• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which is worse?

exodus

Gotta say JJ shooting 27% from three. Most of his threes are open looks, and he's not hitting them.

I think JJ has not mentally adjusted to his new situation here. Some guys sign a big contract, and try to do too much to live up to it.

JJ also moved from a fourth option to a first/second option. How could that not affect your fg%?

Al also takes a lot of difficult shots. He's forced to shoot more often than a post player who just puts back offensive rebounds and gets fed easy layups when someone drives the lane. If anyone gets those shots it would be Zaza. What is his fg%?

• Premium Member

If you want to be purely statistical...

Right now, Al is much better than Rasheed Wallace, Antoine Walker, Emeka Okafor, and Andrei Kirlenko...

Does that mean you wouldn't want either of these guys?

Right NOW Dwight Gooden is probably the best FG% shooting starting PF in the game.. Does that mean that you would pick him over Webber or Duncan??

Point being... You can't just look at Statistics, you have to be aware of the situation. Al is doing what he is doing with a young team and no real PG. Same is true of JJ. Their statistics are not worth looking at right now.. However, if you were to trade Al for Diaw right now... Diaw Would suck being back in Atlanta and Al would look like a world beater in Phoenix... Is it because of the player? NO, it's because of the situation... It would be hard for Duncan to be a dominant player here!!

• Premium Member

Right now.. It doesn't matter ex. What matters is if we can find a few things:

1. Experience.

2. An offensive scheme that Works.

3. A PG.

Until we can answer those questions, being a Stat decipher doesn't help much. For instance... Did Diaw just all the sudden become an all world player??

Did it take the start of this season for Diaw to become that player that we heard about in french Circles??

Of course not...

In all your stat examination Ex, what you fail to look at is Envirionment...

Again..

If you traded Diaw for Al, do you think Diaw would still produce like he's producing now?

No you didn't ask me that question first and no Diaw wouldn't play the same here. I doubt they would put him at center and play a run and gun style just to accomodate Diaw.

Now back to the thread. Are you going to take your mouth off Al's nuts long enough to explain how he and JJ are shooting 10% worse than the rest of the team the last two games?

Quote:

Why is it that JJ and Al combined have shot over 10% worse than the rest of the team over the last two games?

They are forced to play the role of superstar on a bad team, and they are not superstars. There is no getting around that they have to take the toughest shots on the team. You can call it an excuse, but to me it's a reality.

To be even more fair. They do not always shoot 10% worse than the rest of the team. You are talking about the past two games.

Do you think Diaw would shoot at 50% if he was the 1st option on the Hawks instead of JJ?

The other players on the team take good shots and pass when they don't have a good shot. JJ and Al go 1 on 1, dribbling and holding the ball, when there are men open to pass to. They are playing selfishly and they aren't good enough to do that and score consistently.

Al and JJ don't "have to" take bad shots. That is retarded. They are CHOOSING to take bad shots.

Perhaps both of us are right.

Do Al and JJ force some shots they should not take? yes.

Given that we have a 24 second shot clock, need to establish our top two scoring options, and run plays for guys down the stretch, do we require Al and JJ to score in situations that are not ideal for them? yes.

We might just have to agree to disagree.

• Premium Member

Listen.

If Boris was here and we ran whatever offensive scheme you wanted to run to accomodate his game, he would still suck. Why? Because we don't have experience players to make him look good. Hell it's easy to look good when Nash is feeding you passes. Put Al in that situation and Al would be an allstar.

However, Al is in this situation, JJ is in this situation and they aren't as good.

Do you think JJ just all the sudden forgot how to shoot? Last yr he was about 41% from 3. That means that he would nail more than 2 of every 5 3 pters he took. Now, he's happy to shot over 30%. What happened? We don't have the PG nor the post presence to make it happen for JJ. Often times he's shooting with a hand in his face or shooting in an awkward position with time running out...

You call it an excuse.. Well hell, maybe it is... I have excuses for AL and JJ... However, if we traded them to better teams, you'd still be crying about their replacement and they would look good JUST like Diaw, JT, Hendu, and everybody else save Walker.

So when JJ was 7-24 against Indy he was just taking shots to beat the shot clock?

Or how about the Boston game, when they scored 61 pts in the first half without 1 pt from JJ? He still managed to put up 13 shots in 22 minutes (making only 4, with 5 to's). I guess he was just trying to carry the team....oops the team scored 120 pts that game with only 4 field goals from him.

I would definitely say JJ is the worse of the two but they are both playing selfishly.

The other players are on the same team, and they have less experience. Yet they are shot 44% the last two games which is fine. And still you haven't addressed it. You keep talking about players not on the team in your desparate search for excuses.

Quote:

The other players are on the same team, and they have less experience. Yet they are shot 44% the last two games which is fine. And still you haven't addressed it. You keep talking about players not on the team in your desparate search for excuses.

Allen Iverson usually shoots a lower percentage then Kyle Korver and Andre Igoudala - does that mean he should not be taking the shots?

The shooting percentages, in my opinion, are ridiculously low because of the lack of a point guard. Zaza has the same issue - a center shooting less then 45% from the floor is unacceptable.

Iverson also gets to the line and gets a ton of assists. JJ and Al do neither.

Zaza is the only Hawk that actually gets to the line. And he was shooting 8/14 last game against Mourning, who leads the league in blocks.

Zaza's only problem on offense is a lack of experience. JJ and Al can't use that excuse. You'll have to find another one.

Quote:

Iverson also gets to the line and gets a ton of assists. JJ and Al do neither.

Zaza is the only Hawk that actually gets to the line. And he was shooting 8/14 last game against Mourning, who leads the league in blocks.

Zaza's only problem on offense is a lack of experience. JJ and Al can't use that excuse. You'll have to find another one.

One game does not an accurate statistical sampling make.

I am not making excuses, other then the fact that the team lacks a point guard. So do we have faulty players - yes. I blame this on the GM and the coach for not instituting a system that utilizes the talent the team has.

Why are you so angry?