• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

One year later, the Hawks are worse...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

We look back exactly one year ago tonight, and we remember an Antoine-led victory over the Sixers to improve the Hawks' record to 3-14.

One year later, and we witness a hard-fought, but poor defensive effort vs. Denver to see the Hawks' fall to 2-15 on the season.

Meanwhile, tomorrow night's game is Woody's 100th as an Nba coach. His lifetime record? 15-84.

• Premium Member

Quote:

One year later, and we witness a hard-fought, but poor defensive effort vs. Denver to see the Hawks' fall to 2-15 on the season.

This is a very bad defensive team and for those of us who continue to harp on this point guard issue...We had 30 assist in this game and shot almost 50% from the field and still lost by 10. If it isn't aparent to you now that we need a big man that can play some defense, the light will never go on for you! And you will forever think that Zaza & Al can man the middle as long as we have Chris Paul.

• Premium Member

I should add two more sad comments:

1. After the Hawks lose to Utah, Woodson will have accomplished the lowest winning % of any NBA coach who has coached at least 100 games. His record is worse than Sidney Lowe's AND Tim Floyd's at this stage in their illustrious coaching careers.

2. These 100 games have been the third worst stretch in the history of the NBA. Only the 76ers (1971-3) and the Nuggets (1996-7) have had worse 100 game stretches.

These Hawks are officially the third worst team of all time.

blush.gif

• Admin

the record doesn't bear it out just yet. But we've been in a lot more games than we were at this point last year. We've had several games come down to the final shot, we've had several games where we battled back and were down by 1-2 points with less than a minute to go. Last season, in our first 15 games, we only had two losses that were close. Every other game was a complete blowout. We have a much better collection of players right now. We just aren't where we need to be in order to win those close games yet. We aren't team enough to win them yet.

I still say we will get 20+ wins. As the season goes on, these guys are going to get better. Right now we're just step away from being able to win some of those close games. Besides, teh law of averages has to fall in our favor sooner or later. Some of those bad calls have to go our way, some of those lucky bounces, have to bounce our way eventually.

• Admin

what, 3 games ago? They've been moving the ball and it seems like they've seen what it can do for them.

It's funny, so many people here are frustrated about the season. But not me. What frustrates me are the people who box-score watch and get all doom and gloom after 15 games. I mean everyone pretty much agreed that our "happy goal" was to win 25 games. That's less than 1/3 of our games. Did those people really expect us to consistantly win 1 of 3, all throughout the season?

• Premium Member

I don't know why the frustration. I think that you have to look at our pieces. Now, I hoped that we could win 40 games this year. It's still possible but not likely. I think we are a transition run and gun team who can score in the 100s. It's the kind of basketball we played last night.

I think we should continue to play that style... It overcomes our weaknesses. I think if we continue to run and gun, every team we play won't have defensive stoppers like Camby and Buckner.

I also think that we need to start Scrappy Doo, JJ, Al, JS, and Zaza for the next 15 games or so... I think that squad has everything we need to be successful as an open court team.

I am frustrated with the team defense...we hardly get back in transition...its not like when we had Reef and Dog not getting back and moving their feet...we have young athletes that should be able to move their feet to get back in transition. How many times do we get back doored and allow cutters to get to the front of the rim.

Quote:

I mean everyone pretty much agreed that our "happy goal" was to win 25 games.

That's not true, and that's the problem. I said 25, I remember you said 20 something, but most people here had us winning 30+, 40+, and some even in the playoffs. People thought JJ was going to be our savior and the Joshes would put up the same numbers with more talent around them. I don't think that those of us who picked us to win few games are the ones who are upset. It's mostly the ones who thought that rebuilding was over and done with and we'd be winning many games this year.

• Premium Member

I think this is a result of the growing pains of trying to learn Woody's defense.

If I could give Woody one word of advice, I would tell him...

Trap and Press for 40 minutes... (40 minutes of Hell Style)...

And in the halfcourt, play Zone...

Not a matchup Zone either... I would play some kind of Junk Defense... Like the ole Utah diamond & One...

We're young, atheletic but we lack experience.

Especially trying to immatate the Pistons defense.

It's like when Kidd, Jackson, and Mashburn tried to run the triangle offense....

If you asked those same guys to do it 3 yrs later, they would have run it to perfection, but they were too young to get it in Kidd's first year and the others' second year...

• Admin

There are basic things that players know, gte in front of a guy, put a hand up, move your feet. But team defense is a tricky thing. That's why every year there are really only 2-3 good defensive teams in the league. It's a difficult thing to grasp and even more difficult to become good at, much less great.

Getting back-doored is about more than just getting down court. It's about getting down court and getting your guys in the right positions. Otherwise getting down court just puts you in a position to get a foul.

I figured the Hawks would suck, especially early in the season when the JJ as pg experiment would be exposed. However they have been worse than I thought.

The interior D is hopeless, but could be improved by playing Smith at the 4 and Harrington at the 3. Harrington is more effective on D away from the basket, and Josh is obviously more effective closer to the basket.

Some of the problems on D last night were inexcusable though. Not getting back on D and giving up a layup after a made basket is a joke. The transition D was terrible, even when they were back. I remember one play in particular that JJ picked up the ball, which wasn't his man. Ivey should have picked up JJ's man but he didn't and the guy cut right past Ivey down the lane for a layup.

The offense will come around. They have too many shooters for it not to.

The thing about Josh Smith is this though. Outside of shot blocking, he's not a very good on the ball defender right now. He's very good at anticipating when to come off his man and help on defense, but teams can go right at him.

I personaly would rather the Hawks get out of the specific rotation type of defense and start going with more of a trapping style that will utilize these guy's long arms and athleticism.

Quote:

but teams can go right at him.

Tell that to Elton Brand. he tried that in the first game against Atlanta when Josh started against him. The result:

12 points, his low of the year.

Josh has trouble against quicker 3s but he seems to do very well against 4s.