• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

How much Money is NENE seeking?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

Just before the season started, Nene weighed signing a lucrative contract with the Nuggets versus becoming a restricted free agent next summer. He turned down a five-year deal that would have paid him upward of $30 million, with incentives pushing it up to $45 million to $50 million.

5 yr 50 million... That's 10 million per.

For a injury plagued C who hasn't shown much.

If the Hawks want him, they can make an offer during the offseason. With their mind set on resigning Mello, Denver won't match.

Its never that easy, just to offer a player a big contract and think his team won't match..If the Hawks have learned anything the past few years it should be that having capspace doesn't really mean anything..With all the sign and trades that occur is is VERY rare that a team just lets a restricted free agent walk away for nothing..Actually owning the rights to a restricted free agent is the best way to go..That being said, owning Nene's restricted rights versus Al being unrestricted may put the Hawks in a better postion this summer..I actually think both players will command similar dollars on the open market..

Quote:

upward of $30 million, with incentives

I guess you missed the "with incentives" part. Do you think Nene's market value has gone up or down this year? And you are still missing an important point (big surprise).

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that Nene and Pryz are the best two centers the Hawks could possibly get. We don't know which one BK would rather have. He may prefer Przybilla, who is a better shotblocker/rebounder and can be had cheaper.

However Przy is unrestricted, so there is no way to know if he will sign here.

If they get Nene, who is restricted, they can still try to sign Przy and then trade Nene. They could land a quality pg for him.

I read Chicago wants Nene. maybe we should ask mudder if they would part with Hinrich for him. I remember mudder saying he liked the way Duhon ran the offense and would consider trading Hinrich for a quality big.

• Premium Member

Quote:

That being said, owning Nene's restricted rights versus Al being unrestricted may put the Hawks in a better postion this summer..

We shouldn't rule out the fact that Nene might take the qualifying offer. I doubt it, though, because Atlanta would offer him enough $ long-term to change his mind.

His injury should keep his value lower. At the very least, the Hawks might be able to S&T Nene.

I think his market value will be on par with what Dalembert, Chandler and Curry got (although I am not sure what they did get). Is that around $50 million? I think that is a lot of money if the Hawks still intend to sign Smoove, Marvin and company down the line. Obviously the same money could go to Al, so it is hard to say.

Why did Denver trade for Kenyon Martin? I am asking because it seems like that was a huge mistake for them.

• Premium Member

So what are you saying Exodus?? I mean true colors being shown here...

You're saying all things being equal.. that BK shouldn't take a cheaper equivalent to Nene?

OR

Are you saying that The Hawks should rush out and pay big money to a player who wouldn't take a big money deal based partially on incentives.

Hell, I love incentives.

But it seems to me that you're saying that you would rather have a loaf than to have somebody who wants to play hard?

Yeah.. What exactly would Chicago part with for Nene... I bet it's not much. Probably Piakwoski and a first.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think his market value will be on par with what Dalembert, Chandler and Curry got (although I am not sure what they did get).

I think he would have got that much $, had he not been injured. Now, it's hard to say. (And since the Knicks don't need frontcourt help, the price should go down wink.gif ).

Quote:

Why did Denver trade for Kenyon Martin? I am asking because it seems like that was a huge mistake for them.

They thought he was the player to make them a championship contender. He hasn't lived up to his billing, eh?

I am not sure his injury lowers his contract number that much since Chandler and Curry both have potentially chronic problems and still got big deals and Dalembert has not been able to stay healthy and got a big deal.

I am torn. I think Nene is a good prospect, but not a great prospect. He fills a definite need for the Hawks but I am unsure he will develop into even as valuable player as Al is. Al seems to still be improving so it is not like he has maxed out - and his leadership cannot be ignored. I firmly believe that chemistry is as important as talent to succeed.

Quote:

You're saying all things being equal.. that BK shouldn't take a cheaper equivalent to Nene?

What I am saying that that they HAVE TO get one or the other. And I don't know which one BK would rather have. Making the trade for Nene now would make sure the Hawks get one of the two best centers available.

And a lot of people (non-Hawks homers) would love to have Nene.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I am not sure his injury lowers his contract number that much since Chandler and Curry both have potentially chronic problems and still got big deals and Dalembert has not been able to stay healthy and got a big deal.

Dalembert played in 72 games last year, Chandler in 80, and Curry in 63. Nene will have played 1 game in the year before his RFA.

Curry's only big offer was from New York, who likely won't be bidding on Nene.

Nene will still get paid, but should be a little more affordable.

Quote:

Al seems to still be improving so it is not like he has maxed out - and his leadership cannot be ignored. I firmly believe that chemistry is as important as talent to succeed.

Al is improving, but you're assuming he wants to re-sign. I'm not sure we can make that assumption...

• Premium Member

Quote:

"Nene is believed to be seeking a deal worth as much annually as the six-year, $64 million contract Philadelphia 76ers center Samuel Dalembert received in July. Nuggets coach George Karl anticipates Nene getting a "hell of a contract."

• Premium Member

Partially. It must still follow the normal guidelines based on vet status, MLE, League Min. etc... But Most Agents won't let their clients do something that foolish when we are in the era of the guaranteed contract.

But I love Incentive based contracts.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Whether Kiki/Stan decides to extend Nene or sign & trade, it ought to be done this week on our terms. Next summer, chances are we'll have to either overpay to match or not get close to fair value coming back in a sign & trade (bargaining from a position of weakness). That is, of course, assuming that Nene has the break-out, blockbuster year that he and his agent are predicting. As far as insurance for Camby is concerned, I would prefer to have that role filled by someone who is not injury-prone themself. The hype about Nene is truly unbelievable, given his play and numbers the last year or so. It's a lot like reading about a mediocre stock being hyped like fool's gold, or something. I've always liked the guy, particularly in comparison to Skita over the past few years, but seriously. $10 mil/year? Absurd, IMO. It's a good thing Najera is locked up for the next couple of years. He might be asking for a max deal.

Quote:

the sad thing for the nuggets is that nene doesn´t even need to have a breakout year to get 10mil/year..

Daly, Chandler, Curry all are overpaid based on their production. That is the way it is with big men. Look at the contracts of Dampier or Martin. Think those are good deals?

Hawks won't get any center for a bargain price who is a good defender. it is called supply and demand.

They will, however, continue to be the worst interior D in the league without one.

I am pretty sure Al would sign a long term deal with the Hawks if given a fair offer and if the team continues to develop.

As for Nene's injuries lowering his contract expectations it clearly should. But Chandler has a bad back which is a big deal with big men. Nene's injuries are expected to fully heal and result in no long term damage.

Someone will likely offer him $10 million because of the dearth of big men - the question is whether he becomes an anchor player who plays to the value of his contract or whether he becomes a colossal waste of money like Adonal Foyle, Eric Dampier, Michael Olowakandi, Shawn Bradley, Jerome James, etc.

Quote:

Daly, Chandler, Curry all are overpaid based on their production. That is the way it is with big men. Look at the contracts of Dampier or Martin. Think those are good deals?

Hawks won't get any center for a bargain price who is a good defender. it is called supply and demand.

They will, however, continue to be the worst interior D in the league without one.

But do any of those guys help their teams win?

• Premium Member

Quote:

But do any of those guys help their teams win?

Dalembert does in the same way that Theo used to - the "threat" of a shotblocker.

Chandler did, last year. He's really struggling this year, and I'm not sure why.

Curry? Nope. He plays no defense.