• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

BK's Only Mistakes

Quote:

Actually there are multiple qualifiers. He's playing the 4 or 5 out there which means he's on the floor with a lot of other good playmakers who can get him the ball in scoring position.

Did you see him the other night. He looked great. Better than he EVER looked here in any one game. Its a better system with better players.

The only playmaker on the court with Diaw is Nash. Marion is a finisher. Otherwise, the rest of the Suns roster is not very talented - Raja Bell, Kurt Thomas, James Jones, Leandro Barbosa, Eddie House. Not exactly world beaters.

Good:

1) ZaZa

2) Josh @ 17

3) Salim @ 31

4) Jackson signing and trade for Harrington

5) Rebuilding through the draft

Bad:

1) Marvin Williams @ 2...not because he's a bad player, but because he isn't a better a prospect than our existing many swing players and Paul or Deron were actual, true Pgs.

2) Not resigning Pryzbilla.

Indifferent:

1) Childress @ 6...with iggy and Deng left and Jefferson on board, we got at best the 3rd best Sf and 4th best player remaining on the board. A good player still.

2) Diaw...a better player than fit here.

3) JJ for 70 million and 3, 1sts. He's a very good player, no Pg, and he causes 2 of Childress, Josh, or Marvin to sit.

Ugly:

1) Only the fact that the world's first, all-6'8" roster is this bad.

Sum total? What do we do now? All but this year's firsts are traded, there are not top tier Pgs in this upcoming draft, and we aren't remotely close without one.

W

PG is not our only glaring weakness. We are light in the britches downlow. We have absolutely no inside presence defensively....NONE!!

Zsa Zsa stats are a little overrated on this forum in that he is a defensively liability. He is not a good instinctive defensive bigman. He tries to get calls by flopping and complaining, etc.

Like I said scoring 15 and giving up 20 is counterproductive. We need some presence defensively inside along with a PG.

In a perfect world I wouth rather have Zsa Zsa playing power forward than Center.

We need a defensive Center. I would rather have defensive center thats a liability on offense (ala Tree Rollins) than the other way around. That type of center would fit better with this team.

While I do agree that ZA - ZA is a tad overrated around here, I don't think that he is a defensive liability down low. Al Harrington is much more of a liability than he is defending in the post. But yes, it is clear that in order, our two most urgent needs are

1- a distributor

2- a big defensive presence in the post

Quote:

You are forgetting a plethora of other mistakes:

1. Not resigning Pryzbilla in favor of Collier (r.i.p.). Joel signed a deal for less money.

2. Trading Nazr for basically a 2nd round pick, Donta

3. a. Trading JT, Hendu, and I believe some draft pick for Antoine and Delk (a deal in money terms that only saved us $4 million)

b. Trading Antoine for a draft pick that will probably end up being a late 1st rounder in 07.

c. Trading that pick along with a 1st rounder and Diaw for a massively overpaid JoJo

4. "Throwing in" Dan Dickau into the Rasheed trade.

5. a. Firing Terry Stotts

b. Signing Mike Woodson

6. Ivey over Duhon

7. Obinna Ekezie

8. Travis Hansen

#3 is controversial and a little abstract, but all the others are fairly straight forward and obvious bad decisions.

They aren't obvious bad decisions at all. Nazr dogged it here. Dan Dickau had trouble inbounding the ball. If you consider missing Duhon a mistake, then what, 2/3rds of the GMs in the league made that mistake. It's not so much a botched pick as it is a crapshoot of a second round.

I am not talking about just his man. True defensive big men have an effect on the entire game (everyone on the floor). Look at Mourning, Shaq, Dalambert, etc. At some point he should encounter everyone on the floor (PG down to C).

You are one that overrate Zsa Zsa. I categorize him as a scrappy, very crafty offensive player who is a defensive liability. Actually I see him more as a PF rather than a C.

A rookie and PF, Charlie V. made Zsa Zsa look silly in his limited minutes on the floor the other night. It was a mismatch. Not just that game but every game I see we get abused on the inside and no one respects us defensively on the interior. No one!!

Don't go pulling out stats all the time. Stats don't always tell the entire story. Yes his offensive stats look good on a sorry team, however he is not the answer for this team on the defensive end. Hell according to our team stats we should have more than 2 wins. There are intangibles that stats just can't show.

Bottom line, we have a bunch of backups at key positions. We need to get an athletic Center that can change things in the middle. You could add 3 to 5 more wins if we had that this year.

Quote:

or maybe Pryzbilla is unable to blossom on a less talented team where too much is asked of him. Who knows.

Portland isn't a good team and they were worse last year, when he got more minutes and put up big shotblocking and rebounding numbers. He is probably the best the Hawks could get.

Nene is overrated. He can't block shots because, like Zaza, he can't jump.

I just don't see a better defensive big that the Hawks could get through free agency or a reasonable trade.

