• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Pryz not wanted in Atlanta?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Quote:

Przybilla spent his first 3½ seasons in Milwaukee, and she grew up in nearby Big Bend. They are expecting their first child, a son, in February and would love to be closer to family.
But his time with the Bucks wasn't fun (he often was hurt), and he rode out the final 12 games in 2003-04 in Atlanta. Portland wanted him when no one else did.

Now it has paid off for both.

"It takes everybody his own time, but he's pretty solid now," said Wolves assistant coach Bob Thornton, who works with big men. "Most of the time, you've got to find yourself. 'How am I going to make myself effective? Am I going to defend more, am I going to score?' He's more aggressive than I've ever seen."

Przybilla has four double-doubles this season, including 10 points and 12 rebounds against the Wolves two weeks ago. This is his second visit to Minnesota -- the teams met in the season opener -- but at this point, the Pacific Northwest feels more like home than home. Noelle, visiting today, will spend Christmas in Wisconsin while Przybilla practices and kills time in Portland.

"I owe a lot to this organization," he said.
"When I was down, coming off that season in Atlanta, there weren't too many offers out there. [blazers GM] John Nash gave me a shot when a lot of people didn't."

That doesn't sound like any sort of thug at all.

Either we didn't want Pryz or Pryz was disgusted with the little offer we gave?

I think Pryz would be my first choice for center for the Hawks. Not only is he a good rebounder and shotblocker, he is also the best man defender on the Blazers' team. That is if the comparative per stats at 82games.com are legit.

The problem is that there is no way to be sure he will come here. They might have to overpay again but the certainly need some defense in the middle.

it didn't say Atlanta didn't give him an offer. It says he got few offers. I get the feeling that he wanted out of here at all costs, and Portland was one of the few teams other than us who showed interest.

It makes sense with what we hear from Pryz and what we hear from BK. I see no reason to believe otherwise. I can't blame him for bailing on a team who shipped away all their talent.

Pryz won't be coming back. He'd stay in Portland before he came here

• Premium Member

Actually, I think he's going to Minnesota.

I think it's interested that he didn't want to resign here. I wonder what role Bill Duffy played in it all. If Duffy had a problem with the Hawks, it could be a problem...

Quote:

Pryz won't be coming back. He'd stay in Portland before he came here

Portland can't offer more than the MLE. Hawks can beat that easily. And this time last year nobody though Hughes or JJ would walk.

I have a question about the sign and trade rules for anyone who would know.

As I understand it a team signs a player as if they were keeping him, then trades him. However Portland can only sign Przy to a 5 year, $29 million contract max. Would they be able to exceed that to do a sign and trade? in other words sign him to a bigger contract than they can actually offer, then trade him?

• Premium Member

There's no "Hard Cap" in the NBA.

A team can still sign it's own FAs for whatever they want to sign them for (allowable by the cap rules)...

For instance, Phoenix could have signed JJ for the Max. They just didn't want to risk paying the luxury tax. Especially knowing they would have to max out Amare.

So basically how much a team spends basically comes down to what a team is willing to spend on it's players.

Now. If Portland were willing to do a SNT they would probably want some of our Salary cap (as it is called).. Similar to what we did with Phoenix, send PTL a player or pick and they end up signing for what would be over the cap but not really spending that much.

Somedays, I think it would be more interesting just to set a hard cap.

Say 55 million HARD CAP.. and let GMs do their work... That would make the process more fun. I know Owners would love that too. But I think too many teams would end up losing their own FAs and those FAs would lose out.

Quote:

A team can still sign it's own FAs for whatever they want to sign them for (allowable by the cap rules)...

For instance, Phoenix could have signed JJ for the Max.

No they can't. They can only do that if they have his Bird rights. Since Joel played their only two years and they are over the cap they can't exceed the MLE.

Forgetting your homework?