• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

No on court leadership

Rexhawk

Our biggest problem this season is that we do not have an on the court leader. This is one of the reasons that most fans wanted Chris Paul over Marvin. There is no one on this team that can control the tempo when things get out of hand. There is no one on this team that can run set plays without Woodson screaming them from the bench.

Here is an analysis of current leadership with the hawks:

1. JJ- Shys away from leadership repsonsiblity as evidenced by informing Woodson that he is not comfortable running the offense from the point. Non confrontational as evidenced by his feelings being hurt by Amarie for not playing defense against Wade last year.

2. Tyron Lue- no need to explain.

3. Al Harrington- Locker room leader but one on one player on the court

4. ZaZa-New team member who is a one on one player on the court.

5. Josh Smith- the closest thing to a leader on the court. He is more of an emotional leader. He fires up his teammates with dunks, block shots, other hussle plays.

6. Childress- Watches Harrington and JJ on the court instead of being aggressive.

7. Marvin and Salim- Rookies.

This is a billy knight issue. We have a good team of fowards with no one to direct them on the court. Billy has to acquire someone like Earl Watson or Brevin Knight. We need a floor general to direct the team and hold on to leads. Isn't it ironic that the Hawks haven't had a winning team since they lost their last floor general in Mookie Blaylock.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not an excuse, it's a fact

we have to be patient and see what the end result of the rebuilding brings; if we don't have a leader and can't contend in a few years, then it was not successful; if we have a leader and are contenders, then it doesn't matter what stage we are currently at, this was a successful rebuild

I agree, we need some leadership, but at the same time we need to develop what we have (ala what Nick says). Lue, I think, was supposed to provide the leadership this year, but so far that hasn't turned out too well.

Harrington is emerging, his on court leadership will come as he gets more comfortable and trusting of the other guys, esp Salim and JJ at crunch time. What we need is another guy to help Harrington out when the other team goes on a run. JJ should eventually be that guy.

We need to wait until game 25 or 30 before all the chemestry issues get worked out. There are too many new faces and too many personalities for it to be worked out right now.

but I think we need that leadership from the PG position. I think JJ would be fine as our PG if we had someone at SG who was a better shooter/scorer than he is but we don't. Playing JJ at PG is waste for us because we are putting arguably our best shooter/scorer in a position where is looking to create a shot for someone else when he probably needs to be the one who takes the shot. In other words, go get Ray Allen, LeBron, Michael Redd, Kobe, T Mac, etc and JJ is a very good option at PG. As we are currently constructed, he is better suited to play SG for us.

I think it obvious to everyone that we need a PG. I don't want to bring in a Brevin Knight or Earl Watson. We are in the building and learning stage. We need to try and get a Livingston or some other young PG and trade Childress / Harrington. If that doesn't work than we draft one with our lottery pick.

Generally teams aren't going to trade a quality pg for a swingman. Most likely the Hawks will have to play out the season as is and then try to trade for a pg or another draft pick after the season.

Knowing Knight I think it is a safe bet he will go big with the first pick if it is 1-3.

Everyone knows that we need a PG but we need a floor general. That was the impressive thing about Chris Paul in college. Everyone knew that he was captain of the Wake Forrest team. Similar to Jarett Jack at Georgia Tech. Shaun Livingston, TJ Ford, Deron Williams,etc. are all good point guards but they are not floor generals when it comes to running plays and getting people in position. Lue can call plays, but he does not have to physical talent to break down defenses and set up his teammates in positions they like to score. Where is Eric Snow?

• Premium Member

I think that when you look at the floor generals in this sport, there are a few that come to mind:

Kidd, Nash, Knight, Boykins, Snow, and Billups are guys that are established.

Deron, Livingston, and Ford are guys that are on their way...

Tweeners and unknowns are guys like Miller, Parker, Paul, BDavis, Nelson, Telfair, and Bibby...

Guys who are SGs playing PG are abundant: Francis, JT, Lue, Delk, Salim, Arenas, AI, Wade, James, Jones, Marbury, etc....

I think that what you look for in a floor general is not the ability to move players... only 3 guys in the history of the sport did that (Magic, Jackson, and Stockton)...

However, what you look for is a guy who can read defense, control the tempo of the game, and find players in their spots... I think that by the compiled list, this is prolly the hardest thing in the world to find.

AI finishes games well too but that doesn't make him a floor leader in the same vein as J Kidd. Earl makes plays and doesn't turn the ball over. That is a great quality to have and certainly a quality you would want to have at the end of the game. Still doesn't make him a pure PG.

• Premium Member

Granted. He's no kidd or Knight. Maybe he is more like a tweener.. However, I have to give his offensive tempo control and his ability to find players in their spots credit.

He's the reason why Andre' Miller is a SG and why Denver plays so well weather in the half-court or on the run...

• Premium Member

Miller at the 2...

I don't know if it has much to do with DJ or Lenard as you suggested.

If you look over Miller's career, with the exception of his 2nd 2 yrs in cleveland, he has primarily played the SG...

He started with Knight.

Knight was traded. He played alongside Murry, Person and Kemp for 2 yrs... That's an easy PG job.

But then he went to LAC. With the Clipps, it was evident that he was not as good a PG as advertised... He actually let Odom run the offense and he played more of a SG. He ressurrected his career in Denver with Boykins being his surrogate.

Hell, they could have Mike Finley and I would still suspect that somehow, he'd still do some SG play...

My question is what would he be here in Atlanta.

You know he's on the blocks.. But to get him, we'd have to give up either Al or one of the young guns..

If we sent Chillz/Delk for Miller, what would we get?

Zaza

Al/

Smoove/Marvin

JJ/Salim

Miller/Lue

is a much more balanced lineup than what we have now. That being said, how much will Miller make next year and how much will Al want next year? In addition, would we be better off with a PG from the draft next year and getting a big man in free agency or vice versa? What is Chillz ceiling? Still, worth considering.

• Premium Member

Well, I will say it like this...

I believe that Chillz will be better than Miller. I have seen Miller straight up Suck.. But I have to wonder if Miller would compliment JJ well?

It might be extreme and a thought unspoken, but we might ought to think about JJ being the one that moves. I mean, his lofty salary and his great skillset could get us a lot in return... I say this knowing that he's the best thing we have had in Atlanta.. BUT if we can't compliment him well, why not shop around..

I would definitely look at a JJ for Mobley, Wilcox, and a 1st (unpro).