• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Question for exodus...

Diesel

• Premium Member

What's the League average for Points in the Paint? And where can that information be found?

It seems like a very meaningless stat... especially if you have nothing to compare it to? Hell, the 45 you talk about could be very good because I have read of teams giving up 60 and 62... However, it's still meaningless... So get back to me with an answer.

Quote:

What's the League average for Points in the Paint? And where can that information be found?

It seems like a very meaningless stat... especially if you have nothing to compare it to? Hell, the 45 you talk about could be very good because I have read of teams giving up 60 and 62... However, it's still meaningless... So get back to me with an answer.

Points in the paint is probably fairly meaningless, unless it is somehow related to your total number of points given up, and your points differential?

• Premium Member

Yeah...

I heard Exodus Blittering on about Points in the Paint like an idiot who's figured out that fire is hot...

But it means nothing if there's not anything to compare it against... Moreover, it depends on the type of team you play. Hell, if you play a team like Seattle was last yr 4 times.. Then your points in the paint will definitely be lower. It may have absolutely nothing to do with Defense per se.

The other thing is that we give up roughly 100 ppg. If only 45 of them are in the paint.. Am I to think that that's good or bad? There's no way to be certain without something to compare it against.

I have no idea where to find it or what the average is. The Miami announcers mentioned it several times during the broadcast.

Of course you are going to have a problem with it because you know there is a constant layup drill down Hwy 3 so you will try to say the announcers just made it up. There are stats kept that are available to the teams but not the general public.

I do know the Hawks are giving up 47% shooting to their opponents. Only two teams are worse last I checked. And their defense of the 3pt line is at about the league average at 35.4%. So obviously they are getting killed inside. Even a blind homer like yourself should be able to see that.

Dude I don't know why you insist on arguing with me because you always look stupid.

Who leads the league in fast break points?

What is the league average?

Who leads the league in fourth quater scoring?

Who wins the highest percentage of games when leading at halftime?

The teams know these stats but there is nowhere for us to find them. The only way we know is if they are mentioned by the media.

So tell me this. Do you think the announcers were lying? Is it just a conspiracy against the Hawks?

You have less sense than a box of rocks.

• Premium Member

Arguing with you is a waste of time.

You run around quoting a stat that you have NO Way of comparing or quantifying.. Yet you use that stat as the end all and be all?

That's like me saying... it's hot because there are 52 spots on the sun today...

Does that mean anything?

I mean, how many spots were on the sun yesterday?

What's the average?

But you run around like the village idiot... with your second hand information and no link saying..

It's 52 spots on the sun.

It's 52 spots on the sun.

It's 52 spots on the sun...

What does that mean exodus?

It's like a thermometer with no gradients or temperature marking...

All we know is tht the little mercury went up...

And then you have the audacity to try throw your weak insults.

Come on man.

You're twelve right?

according to 82games.com, teams get 35 for close/dunk/tips against the hawks

teams get 36.5 against the pistons

teams get 30.4 against the spurs

teams get 28.9 against the pacers

teams get 31.6 against the trailblazers

teams get 34.8 against the celtics

teams get 37.4 against the sixers

teams get 27.9 against the bulls

teams get 28.5 against the suns

on the offensive end:

hawks get 31.6

suns get 30.5

so we get more in the paint than the suns and more than we give up

however, this does not include foul shot points; other teams get fouled in the paint so score more than this shows

we do allow a high % in the paint

.565 close

.940 dunk

.533 tip

suns allow

.518 close

.862 dunk

.429 tip

pistons allow

.488 close

.414 dunk

.423 tip

• Premium Member

Quote:

ccording to 82games.com, teams get 35 for close/dunk/tips against the hawks

So does that mean that our interior defense is BETTER than Detroits and Philly's?

If a team is last in the league, giving up 45 ppg in the paint, that means their interior D is weak. Everyone else can see that. The Miami announcers were talking about it all game.

if you are really that curious about the relevance of the stat you can easily find out for yourself. There are things called calculators that work wonders in these instances.

Just go to the box scores and add them up. I think I may do a little of that later since you insist on persuing the subject. And of course I will expose your ignorance again.

• Premium Member

But look at the company we keep...

According to you...

"

Acording to 82games.com, teams get 35 for close/dunk/tips against the hawks

"

To me... That reads that the Bulls and the Suns are the best at keeping teams from getting Close Dunks, Tips, etc...

And Us, Detroit, and Philly (in that order) are the worst...

Don't you see my confusion?

I would think that Detroit would be the best at not allowing teams to get Dunks, close shots, and tips?

visavee..

These stats don't mean a whole lot.

I think it would be safer to just use Opp FG% and be done with it. I think that's what we need to get lower... because these other numbers seem like some kind of voodoo.

• Premium Member

Maybe I'm reading this wrong...

Detroit In Depth Stats

Atlanta Indepth Stats

More of this voodoo fuzzy numbers.

82 games.com says that 29% of the shots that we give up are close. 5% of the shots we give up are Dunks. 2% are tips..

How do we compare..

Well, I won't go through a long process, but we look favorable compared to Detroit?

Are you kidding me? Detroit has one of the best defenses in the game and we look favorable.

Let's examine this stat logically now to show why points in the paint, Close points, etc...doesn't matter much.

If a team has an Outstanding defense and their Perimeter defense is all world. I mean teams rarely challenged them on the perimeter.. I would think that they would give up a high percentage in the paint or close.

If a team had a outstanding halfcourt defense but a bad transition defense. I would think they would give up a lot of fast break points. Thus a lot of dunks or close shots.

The point is that these numbers aren't dependable for quantifying how good anything is... And it's especially more difficult to quantify when you have nothing to compare it against.