No Penetration = NO Wins...

Diesel

The Hawks have good shooters but with no penetration they are going to be contested most of the time.

A pg that can push the ball, penetrate and dish/finish would have a major impact on this team.

I don't have a problem with a 13 win team taking the BPA last year. But if they ignore their hole at the point next summer I think a lot of fans will really give up, including me.

Quote:

Unfortunately, the BPA really may have been Chris Paul.

who knows, maybe. But at the time we took the player that we thought was the BPA. I'm fine with that. We'll only know who the BPA is in 4-5 years. To tell you the truth, Marvin is alot more NBA ready than I expected. I haven't gotten a chance to watch any hornets game, anyone know how Paul's D looks against NBA players?

I actually don't mind the drafting of Williams. He actually has impressed. The problem is we should be trading some of the other guys for a PG or C. However, we just sit back and don't do thing to improve.

P

• Premium Member

Quote:

The problem is we should be trading some of the other guys for a PG or C. However, we just sit back and don't do thing to improve.

P

I agree that one has to go, although I'm not sure that a distributing PG couldn't be had with other parts (e.g., Donta, Delk).

As far as sitting back and waiting, I wouldn't expect anything until Dec. 15th. That's the "golden date" at which point recent acquisitions can be traded. Teams usually wait that long before making drastic personnel decisions. (Even if it's obvious that the Hawks need a better PG, things are not so obvious to other teams around the league).

Quote:

Whose a good shooter, besides Stoudamire, Johnson, and Delk?

Uhhhh....how about the guy we drafted no 2 who shot 40% from 3 as a freshman in college as well as 85% from the line. And he was 10 for 13 the last two games but mysteriously didn't get many shots tonight.

Josh Smith can be a good mid-range shooter, although right now he is streaky.

Zaza can hit the mid-range shots well too. So can Harrington....(had to add that for D).

• Premium Member

Why not compare, what we shot in the first quarter to what we shot in the remaining quarters?

Al put up 22 points BY himself in the first quarter... We scored 31 points. However, San Antonio made adjustments and we couldn't score 31 points throughout the whole 2nd half?

That has nothing to do with our defense...

Our offense got PUNKED.

When it was time for us to start trading baskets, we couldn't because we didn't have the offensive makeup to be consistent... Too many turnovers, not enough assists.

Did we have more than 5 assists??

Here's how it went on the Spurs Bench after the first half...

Popp; We're down, this is what I want you to do. Stop Al.

Bowen I can do that.

Tim Is anybody worried about the Hawks?

Parker We are a kärcher!

Ginobili Yeah, what he said.

Popp; If we shut down their best player, they will fold like a card table.

• Moderators

Exactly why our problem isn't just a lack of a 'great' PG. We need more options down low other than Al. But look at last year. Chill and Smoove while not posting up were still scoring a lot in the paint and getting lots of rebounds. Any PG that we could trade for is going to have the same problem: who do I give it to that's going to score.

• Premium Member

You have to look at each piece.

JJ is a great SG. He could be top 5-6. He had the highest three point percentage last yr.

Al is straight firepower in the post.

Marvin/Smoove are slashers.

JC is a guy who can get points like Marion.

Zaza is a PF/C who can put the ball on the floor and he can draw fouls.

A PG who can distribute, get guys the ball in their spots, and hit a shot if he is left open is exactly what we need.

Lue is just a BU quality PG. He doesn't really get us into our offensive sets. It's embarrassing that all they have to do is stop our post scoring and with all these picks, we can't get somebody to drive the lane?

Individually, our pieces look good.. BUT we lack the uniting element...

That Element is a good PG.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Exactly why our problem isn't just a lack of a 'great' PG. We need more options down low other than Al. But look at last year. Chill and Smoove while not posting up were still scoring a lot in the paint and getting lots of rebounds. Any PG that we could trade for is going to have the same problem: who do I give it to that's going to score.

Bingo.

The only two adjustments the Spurs made were:

1. To put Bowen on Al, which worked putridly well.

2. To attack the paint on offense.

A 'great' PG wouldn't have changed either of those problems. (It wouldn't have hurt either).

Quote:

Quote:

Bingo.

The only two adjustments the Spurs made were:

1. To put Bowen on Al, which worked putridly well.

2. To attack the paint on offense.

A 'great' PG wouldn't have changed either of those problems. (It wouldn't have hurt either).

I disagree, a good point guard can get players easy shots by driving and dishing. Obviously that does not help the defense, but it at least keeps the score respectible. The lack of interior defense is a huge issue, but unfortunately harder to address. If the Hawks unload Al they need a point guard to create easy shots for the young guys - cause they can't carry the Hawks for a stretch like Al can. If they trade Al, it should be for a defensive oriented big (might not be possible). Then draft a point guard, wait a year or two for seasoning, and see what happens.

• Premium Member

Again, going by hearsay huh??

San Antonio's win was more about the failure of our offense than the failure of our Defense.

We started out with 31 in the first qtr. We ended up with 79... at the end.

After the first quarter we averaged 16 pts per qtr.

Hell, Marathon Oil could have beaten us with those kind of averages.