenient, leaving out 6 championships.

Marvin's supposed to be a great player for the Hawks, but winning a championship will take a hell of a lot more than any one player.

If those are your expectations for a #2 pick, to come to a team that barely bests 10 wins, and all of the sudden give that team a legitimate shot at a title, than you are insane.

I'm saying Marvin as a main guy will not lead the Hawks

to a title. Unless MJ comes along again and the Hawks get

him, having really good bigman is the best way to go. Yes,

the Andrew kid is probably raw... But isn't Marvin? He

gunna come in like Tim Duncan? Not likely. He's raw aswell

and didnt even start for his own team.

You can talk about why that is... But the fact is that he

didn't start for the boy ball league (NCAA) so he surely

isn't a sure thing to be a superstar in the NBA.