• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Boris Diaw tonight

• Premium Member

The hawks have not drafted a player no where near the calibur of Robinson or Duncan, so your point is mute IMO. It is fine to rebuild, look at the Lakers afdter Shaq left, there terrible. So, it takes a superstar player that we do not have and role players (look at SA) to win in this league. If you look over the past several years no team has dismantled like the Hawks and recovered.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

The hawks have not drafted a player no where near the calibur of Robinson or Duncan, so your point is mute IMO. It is fine to rebuild, look at the Lakers afdter Shaq left, there terrible. So, it takes a superstar player that we do not have and role players (look at SA) to win in this league. If you look over the past several years no team has dismantled like the Hawks and recovered.

Didn't the Pistons overhaul their team? What about Houston? The Bulls certainly started from scratch, and while they haven't made the Finals, they have become respectable.

Quote:

The hawks have not drafted a player no where near the calibur of Robinson or Duncan, so your point is mute IMO.

no it's not. You can't stay in mediocrity. You have to do a complete rebuild to take the chance to get a true star. Whether it works or not, it was the right choice, you have to take a shot at getting a star in this league.

Quote:

Most quality teams were built through the draft. The Suns drafted JJ, Marion and Amare. Nash was just the final piece but they were built through the draft. Chicago brought in 4 rookies last year and made the playoffs.

We don't know how good Marvin or Smoove will really be. It takes time for most players to mature. In the meantime the Hawks can keep adding talent around them and could be a good team as soon as next year, with the right moves of course.

but what reason do you have to believe that he had any interest in staying in this losing situtation other than "I think so"? He might have wanted out of the rebuilding. or he didn't like the city. or his teammates. or portland was closer to family.

the point is we don't know

Quote:

but what reason do you have to believe that he had any interest in staying in this losing situtation other than "I think so"? He might have wanted out of the rebuilding. or he didn't like the city. or his teammates. or portland was closer to family.

the point is we don't know

Actually, he is quoted as saying that the reason he is considering resigning with Portland is because they were the only team that took a chance on him - i.e. the only team that offered him a contract.

even if that's true, it's possible that he told us he wanted out of here, and then portland were the only ones who offered him a contract.

Anyhow, once again, the fact that we are crying over pryz is a very bad sign. Most teams wouldn't care if they acquired or lost him. He is a decent backup center

Quote:

Anyhow, once again, the fact that we are crying over pryz is a very bad sign. Most teams wouldn't care if they acquired or lost him. He is a decent backup center

If he plays the way he did last year he definitely isn't just a decent backup center, he would be a strong starter.

He was averaging over 3 blocks and 10 rebounds per game the last 3 months of the year if I remember correctly.

I agree that he probably chose to leave here since the Hawks had no coach, no roster, ownership in flux,and a GM on shaky ground. Also as I understand it he lost a lot of weight that summer after the season and that is why he started playing so much better.

a few months isn't a season. Collier looked unbelievable for a few months, which is why we re-signed him.

The fact is Pryz is a career 3/5 guy, averaging 5/4 this year in 27 MPG, and whose best year ever was last year's 6/8 in 24 MPG.

None of those are the stats of an NBA starter. Any NBA player can look good during a few months when everything goes well

No team but us would even think about complaining about losing a guy like this a year and a half after he was gone. He is a journeyman

Hell even a rookie like Channing Frye with a ton of centers around / in front of him is averaging almost twice the points and twice the boards in 20 MPG.

I didn't say that. I'm saying that crying over losing Pryz is retarded. Yes we would have been better off keeping Pryz, but there was no way to know at the time, and it's not like we'd be all that much better off at all

Edwards is getting 13 minutes to Pryz's 26, so half the minutes. Let's look at the stats this year:

Pryz: 5.3/4.7/2.33/1.7 (pts reb blk ast)

Edwards: 3.3/2.7/1/.7 times 2 ---> 6.6/5.4/2/1.4

Pryz gets almost exactly twice the stats edwards does. A little more points, rebounds for Edwards, and a little less blocks, assists. WHOOPEDIDOO! We'd be so much better with Pryz!

Come on now. Pryz is a bum who is a little better than the bum who is currently our backup, but I think that crying over a bum that we let walk a year and a half ago is absurd.

Let's move on.

Quote:

even if that's true, it's possible that he told us he wanted out of here, and then portland were the only ones who offered him a contract.

You really believe that a guy who apparently only got ONE contract offer from another team told the Hawks that he wanted out of here? If that is the case, the franchise is in even worse shape than I thought! I guess next thing you know, Royal Ivey will be telling us he wants out due to his lack of PT!

Quote:

Come on now. Pryz is a bum who is a little better than the bum who is currently our backup, but I think that crying over a bum that we let walk a year and a half ago is absurd.

Last March Joel averaged 3.44 blocks and 10.8 rebounds. In April he averaged 3.91 blocks and 9.5 rebounds. Pretty good for a bum.

He says earlier in his career he bulked up because he felt that was what he needed to do. Last year he decided to lose weight so he could use his quickness. Obviously it worked.

We get another full season to see if last year was a fluke.

That's exactly right. I know a few people on this board still hang on to the thought that Pryz rejected the Hawks interest. Not likely at all. The most likely scenario is that BK preferred Collier.

Pryz would make a difference on our team. I would prefer to have him over Edwards. The stats don't tell the full story. How many more shots would Pryz alter as a shot blocking presence?

Quote:

Last March Joel averaged 3.44 blocks and 10.8 rebounds. In April he averaged 3.91 blocks and 9.5 rebounds. Pretty good for a bum.

No disrespect for the dead but go back and look at collier's stats the last couple of months of the 03-04 season, he looked awesome for a couple months. That does not mean that he was awesome the next year, nor that he got us wins.

There's a reason good players average great stats over years / careers and bums only get great stats for a couple months at a time.

Quote:

No disrespect for the dead but go back and look at collier's stats the last couple of months of the 03-04 season, he looked awesome for a couple months. That does not mean that he was awesome the next year, nor that he got us wins.

There's a reason good players average great stats over years / careers and bums only get great stats for a couple months at a time.

Collier put up points because he is a shooter. In fact you could argue that he a Drobs were the best shooters on the team last year. But Collier never rebounded or blocked shots.

We don't need a 7 footer shooting 20 footers. We need one who can block shots and rebound.

Very few players can block over 3 shots and get 10 boards in a month's worth of games. Even when Joel was here he averaged 8 boards and 1.4 blocks in only 26 minutes.

By your definition Jermaine O'Neal was a bum his first four years in the league. You can't just look at the stats alone you also have to consider the circumstances.