• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Smith/Williams

codyatl

I was wondering who you guys think is our PF of the future. Which ever of these 2 get the job they will have to add about 25 pds of weight/muscle which is possible given their age. I heard smitty comment on the pf situation but missed who he said was better suited to play sf. Thoughts?

Quote:

I was wondering who you guys think is our PF of the future. Which ever of these 2 get the job they will have to add about 25 pds of weight/muscle which is possible given their age. I heard smitty comment on the pf situation but missed who he said was better suited to play sf. Thoughts?

First, both of them need to PROVE (Marvin more than Josh) that they are capable of being a starting PF of the future.

• Premium Member

right now neither.

Neither of them have the skill set of a Pf.

For all the talk of Smoove becoming a PF, it's funny that he came back with a jumpshot and no post moves?

Right now, we have three Sfs: JSmoove, JChillz, and Marvin.

If we trade Al for Say... Frye (somehow).. neither of these guys will be a PF.

If we trade Al for Say... Dalembert... Neither of these guys will be a PF.

If we trade Al for Say....DHoward... Neither of these guys would be a PF.

The point is once we get a Big that's capable of Starting weather it be C or PF, it put these guys right back into the same logjam... Because neither of these guys are better than Zaza or the guy we bring in at PF.

That's why so many are wishing on this NEne trade. Nene is hurt. He won't play this year. So again, Hawks fans want to go in the tank in the name of "development". It makes no sense.

Smith's shotblocking makes him a natural for the 4 on D. He is 240 pounds, so he isn't a lightweight. There are guys playing center (Anderson, Bosh, Camby) lighter than Smith.

Smith doesn't have the speed to guard the 3 spot. Marvin is a pure 3 although i would like to see him develop a post game on offense. I don't think Smith ever will.

Right now I see 3 future starters:

JJ

Marvin

Smith

I like this combo but the holes at the point and C are gaping.

Quote:

If we trade Al for Say... Frye (somehow).. neither of these guys will be a PF.

If we trade Al for Say... Dalembert... Neither of these guys will be a PF.

If we trade Al for Say....DHoward... Neither of these guys would be a PF.

The point is once we get a Big that's capable of Starting weather it be C or PF, it put these guys right back into the same logjam... Because neither of these guys are better than Zaza or the guy we bring in at PF.

i can play this game too!

If we trade Al for Say... Tmac (somehow).. neither of these guys will be a SF.

If we trade Al for Say... Vince.. Neither of these guys would be a SF.

If we trade lue for Say... KG (somehow).. Al wouldn't be a PF.

no matter how much you try to think otherwise, smoove NEEDS to be a pf (at least defensively) in the future

marvin is a natural sf, btw...he'll always be a sf starter during his career

Steve Smith was saying that Williams is a proto-typical SF. He has the speed and size advantage over most SF's in the league. I couldn't believe how fast Williams was last night. I have never seen him be so assertive. Smith is the PF of the future and can play PF now. He needs to add some more strength and weight. I personally think both of these guys will be beast in the future. JJ is already very good. We still need some more size like Nene to help slow down people like Shaq.

• Premium Member

I went and looked and, as far as I can tell, Marvin Williams is the 4th youngest player in the NBA. (Andray Blatche, Louis Williams, and Martell Webster are younger). With the new age restriction, most of the draftees from the 2006 draft should be older than him, too.

Also, look at this funny comparison:

Marvin vs Darko:

Age - 19 vs. 20

Minutes - 549 vs. 521

Points - 151 vs. 138

FG - 41% vs. 31%

FT Made - 35 vs. 34

Rebounds - 107 vs. 107

Assists - 18 vs. 18

Turnovers - 26 vs. 41

Blocks - 7 vs. 46

Steals - 17 vs. 11

Fouls - 69 vs. 84

out on Smoove. I still think he could go either way at this point. Actually, I LOVE the fact that he wants to pattern his game after Andrei Kirilenko because I think that will maximize his abilities. Kirilenko plays both positions depending on matchups and can be quite effective at either position.

Many here seem to think that Smoove CAN'T play SF but I disagree with that. In fact, against Toronto, he played SF about as well as it can be played. He knocked down J's and filled the lane beautifully on the break. He was on the offensive glass and he played terrific D. Someone said he can't guard SFs well I watched him do a GREAT job on Andre Miller and if he can guard a PG on the perimeter, I KNOW he can guard 99% of all SFs in the NBA. I'm not saying that Smoove won't eventually be primarily a PF, maybe he will. I'm just saying that I think the jury is still out on that and it may be that way for several years. I just hope he becomes the EC's version of Kirilenko and then I won't care where he plays - just put him on the floor.

I believe our core future right now as far as starters goes:

SG- Joe Johnson

SF- Marvin Williams

PF- Josh Smith

Al Harrington and Josh Childress are our most valuable trading commodities outside of that, although I'd love to see Childress become a 6th man of the year type. If Al Harrington can't net us a PG/C who we think can be the present / future starter for us than no reason to move him.

I had about a ten minute conversation with Billy Knight after the Knicks game and asked him this very question, and he told me explicitly that Marvin will be a starting small forward who averages 15-20 ppg, and that Smoove will develop into a power forward. Nothing about them both simply being "basketball players."

At the time he also said that Marvin has great ball handling skills and doesn't make mistakes, but that he hasn't shown it yet because right now he's been tentative. I guess Marvin showed that last night, although I missed it. By the way, BK was very willing to talk and I came away from the conversation very impressed with him. Go BK!!!

Sounds good to me. Smith needs to work on his post-up game. Dribbling with his back to the basket and protecting the ball. With his jumping ability he should be able to get a lot of close lay-in opportunities if near the basket.

*Anyone got the 411 on Rajon Rondo? I've seen / heard that he isn't the best of shooters BUT he seems to be filling the statsheet this year. Maybe he heard / knew and he worked on it a lot before the season?

I don't think Smith will be a regular in the post because he has small hands and can't palm the ball. That makes it tough to play inside without a lot of turnovers. Plus being able to palm the ball allows you to extend with one hand and change direction to avoid a shotblocker.

Big hands also help shooting a jump hook.

That is very good to hear. Marvin is obviously the SF of the future. Marvin is the reason we can afford to trade Al. We will suffer Al's loss this season , but we will see, in a couple of years that BK drafted a futute star. At this point, the Denver trade rumor makes the most sense for us (provided Nene's next contract is not an obstruction).

As far as Smith goes, he has to be a PF. He already has the size for it. I would not bulk him up any further. He just needs to develop his post up and ball handling/passing skills. This will take time, but will eventually come. He and Marvin will peak at roughly the same time.

This draft will feature two good PG's and a tremendous combo guard in the lottery. Darius Miles and Rondo will both be quality PG's in the NBA. Rondo is probably the better player but Miles has a tremendous competitor's heart. Neither will be as good as Paul, but that is water under the bridge. Brewer is probably a better basketball talent than Rondo and Miles. He is very similar to JJ and would also make our backcourt a tough match up for any team.