• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

What I liked from Last night....

Diesel

• Premium Member

The Al/Lue trapping defense.

Al did a very good job of helping with the trap. I don't know where the hell Smoove was... but Al was a defensive standout.

Good shot selection in the first half

We know (a little) how to play with a lead. Notice that we didn't shoot ourselves out of the lead, instead, when we were up, we pushed the ball to the inside for the high percentage score.

The other Hawks team that came out after the half... Put up some forced ugly shots. They forgot what brought them to the lead. I fault the ball handling. When BDiddy and Fish started to press the ball, we took too much time not getting into our offense and when we did get the ball into the halfcourt set, we rushed shots. I think tempowise, we have to work on getting the ball up and into action!

ZAZA

This guy is scrappy. We haven't had scrappy since Ira Newble...

I agree the trapping defense was especially good. Our first half defensive overall was good. That long arm player thing actually works.

I also like Marv from last night. He showed some pretty good skills with his time on the floor. Definately more impressed with him than JSMoove last night in the future of the hawks competition.

ZaZa is the man, but needs some help in the frontcourt. If he can do what he's done by himself imagine if he had some help.

Smooth needs to be stuck on the bench. He's the biggest

concern right now I think. He needs to leaern that he

ain't shyt right now. Then maybe he will actually go

out there and do something besides block one or two

shots.

It's ashame the Hawks came out swinging in the first

and second rounds, but ran out of gas in the 3rd and

got knocked out.

I agree about ZaZa. Perhaps you can start him at PF

and if you have a center that can play defense and

rebound you would have a pretty good combo.

I agree. Smooth will be on the bench based on what I saw from Marvin. Marvin has a much better all around game than Smooth and he is a rookie.

Rounds 3 and 4 have always been a problem with this team dating back to last year. Very frustating to see the team play well and in control the 1st 2 quarters and just stink the joint up in the 2nd half.

is the same problem for the past 5 years or so....they don't know when/how to change intensity.

Golden State played with a higher intensity in the 3rd and the Hawks played at the same intensity they did in the first half...

what should have happened was after about a 7-8 point run the hawks should have turned up the intensity defensely...if this means committing a bunch a fouls to slow the game down to a grind then that is what is needed...instead we play at the same intensity defensively and we give up wide open shots....

This is where the word TEAM comes to mind....because in order to turn up intensity it has to be each individual...not one or two.

I know it is early in the rebuilding process but I would love to have an experienced head coach to speed this process along.

• Premium Member

The coaching at the half was not good.

Woody doesn't know how to predict what the other guy will do next yet. That's why we came out and got WHOOPED!

Good news is you learn that by coaching.

So as the season goes on, Woody will look better.

The real question is what will happen if Stotts keeps Milwaukee Winning?

Will BK be fired?

and then you're going to complain aobut just 'recycling' coaches from the past. Doug Collins is available. He's won a lot...do you want him?

Honestly~ what was the biggest thing Al said this team needed...continuity.

Firing Woody, especially after one year and one game...is simply not the answer.

Well I am one that said let him have another FULL year before we make a true conclusion. However, with that being said I am continuing to see a disturbing trend. I saw it in pre-season and of course it happened last night.

These tremendously HUGE lapses in the 3rd and 4th quarter are not all YOUTH as people are trying to use as an excuse.

27 to 2 run???

All NBA teams make runs, that is a part of the game but this is pretty bad, especially how well they played in the 1st half. Every team has a go to strategy when they start bleeding like that. Woodson doesn't have one yet after a year and a half.

• Premium Member

I agree.

We got to give Woody time to learn and time to become a top coach. The same thing happened to Fratello his first stint with the Hawks. He was young, frustrated and Horrid. They recycled him when we got Nique and he was a great coach for us. I think that we just live with the growing pains of the players and coaches. The good news is that Woody has good "bones"... Being a student of Larry Brown does help!

• Moderators

I'm not for firing Woody now but if we endure another season of blow outs then I don't think we can wait for him to develop. I like this quote from JJ. He knows the deal:

Quote:

``We were just inexperienced,'' Johnson said. ``We had a nice lead, and when they started making their run, everybody was trying to do it themselves instead of sticking with the game plan. ... We were inexperienced at a time we needed good leadership.''

ZaZa looks great EXCEPT how to you get to this level as a 7 footer and not learn to keep the ball up. He's bringing low and putting it on the floor way too much.

I just saw the score again. Man 122 in a regulation game. That's a lot. I'm ready to forget about this one.

Think before you start posting smart remarks!!

I am talking literally a year and a half since he has been hired as a coach of the Hawks, not an NBA schedule year and a half.

Professional Coaches work year round not only during the regular season schedule....at least they are suppose to. He hasn't figured out an approach to this problem yet.