Quote:

You are forgetting a plethora of other mistakes:

1. Not resigning Pryzbilla in favor of Collier (r.i.p.). Joel signed a deal for less money.

2. Trading Nazr for basically a 2nd round pick, Donta

3. a. Trading JT, Hendu, and I believe some draft pick for Antoine and Delk (a deal in money terms that only saved us $4 million)

b. Trading Antoine for a draft pick that will probably end up being a late 1st rounder in 07.

c. Trading that pick along with a 1st rounder and Diaw for a massively overpaid JoJo

4. "Throwing in" Dan Dickau into the Rasheed trade.

5. a. Firing Terry Stotts

b. Signing Mike Woodson

6. Ivey over Duhon

7. Obinna Ekezie

8. Travis Hansen

#3 is controversial and a little abstract, but all the others are fairly straight forward and obvious bad decisions.

LOL. Some of you guys are going to extremes now. Come on now. Citing 2nd round picks as mistakes? About 75% of the 2nd round picks in this league fail to turn out to be much of anything.

Most of the players that many of you have talked about ( Iggy, Deng, Duhon, Nelson, etc ), were or are surrounded by ALL-STAR caliber players or very good players.

Why are people ranting and raving about Iggy, when he's playing alongside Allen Iverson?

Deng and Duhon stepped into a Chicago team that had a decent PG in Hinrich, and a damn good young frontline in Curry and Chandler, along with Antonio Davis.

Even Jameer Nelson started in Orlando with Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobely in the backcourt. I'm sure they taught him a thing or two.

What the Hawks needed was a superstar player to build around. That's why you make the JJ trade and draft Marvin Williams.

I think one of the major mistakes Knight made this year, was not bringing in a scoring guard to this team. That scorer could've been at the PG position or at the SG position. If we were to play JJ at the point, we needed somebody in the backcourt with him who could provide some scoring punch. You had a lot of SG's and PG's that were available this summer. But we couldn't get a one, outside of JJ and Lue. If you put another scorer alongside JJ, that may have eased some of the pressure off of him and maybe even off of Al.

But that issue brings up another problem with the Hawks . . NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY HERE. How many guys this summer passed up this team, to play with a winner for LESS money? Even with the JJ situation, we had to overpay for him just to get him to bite.

As for the rest of you talking about Diaw, where would Diaw play on this team? And who would he take playing time from?

Does he sit Al down?

How about Smoove?

Childress? ( remember, most thought that Chill was our 3rd or 4th best player at the time )

Do we put Diaw at the point and JJ at the 2? ( remember, Diaw played the point on occasion during the Summer League in Utah. I don't remember too many people ranting and raving about Diaw then )

And what about Marvin? With Diaw on the team, do you take time away from Marvin?

People, we need to stop the "would've, could've, should've" type talk. The talk should be about using what we have now, and how to make it better, or who we can bring in to make the existing talent better.

"Would've, could've, should've" talk will only drive each and every one of you crazy.

I agree with most of your points, but I think it is fair at this point to say that drafting Chill over Iguodala was a mistake. I don't think Chill is as bad as he's looked recently, and will be a solid player, but I feel pretty darn confident that Iguodala will be better. He is a better ballhandler, better defender, better dunker, better shooter, better at creating his own shot. They are equally average passers, and Chill's only edge would be rebounding. It's not fair to ignore Iggy's talent because he is playing with AI. AI sure didn't make Webber look good last year.

Anyhow, I like Chill, but I think drafting him was a mistake. Everybody had Iggy rated ahead of Chill on draft night, and it appears that everyone but BK was right on that one. The difference between the two is certainly not a franchise-altering mistake, but it was a mistake nonetheless

Quote:

Portland isn't a good team and they were worse last year, when he got more minutes and put up big shotblocking and rebounding numbers. He is probably the best the Hawks could get.

Portland won over twice as many games as us last year. And they had Theo Ratliff and Randolph to do damage on the inside. He would have been on his own over here, on a worse team.

Look, it's possible that he would have played well, but who knows. Too many people second guess. Diaw would not be looking like an allstar if he'd stayed.

I am kind of tired of people speaking of Pryz as if we let an all star get away. The man is averaging 6 and 7. He's ok, but he's no stud. I wish people would get over it

Quote:

I am kind of tired of people speaking of Pryz as if we let an all star get away. The man is averaging 6 and 7. He's ok, but he's no stud. I wish people would get over it

[/quote

You're missing the point. It doesn't matter that he got away. What matters is that the Hawks interior defense sucks and he may be the best interior defender the Hawks can get.

If you have someone else in mind I am all ears, so to speak.

you hit on a good point there. no one wants to play for us. bk went after steven hunter in the offseason, but couldnt compete with philly. if we had succeeded in drafting jack and signing hunter, we would be a much more complete team right now.

i put the abysmal state of the franchise on the previous regime. how the owners let pete babvcock stay so long is totally beyond me.

its not the current regime's fault. id give bk and woody another couple years at least, especially with some signs of improvement over the next 12 -14 months.

meanwhile, if those on the inside think woodson cannot improve the franchise, i will trust their judgment.