Next year's backcourt

VDiLetto

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Someone tell me the last team to win a Championship that didn't have a top notch defense. In the last 15 years:

San Antonio?

Detroit?

LA?

Chicago?

Houston?

Detroit?

Anyone noticing a trend?

This is as clear a message as possible. It absolutely takes good interior defense to win an NBA title. I do think good point guard play can make up for a ton of other deficiencies during the regular season. The Hawks need both a true point guard and an interior defensive presence in the worst way.

The point guard becomes even more important if the Hawks trade or do not sign Harrington, because he is one of two Hawks that can create a shot for himself. A good point guard would go a long way towards bringing out the best in the Hawks you wings (Childress, Smoove and Marvin). Next years draft seems devoid of real big men so I think the obvious route to go is point guard, since several talented ones may be available (Rondo, Gibson, Brewer, Washington, etc.). Once the Hawks get that point guard they can make the big step towards being competitive game in game out during the regular season, then they just have to get a big man (obviously no easy task, but might as well knock off one of the two needs on the team while they can).

Quote:

Who would you want first off the bench to play PG...

Salim or Ivey?

Ivey.

I think the worst mistake they can make is to play Salim at the point. I think he is similar to Ben Gordon in that the most effective use of him is at 2 guard running off of screens and allowing him to use that quick release to get his shot off. He doesn't have the ball handling skills to be an effective point, and you're wasting his ability as a shooter.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Not the only route. I think the Hawks are going to need to make a trade for either a big or a PG. We will definitely be making a trade this season.

Yep. And since our plethora of wings would bring back more value if trading for a (smaller) PG, I think that's the route the Hawks will go.

I'd like to see if the Hawks could get Watson without giving up too much. Denver needs that $ elsewhere...

Also, one of San Antonio's big men is likely to be traded, and it's probably going to have to be Nazr because Rasho is untradeable.