• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

stay the course for now

er9dverk

I think staying the course in the only real option right now. A midseason coaching change is not likely going to help the team and there are no players available through trade (read defensive big man or pass first point guard) that will help the team.

Unfortunately, the Hawks are stuck with what they have for this season. As such, they should develop what talent they have so that they can decide which of the four small forwards on the team is a keeper and which can be traded for the desperately needed point guard or interior defense.

I agree with staying the course. One of the worst things for a young team is (continued) discontinuity...and Atlanta's had plenty of that.

Stability is paramount (moreso), given the whispered rumors of lockerroom strife and disconnect in an alleged 'age gap'

The irony of this being that the Hawks are the youngest team in the leage...I think more of what you're seeing is two semi-vets in Al and JJ, the prior playing for a contract clashing with a possible star (Smoove) who's received more hype and flashbulbs than his actual game (dunk contests aside) has warranted.

to further Smoove's (likely) discontent is the acquisition of 2nd overall pick Marvin Williams, and the fact that his draft partner, Childress, is best suited to play the same position that Smoove generally occupies...small forward.

Someone's going to the bench. That's just the way things work. Were the hawks to have a better ballhandler, pass first pg (ala Brevin Knight), JJ would move to 2, and Smoove Childress and MW would battle out for the starting sf spot...but alas that's not the case.

Unless Salim decides that he can be more of a pg (and less of a shooter), JJ will remain the primary ball handler, whether it is at the '2' or the '1'.

_________-

Sidenote: thiswas the best Hawks articles/breakdown I've read in years...how I miss JayWalker's insight. Please post more of these as they come along...fantastic coverage!