• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

You still think my 27 wins is crazy?

Nicholasp27

It doesn't look crazy but it is still unlikely. The reason is that this is still the same team. They are moving the ball better and as a result shooter better, but their D is lousy and they turn it over too much.

Today they beat a team missing 5 regulars (Camby, Martin, Nene, Boykins, and Buckner) and still got taken to overtime. Last game they beat a poor team without it's starting center. Their last two wins have been the result of very hot shooting from 3. That is hard to maintain.

I was saying regularly in November that the Hawks have good shooters and if they move the ball they will start hitting. They did and they have. However their poor defense and ball handling will keep them from reaching 27 wins.

It doesn't look quite so far fetched though. However after winning 4 of 5 they won't catch teams taking them lightly any more.

yeah but we were a camby block away from possibly winning in Denver with Camby and Buckner. We should have beaten Portland twice, we lost to Memphis by 1, we lost to Toronto by one. Overall, the refs have screwed up and we have had less than our fair share of luck. If we had only had average luck, we'd have 8-9 wins. With all that and the initial sucking, we're still winning 1/4 of our games. No reason to think we'll get worse. We should get better.

Cosidering the awful start, if the Hawks win 20, 30 or miraculously make it to 500 would that be a successful season. If JJ and Al average around 20 points a game do you make sure Al stays in Atlanta. I say anything over 30 wins then I am pumped but not now but for next year --- if JJ and al average around 20 ppg then you make sure Al stays in Atlanta because your two ballers have good chemistry

• Admin

I don't think you get it. You seem to think that everything in basketball is simply a matter of saying "lets do this" and they just go out and do it. Defense is not easy. I don't care how young and athletic your players are, or how much energy, speed and length they might have. Defense is more about positioning, rotating and simply knowing what to do in a given situation, than it is any physical trait.

Over the last week, the Hawks have played good D at times. When they have, it hasn't been because one guy was shutting down everyone on the other team. It's because they were rotating and playing sound, fundamental defense. The longer they play together and the longer they work on those things, they will continue to improve.

This is much like coaching. Where you act like the only reason that these guys weren't doing certain things, is because the coach wasn't telling them to do it. As if it were just that simple.

• Moderators

Its a successful season if they can continue to play they way they are playing on offense and improve their defense a little. My problem with them early was that they looked horrible at times not that they were losing games.

The Philly loss didn't bother me because they played solid start to finish.

Plus if my calculations are correct and we can double our win total from last year then next year we will have 52 wins. I'll take it.

Quote:

This is much like coaching. Where you act like the only reason that these guys weren't doing certain things, is because the coach wasn't telling them to do it. As if it were just that simple.

You need to stop putting words in my mouth. Again you have me criticizing the coach WHICH I HAVEN'T DONE.

Again to recap in november I was saying that JJ and Al were playing too selfishly, going 1 on 1 too much and it was killing the offense. I DIDN'T EVEN MENTION WOODY.

The reality is that the Hawks don't have the players to be a strong defensive team. I was hoping Ivey would play well enough at the point that the Hawks could take advantage of his defense but it looks like that isn't happening.

Stop just making up crap and saying I said it. If you want to debate something I have said they show me a quote and we'll discuss it.