• Raised $390 of $700 target

Harrington hopes to Stay Put!

Diesel

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JJ had the class to wait until after the season, and not talk to the media about how he would fit right in on the Hawks roster while in town to play the Hawks. I understand that it's a business, which is unfortunate...but in my opinion it's hard for the fans to get behind someone for the rest of a season that is already talking about causing matchup problems for other teams playing for Denver next year. That's just some bull-mess right there.

The bottom line is that until Al signs a contract, he is an unrestricted free agent and most likely, he will be the most sought after unrestricted FA in the league if you believe that Ben Wallace is going to resign in Detroit as most people do.

Reporters from EVERY city we play who MIGHT have a need for Big Al are going to ask him what he thinks about the local team and would he like to play there (see NY, CHI, IND, DEN). Each time, Al is going to say he would like to stay in Atlanta BUT that he likes the city and team (INDY, NY, CHI, DEN) and he will definitely consider signing with that team next year when he is a FA. You might see Al's response phrased in different ways by different reporters but the message will be exactly the same. Why? Because he would be foolish NOT to say that! He is an UNRESTRICTED FA with no security at this point and he HAS to keep his options open. What else is he going to say when he is asked these questions?

The bottom line is that if we are willing to pay Al what he WANTS, he'll be here. If we pay him the SAME as other teams, he MIGHT be here but he also might bolt for what he perceives to be a better situation. If we DON'T want to pay him, he won't be here. This is where BK has a decision to make. To me, it depends on Al's price. I'd LOVE to resign him but is he worth more than $8M-$9M a season? Not to me.

The Bulls are the only team I could see offering him more than that but they had better be careful as Hinrich, Deng, Gordon and Co. will be looking for big money in the near future. Still, they COULD do it and then just exceed the cap to resign their own FAs when the time comes.

Quote:

The bottom line is that until Al signs a contract, he is an unrestricted free agent

No actually he isn't, he is under contract with the Hawks, he won't be a free agent until after the season, which is why i have a problem with him making those comments. After the season is over, sure those comments are fine, but he isnt a free agent, he is a Hawk...obviously...

Most players wouldnt even say that, they would just decline to comment and say something about focusing on the team they are with now. but not AL...

I don't know man. Certainly, it seems that every time Al's name comes up the Pacers, Knicks, and Bulls are mentionned shortly thereafter. But every season, in the micro-market that the NBA season is, teams overpay the top FA's, which we know Al is likely to be. You might be surprised at who goes after him. I'm not thinking of any teams in particular, it just always seems to happen.

while I agree with you, this isn't exactly abnormal. It's not the polite thing to do, but it's relatively common. At the end of the day, it just depends if a player is the type to speak his mind, or a guy that gives PC replies. Al is being honest and I can appreciate that, even though it might not be the best for our team right now

If he says he plays for the Hawks and is not interested in talking about next year, how is that going to help his situation? In fact, it could HURT his situation. In addition, his comments put BK and the owners on notice that there is a LOT of interest in his services for next season. He would be foolish to wait until the season is over. If BK or the owners don't like it - give him an extension.

I agree with RedStripes on this issue. BK is well aware of the teams interested him. Even JT never made comments like that even when rumors swarmed about him being traded. Antoine Walker didn't either. Hell even Rasheed Wallace never said anything like that when he KNEW he was going to be on another team the next day.

That is just an unwritten rule. If you are under contract with a team you don't talk how it would be if you an another player on another team would play together and what postion another player could play on another team when he arrived.

I am in totally agreeance with RedStripes. Those comments were inappropriate for a player under contract with the Hawks and the possibility of getting a new contract with that team.

The problem I have with it is this...finally the Hawks are starting to win some games, and gain some confidence, and now he is making these comments...what kind of message is that sending to his teammates? What kind of message is that sending to the fans? I mean just when I'm starting to get a little excited about this season the Hawks 2nd best player and one of the 2 key components to the recent wins is out talking to the media making his pitch to the Denver Nuggets. Thats all im going to say about this, I expect he will be traded soon anyway with all the rumors going around.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The problem I have with it is this...finally the Hawks are starting to win some games, and gain some confidence, and now he is making these comments...what kind of message is that sending to his teammates? What kind of message is that sending to the fans? I mean just when I'm starting to get a little excited about this season the Hawks 2nd best player and one of the 2 key components to the recent wins is out talking to the media making his pitch to the Denver Nuggets. Thats all im going to say about this, I expect he will be traded soon anyway with all the rumors going around.

I agree with your sentiment.

I have no inside info, but I'm about 95% sure that Al knows something about trades that we don't...

I expect him to go sooner than later.

You stated

"The bottom line is that we just have to keep winning and the franchise has to show Al that we are committed to becoming a winner"

I agree --- Al right now is arguably our best player and unlike the big dollars for Al Henderson, Koncak and the likes, Harrington has proven to be a solid player and a team player. The Hawks should negotiate a deal with him unless they absolutely get back equal or greater value. If not we will start the rebuilding again errrrrrrrrr!!!. Al may not be a superstar but 18-20 points, 6 to 8 rebounds and a decent head on his shoulder is not as frequent as we may think. Chemistry takes time and this experiment is just one year in the making. Ownership, Coach and Players are brand new. Don't break up this thing up before it starts. This team has talent.

Antoine Walker DID say that he would not mind playing in several cities last year while he was still a Hawk, including NY and BOS, when he was asked about his impending free agency.

As for JT, he was a RESTRICTED FA, but still, if he had made the same comments that Al has made, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

I've heard SEVERAL players talk about the idea that they wouldn't mind playing in other cities during their final year under contract. I heard J Kidd say that when he was in his FA year. Shaq did the same thing. So did Zo. Marbury always made it clear he wanted to play in NY no matter where he was. This is not uncommon - it is just business. Heck, even LeBron said he wouldn't mind playing in NY but he was happy in CLE.

Extend him. He has made it CRYSTAL clear that he would like to stay here - if he gets paid. I think Diesel's 6 yr/$55M offer gets him signed. If it doesn't, trade him before the deadline for the best offer you can get. Right now, the best offer I've heard is Nene/Watson unless you are inclined to give Artest a shot here. Artest would be the best choice from a talent standpoint but Nene and Watson would be two VERY solid contributors (and likely starters).