• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

There may be no quick fixes...

Diesel

• Premium Member

None.

The word on the street is that both Earl Watson and Brevin Knight may be on the trading block.

I love Knight and think he would work here, but what would we have to give?

I think there are no quick fixes... I think we just have to suffer through until we can get better...

I don't think that there's even a conclusive plan for the next draft that we can postulate because our situation is one where we need a PG, we need some defense and who knows where coaching really is?

Agreed, no quick fixes however it makes you wonder what our record would be if we had drafted Chris Paul. I haven't heard Billy Knight on the radio too much since the season started, but I wish someone would ask him his rationale for skipping over Paul and D. Williams. Those kind of mistakes take years to overcome.

The rationale is that you always take the player that will be the best player. Chris Paul may be playing better than Marvin now, but that won't be the case in 2-3 years time as Marvin's game comes along. Marvin Williams is the player with the highest upside that came out of this draft. He will be the best player that came out of the past draft. That's why Atlanta took him over Paul. Chances are, Chris Paul is as good as he will ever be right now, and I personaly didn't want to use the second pick in the draft on a poor man's Kenny Anderson just because the team needed a point guard.

Quote:

Chances are, Chris Paul is as good as he will ever be right now, and I personaly didn't want to use the second pick in the draft on a poor man's Kenny Anderson just because the team needed a point guard.

BS on Paul being as good as he ever will be now. Remember, he came out after his sophmore year, so it is not like he is fully matured as a player.

The question three years from now will not be whether Marvin is the better player, but will be which player from this draft makes his team better. Who knows who that will be - could be Marvin, could be Paul, could be Bogut, could be Frye.

I rather have a guy that averages 10 points per game but can lead a team to 55+ wins a season then a guy that scores 25 but can't get a team into the playoffs.

What makes you think Marvin will be the better player 3 years down the road. First of all C.P. is only 1 yr. older than Marvin. Marvin is a tweener size wise and I don't see superior athleticism or superior basketball IQ. C.P. is already the best player and leader of the N.O. franchise and would be a perfect fit with the athletic guys we already have on roster.

• Premium Member

Quote:

What makes you think Marvin will be the better player 3 years down the road. First of all C.P. is only 1 yr. older than Marvin. Marvin is a tweener size wise and I don't see superior athleticism or superior basketball IQ. C.P. is already the best player and leader of the N.O. franchise and would be a perfect fit with the athletic guys we already have on roster.

I wouldn't call Marvin a tweener because I think he can play the 3 effectively on both sides of the ball.

As far as the potential, I think scouts are projecting him to have an inside-outside game, use his length and size to defend well inside and out, have a good sense of the game, etc.

We're just going to have to be patient and see if the scouts, the Hawks' organization, and most GM's are right about Marvin. Time will tell....

He does remind me a bit of Jamal Mashburn, perhaps with better defense down the road.

• Premium Member

This is some BS is I've ever read BS KB... Paul is playing the hardest position in the game and he's making it look easy. He's going to get better too. However, Marvin is playing the easiest position in the game and he sucks. What's hard about either forward position??

There's always this wait.. wait... wait when it comes to Marvin.. However, Your first knock on Paul was he was too small. Your second was that he didn't play good defense. Now your knock is "well he won't be better than Marvin in three years..." Everything you have said about Paul is BS and everything you're trying to sell about Marvin ("better than Jordan") is BS too.

Quote:

I rather have a guy that averages 10 points per game but can lead a team to 55+ wins a season then a guy that scores 25 but can't get a team into the playoffs.

Right now and for the forseable future, Marvin is not either of these players. He plays at a less important position(S) (i.e. "power-swing" or whatever that is) and is not a difference maker.

It's unfortunate that we didn't at least fill a team need while getting an equally good player and prospect in Deron (my choice) or Paul (not my 1st, although I would have selected him over Marvin, but apparently a better choice).

W

it's funny that so many people here seemed shocked that someone said Marvin will be the better player down the line when almost every analyst at the draft said the exact same thing..that marvin wouldn't be as good at first but in a few years would the best of the draft..

at what point did you guys forget that part?

I think it is because there are quite a few people who do not agree with the experts.

Most of these Chad Ford like "experts" and many GM's are unfortunately overly infatuated with things like "length," "potential," "athleticism," "youth," and "projectibility." Problem is none of these things wins games - mostly because basketball is a team game.

• Premium Member

I think Walter was against the pick from the beginning, but dare I say that when you look need in the face and you take want... The Want better turn out much better than the need... In this case, it seems like that's not the case.

Do you realize that Kobe and McGrady were mere mortals their rookie seasons? They both averaged about 7 ppg their rookie seasons and you know that didnt start from the first game. Not every rookie comes into the league and tears it up right away. We have to be patient with him. I was big for drafting Deron, or Paul over Marvin and still think it would have been a better choice for us, but I see enormous potential in Marvin. He has a gorgeous jumper, a ton of fire in him and loads of athleticism. It may take 2 years for us to see him start to realize his potential, but he has shown flashes and thats enough for me to know its there and not worry about him becoming the next Darko.

• Premium Member

I would be careful about forecasting greatness from Marvin.. Even when you talk about Kobe, Tmac, and KG (for that matter) all of these guys showed something on the court and they played with a certain type of aggressiveness... Kobe and KG a bit more than Tmac.

Still, watching Marvin, he doesn't seem to be even on the same level as Tim Thomas as a rookie. I understand this "young argument" but dare I mention Dwight Howard, Lebron James, Josh Smith, J.R. Smith... These guys were even younger than Marvin and they have shown more...

Still, I will give MW these next 8 games.. But so far, he sucks. SO far, his lack of contribution has been our downfall.