• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Regrets

AHF

• Moderators

From someone who was very supportive of the Marvin pick, I am here to say that I now feel regret for passing on Paul in the draft. I still don't slam the door shut on Marvin becoming a star and loving him in a Hawks uniform. I am totally rooting for the guy and expect he will become a bigtime part of our future. I just have started to buy into the notion that Paul will be a stud at PG and agree that we desperately need a true PG and that JJ isn't that player. I still love J-Smoove so even if Marvin becomes a stud I am at a position where I am officially conceding to Diesel that I regret not having gone with Paul based on team needs and Paul's play (although to be fair I am less enthused about Deron Williams so far and he was Diesel's top choice at #2).

I'll also echo my earlier thoughts on the 2006-07 1st round pick to Phoenix not having enough protection on it as another regret, although that isn't a change in position for me.

if we end up getting rondo and he's on paul's level, then will u have any regrets?

if we get rondo and he's on paul's level, then this worked out as best as possible because we got slim (bk does NOT get slim if we picked paul #2), jj (i still don't think they get jj if we got a pg) and zaza (we may still have gotten him, or we may have gone all out for chandler/daly/curry and not gotten zaza {and missed out on one of those others still}) AND we got marvin, who could turn into a top 3 sf

that's the whole point with the patience...until we see how everything pans out and what we can do this year/summer and what the full team of pieces that bk was able to bring together in the 2.5 years of rebuilding, we can't call this a success or failure

• Admin

I second your regrets becuase I know that if we had picked paul, we would have 5-6 wins right now, if not a few more. I still think we would have gone after JJ and I still think we would have gotten Salim and Zaza.

That said, I have nothing against marvin. The guy has a lot of talent and I think he will be an excellent player in this league. It's just disappointing to not be any better at this point than we were last year, despite dropping 70 large on JJ and picking up an excellent player in Zaza. But I an patient, I know what it takes to put together a winning team in the NBA. We can still reach our goal (25+ wins) and if we do that, I will be happy with the season.

• Moderators

I love Rondo and want to draft him this year and think this could end up working out - I just think we could actually be playing well now and in the future with Paul. I also don't know if Rondo will ever develop a jump shot which Paul already has and I expect that Rondo will take more time to impact the Hawks than Paul would have.

We could be better off going this route, Nick, but I still feel regret right now - particularly since Marvin has played a little worse than I expected on the whole so far and Chills has been much worse.

• Moderators

Quote:

I second your regrets becuase I know that if we had picked paul, we would have 5-6 wins right now, if not a few more. I still think we would have gone after JJ and I still think we would have gotten Salim and Zaza.

That said, I have nothing against marvin. The guy has a lot of talent and I think he will be an excellent player in this league. It's just disappointing to not be any better at this point than we were last year, despite dropping 70 large on JJ and picking up an excellent player in Zaza. But I an patient, I know what it takes to put together a winning team in the NBA. We can still reach our goal (25+ wins) and if we do that, I will be happy with the season.

You just said it better than I did.

• Premium Member

Well...I have no regrets about the Marvin pick, because he wasn't my guy. I'm just supremely disappointed, because I wanted Chris Paul. I liked Deron too, but Paul had that "it" about him. Passing... Shooting... Quickness... Court vision... Athleticism (sh!t, quite a few times he outrebounded entire teams)... Defense... Desire...

Just a couple inches too short for some I guess...

There was the arguement that he struggles against taller guards, and long statistical breakdowns and whatnot, but I went in and showed that in games where he struggled offensively...he'd get other people involved or he'd get his points at the FT line...where he is also a great shooter. Just a solid prospect all around...

But it is in the past...

If we weren't picking Paul, then Marvin was the player I liked...but, I will admit I was only going off of what I've read about him. Didn't watch much of him in college... I like what I see though and I don't think he's a scrub. He's quick, he's got good handles, and his shot looks natural. He could be VERY VERY special...it's just when will we reap the benefits? It's all potential at this point.

I regret the protection on that 2nd pick...but Diesel said something that made total sense and I have to concur. I mean, we have failed miserably if we are lottery bound in 2 years. At some point, you have to move forward and say, "we are trying to win games not ping pong balls."

I was good with the lottery last year. This year, I wanted to see improvement. I could care less about drafting anyone. I want to see THESE guys do something. It doesn't mean I am against drafting anyone (because I am a HUGE fan of the draft), but we got guys who need work. LOTS.

A max contract to JJ? Not a problem for me. I see something awesome in him. PG...? Probably not full time...but as a SG, he could be an amazing compliment for us. It takes 2 or 3 really good players to build a contender. I think we've got one in JJ at SG and I'm sticking by it, Chilldress be damned (and we know how supportive I've been of him).

• Premium Member

I can understand why we picked Marvin, but that does not change the fact we mage a BIG mistake in not drafting Paul or Deron. Paul has just as much superstar potential as Marvin and both Deron and Jack could start for us right now. I know that we probably would not have drafted Salim, but he and Delk do essentially the same things on the court(somebody had to say it). I still think we would've picked up both ZP and JJ which still would have been a great off season. I believe that when you're rebuilding, you have to build with known commodities. Paul, Deron, and maybe even Jack were all known commodities. They all played well in big games and had that floor general mentality that we've not had since Mookie left. True, Marvin may turn out to be a great player in 4yrs, but then what? He'll be in Miami or Los Angeles with a max contract and we'll be in Las Vegas. The fans, both fairweather and long suffering supporters, need some indication from this organization that they are not only building for the future, but that they are also committed to winning now. Drafting a true PG this summer could've accomplished both of those things. Our record may not have been that different from what it is now, but at least we could have had some reason for optimism THIS season and many to come. Sorry for the rant but this is starting to look like another long season.

Quote:

Perfectly stated.