• Raised $440 of $700 target

Subway for every player & coach after each QT

WraithSentinel

http://www.ajc.com/hawks/content/sports/ha...05/17hawks.html

Harrington credits Subway

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 11/16/05

Dallas — A Subway sandwich before tipoff Tuesday night was the fuel Al Harrington used to put up an astonishing 22 points in the first quarter against San Antonio.

In hindsight, he realizes that he should've eaten three more to make sure he maintained his 88-point pace the rest of the way as he finished the game with 23 points.

"You better believe I'm getting another one in Dallas," a smiling Harrington said of the new pregame ritual. "I'm getting everybody a sub."

It might not be the only change the 0-7 Hawks make before continuing their quest for a win at American Airlines Center tonight against the Mavericks after Tuesday's 103-79 loss to the Spurs.

Hawks coach Mike Woodson indicated that everything has to be looked at in order to help spark a team that's played just two complete games since the regular season began.

"I've got to think about lineup changes, I've got to think about maybe who I start in the third quarter," Woodson said.

"Or whatever it takes to jump start us, because now I'm searching for answers.

"We play our guts out one night like we did against Memphis and then we come apart in the second half against the Spurs. That [spurs game] was like the [season-opening] Golden State game, only then you're leading by 10 at halftime and come out and get blown out in the fourth quarter. That's mind-boggling to me."

Woodson's players are having a hard time understanding why they can't seem to put it all together as well.

"If I had the answers we'd be winning games," Joe Johnson said. "What I do know is one person can't fix this without help from everybody else. We can't start pointing fingers at anybody. Finishing games has been a problem for all of us and it's a problem that we all have to fix."

A good start would be sharing the basketball when other teams crank up the defense. The Hawks had season-low eight assists against the Spurs.

Meanwhile, the Spurs settled into a rhythm after halftime and the Hawks simply couldn't keep up the pace. "We've just got to find a way when a team goes on a run, we have to slow the game down," Harrington said. "We fall into this trap that when they score so quick and we end up trying to match that and take jump shots and end up running them into all these fast break opportunities.

"Before you know it we're down 10 or 15 points and scrambling to stay in the game. That's why we have to slow the game down and take our time and get into our sets and do what we do. Because right now, it's almost like we fall into this trap and start to panic when the game is one the line, when what we really need to be doing is rely on what we go through every single day in practice."

But just in case, Harrington said he'll be glad to finance the pregame meal at Subway for everyone.

"At this point it's whatever it takes to get a win," the Hawks co-captain said. "Whatever it takes."

• Moderators

I'm not trying to bash Woodson but he had quotes like this all last year too:

Quote:

"We play our guts out one night like we did against Memphis and then we come apart in the second half against the Spurs. That [spurs game] was like the [season-opening] Golden State game, only then you're leading by 10 at halftime and come out and get blown out in the fourth quarter. That's mind-boggling to me."

Woodson's players are having a hard time understanding why they can't seem to put it all together as well.

The players don't understand why they get blown out which is normal for young players, but it shouldn't be MIND-BOGGLING to the coach. That's what you're there for. If all you did is substitutions and draw up plays then the job would be easy. Granted we are young and not deep but the coach really seems in over his head sometimes.

"I've got to think about lineup changes, I've got to think about maybe who I start in the third quarter," Woodson said."

Salim & Joe should be our backcourt. Salim seems to be more comfortable with his ball handling lately and we need his scoring and toughness. I don't think we lose much if anything on the defensive end with Salim over Lue. Joe & Salim can share the ball handling duties.

I am tempted to say Marvin should start over Chillz but I am not sure yet. Though Marvin is another guy who can bring the ball up himself after rebounds.