• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Comments from everyone's favorite: Chad Ford

AHF

• Moderators

Quote:

Chip, Atlanta: Why is everyone saying that the Suns got the better end of the Joe Johnson-Boris Diaw trade? Joe Johnson is a franchise player -- the type of guy you can build a team around. Diaw is a complimentary player that could only be producing those numbers in Phoenix. I don't get it.

Chad Ford: Joe Johnson a franchise player? That's ridiculous. He is NOT a guy you build a team around. He's a very good complimentary player. Franchise players can take over games and lead their teams to victory on a consistent basis. Consider this ... this group of players -- Jalen Rose, Keith Van Horn, Eddie Jones, Juwan Howard, Tom Gugliotta -- have all had better individual seasons than Johnson is having this year and all got max dollars at one point in their careers. The teams that gave them the money have all regretted it. They're all good players who can put up numbers, but none of them are worth the max. Johnson wasn't either. You're right about Diaw. He is a complimentary player and if you compare them head-to-head, Johnson is better. But he also cost the Suns $69 million less than Johnson. I think that's why people are criticizing the trade. I think Hawks GM Billy Knight has made some disasterous moves over the past couple of seasons. The bigger mistake was not taking Chris Paul or Deron Williams over Marvin Williams. The Hawks owners have to get someone in there who knows what they're doing.

Quote:

Warren (NY, NY): Wait a second, didn't you call Marvin Williams potentially the most talented player in the draft? And I agree, Knight has done an awful job. He has a glut at the wing positions.

Chad Ford: I'm not bashing Marvin. He was my top rated prospect in the draft and I think he's going to be awesome. I had Paul rated No. 2 and the gap wasn't that big. My only point is that the Hawks needed a franchise point guard and Paul is going to be just that -- he has an outside shot at the All Star game this year. You only pick talent over position when there is a CLEAR gap between the two. There wasn't this year and now the Hawks have to figure a way, via trade, free agency or the next draft, to find that point guard. Free agency is weak at the position next year. None of the players they're willing to trade would get them a point guard the caliber of Paul in return. Their only hope is via the draft. And as good as the point guard prospects are in the draft (and Kentucky's Rajon Rondo would be a good fit for the way Atlanta wants to play) none of them are quite the prospect that Paul is. Once you take all of those factors into consideration, I think they should've drafted Paul.

Quote:

I think Hawks GM Billy Knight has made some disasterous moves over the past couple of seasons. The bigger mistake was not taking Chris Paul or Deron Williams over Marvin Williams. The Hawks owners have to get someone in there who knows what they're doing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exactly. BK has to go.

Quote:

so fire someone who has gotten us this much talent without overpaying because he drafted who everyone thought would be bpa and who everyone was saying the #2 team should take?

he has to do more than take the consensus top-2 pick #2 in the draft to get fired

I think the point of Ford's piece was that BK did overpay.

The only response you will ever need for any Chad Ford thread:

"Darko is really one of a kind. He runs the floor, handles the ball, shoots an NBA three and plays with his back to the basket. So you can slot him at the 3, 4 or 5. Okay, a few other guys can do that, too, but what sets Darko apart is his toughness in the post ... Fact is, Darko plays in attack mode at both ends of the floor. The more you push, the more he pushes back."

-- ESPN's Chad Ford on NBA Draft prospect Darko Milicic, in the June 23rd, 2003 issue of ESPN the Magazine

Quote:

disasterous

Not to be too nit-picky about it, but disasterous? grin.gif Chad Ford is a paid writer, he should know way better than to mis-spell such an easy word as that. It's *disastrous*, Chad.

But yeah, it's tough to argue with the points he's making.

Quote:

Quote:

BK paid market price for JJ...To me he is a better value than Larry Hughes,

ROFL

At least you guys didn't pay 35 million to Eddie Robinson... That may have been the lowest point in my life as a Bulls fan. Ithink JJ was a good signing if the picks weren't involved, but with the picks it makes it questionable - BK is going to have to pull a PG and a C out of his hat come draft day...