• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do we need to call our young players' daddies?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

From Sekou @ the AJC:

Quote:

The unofficial version of what led to the players’ only meeting goes something like this: youngsters have been getting out of hand with their griping (to coaches and just in general) and a veteran player (Harrington) decided that it was time for someone to put a stop to it. It had nothing to do with Josh Smith. The griping and the changing of the lineup aren’t necessarily related, at least not directly in this case. The changing of the lineup was the result of poor play against the Warriors and Clippers. The coaching staff realized something we’ve been discussing here since we started - Lue and Johnson are the best option in the backcourt.

"Lue and Johnson are the best option in the backcourt."

Does this mean Lue is a better option at the point or there's noone capable of playing 2 gaurd other than JJ. If the former is true, is the JJ at point gaurd experiment over already??

• Moderators

You're making too big a deal out of who starts. JJ played 41 minutes. When Lue played 20 something. So JJ played point for about 14-15 minutes of the game. that may not seem like a lot but the whole reason that Lue was in there was to keep doubles off JJ while Harrington is out.

I think JJ will play point about half the game going on. This is the versatility that BK is talking about. No one said JJ would play point for 48 mintues every night. Its been 3 games . It will take him a little longer to make the adjustment. I don't think you can end any experiment after 3 games.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't think you can end any experiment after 3 games.

I don't either, but Woodson clearly doesn't agree with us, at least as far as the JJ-Childress backcourt is concerned. I think you will see either JJ-Lue, JJ-Delk/Salim for the majority of the game.

The result? The logjam at SF is even worse, because Childress is basically playing the 3 right now.

Quote:

Yes, which is why it's time to consider trading one (or more) of the four SF's for a legit big man or a better PG.

I agree 1 or more of the SFs will have to be traded at some point. However I would like to see them play for awhile first and make a deal later. I think they will all start playing better and then teams will come calling.

I really have to question BK's sanity if he thought JJ could play the point full time, especially since the rule outlawing the hand check has greatly benefited quicker guards.

What is interesting about the Hawks is that their best shooting guard plays point guard (JJ), second best shooting guard is undersized even if he played point (Salim), best small forward plays shooting guard (Childress), best point guard is really an undersized two who should be nothing more than a back-up (Lue) and all five of the teams best forwards are tweeners of one type or another (Al - 3/4, Smoove - 3/4, Childress - 2/3, Marvin - 3/4 and Zaza - 4/5).

I am not saying that the Hawks don't have talent, because I do think JJ, Al, Smoove, Childress, Marvin, Salim, etc. are each talented. But the only way to get them to work as a team is to get a coach who understands spacing and movement and a point guard who has a natural predilection to passing (think Nash, Kidd, Ford).

• Moderators

I think JJ/Delk is a great backcourt. Either one can handle the ball and they are experienced.

The one thing I don't thing we have is a logjam anywhere. We've got 4 guards who can all handle the ball. We've got Chill and smoove at 3. Al/batista at 4. ZaZa/Edwards at 5. MW can get plenty of minutes in between with injuries and all, and Donta and Ivey can play garbage time.

There's plenty of minutes for Chill, Smoove, and Marvin. If one of them was a 20 point guy it'd be different.