• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

IndyStar article says we are logical trade partner

Admin

Not sure if this article was posted yet, but figured I would post it in case anyone missed it.

Article: 
Any takers for Artest?

Pacers say they will try to trade him

Al Harrington, frustrated over his limited opportunities as a reserve, asked the Indiana Pacers for a trade following the 2003-04 season. He got it. To Atlanta, where he's getting all the opportunity a player could desire and is stuck with the NBA's worst team.

Had Ron Artest called his former teammate before going public with his trade request, he would have received a few earfuls of advice.

"If I was in his position, there's no way I'd ever want to leave Indiana," Harrington said in a telephone interview Monday evening. "No way in the world. To have the opportunity he had there and to be on a winning team, too? That's a no-brainer."

It's ironic, then, that Artest's wish to leave the Pacers could bring back Harrington. That, at least, is one of the more plausible scenarios as the Pacers begin their scavenger hunt for a suitable deal for their controversial All-Star forward.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Monday he'll try to grant Artest's request, but emphasized he'll remain selective. He might not be able to get equal value in return, but he'll insist on a trade that makes long-term sense.

"You can bet on that," he said.

The most logical step seems to be to try to trade Artest for a starting small forward. Walsh, however, said Stephen Jackson can make a short-term switch to small forward, as he did last season when Artest was suspended for the season's final 73 games, and that rookie Danny Granger shows promise as a long-term replacement. Those options will allow Walsh to consider players who play other positions, or to work out a package deal that includes several players.

"Whatever the best option is, that's what we'll go for," Walsh said. "You're always conscious of position and where you need help, but we have a pretty deep roster. Whatever the option is, if it's out there and it works for us, we'll take it."

Artest's salary of $6.8 million is low for a player of his caliber, which complicates the Pacers' challenge. If he is traded for one or more players, the incoming contracts would have to match his salary within 125 percent. Deals can be leveled with draft picks and/or cash.

Harrington is one of the few players reasonably close to Artest in talent who falls into that category. He's in the final year of the four-year contract extension he signed with the Pacers in October 2002, and while he has stated no public wish to leave Atlanta after this season, it's at least a strong possibility.

Atlanta, then, could get an All-Star under contract through the 2007-08 season for a player it might lose without compensation after this season. Artest has an option for the 2008-09 season and will almost certainly take it.

The Pacers, however, would risk losing Harrington after this season.

Harrington, who speaks almost daily with Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal, chose his words carefully when asked about the possibility of returning. But he wouldn't be opposed to it.

"I guess I'd embrace it and come in and play hard and play the best I could," said Harrington, who averages 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds for the Hawks. "I'm not in control of that. But I wouldn't be mad, you know what I'm saying?

"It's not my choice. But Indiana's a great team and it would be a great opportunity."

Sacramento forward Peja Stojakovic has been mentioned in trade rumors for Artest in seasons past, although Walsh said Monday he has never attempted to move Artest. Stojakovic is known as a great shooter but a poor defender and rebounder. He has slumped this season, averaging 18 points on 43 percent shooting, but is a three-time All-Star and a career 40 percent 3-point shooter.

The Kings, meanwhile, are struggling at 9-12 and might want to upgrade their defense.

Another possibility in a one-for-one trade might be Dallas swingman Jerry Stackhouse, who played one season for Pacers coach Rick Carlisle in Detroit. Stackhouse, who hasn't played this season because of a sore knee, averaged 14.9 points off the Mavericks' bench last season.

The Mavericks are emphasizing defense more under coach Avery Johnson, and Artest listed Dallas as a team he would be comfortable with in his conversation with The Star on Saturday.

Artest also listed New York and Cleveland as favorable destinations.

The Knicks seem less equipped to make a one-for-one deal, though. Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson and Malik Rose are their only players within range of Artest's salary.

Artest also said he would be willing to back up LeBron James in Cleveland. James told Cleveland reporters Monday he would welcome Artest.

"Every team in this league could use a guy like Ron Artest," James said. "There's no doubt about it."

Former Pacers guard Reggie Miller doesn't see that happening, however. Citing Harrington as an example, Miller said he expects Artest to wind up with a losing team.

"Where's (Ron) going to be happy, Toronto?" Miller said Monday. "You think Al's happy right now?

"It's like I tell guys all the time . . . the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I told Al, 'Be careful, because it ain't like (Walsh) is going to ship you to Detroit or San Antonio,' where he can come back and hurt us. That would be stupid. So if he (Artest) thinks he's going to go to New York, or if he thinks he's going to go to Cleveland -- unless they send us LeBron back -- only way he's going to Cleveland is if he's going to The Flats."

Walsh disputed that notion, however.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "It's whoever offers us the best deal for our team."