Latest from Chris Sheridan

parvezf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

It's written all over your sig file how you want the Hawks to lineup so nobody is putting words in your mouth..

Secondly.. I did want to trade Al, UNTIL we got JJ from FAcy. When we got JJ, my mind changed about trading Al. Al is a good compliment to JJ and that has been proved.

Like I have said several times before.. When we got JJ, it meant that we have put an end to rebuilding by sending away talent for nothing or talent for draft picks. This thinking also applies to Al. Seeing that Al has good chemistry with JJ, we shouldn't trade him away for a 1 yr rental.

• Premium Member

Who's coming up that would offer Al a Max contract?

Remember all the things you guys try to say that is wrong with Al's game is still on the table.

How many teams will pay 12 million for a tweener Sf who doesn't play defense... Let me see. Miami got Walker for How much?? Sacramento got Shareef for How much?? Both cases were MLE deals. So who is this mystery team that's going to drop 12 million per on Al when there are tons of Sf/PFs that can be had for much much less.

Now. That's was probably more reality than you're willing to swallow but it's closer to the truth than those fairy tales you're passing along.

because Toine is a known chucker and somewhat of a cancer on the floor. He also took a paycut to play for a title

Each FA period is a micro-market, and with Ben Wallace unlikely to leave Det, Al is arguably the top draw this summer. He will get a big offer from someone, although as of today I have no idea who. I wouldn't have guessed that Hughes would get the big bucks from the cavs either, but that's what happens

• Premium Member

Hughes/Arenas were huge in Washington... Hughes has always been looked at as being a player on the brink.

Al is a 20/8 Sf/Pf tweener. Again. Shareef is getting the MLE.

Each player is a micromarket but you can't find 1 team in the NBA in need of Al that can offer more than the MLE.

I mean, N.O. has West/Mason. Chicago has Deng/Nicoioni/Songalia/Sweetney/Chandler. Seattle has Lewis/Fortson. The Clipps have Maggette/Brand.

Those are you top teams with money this summer. None of them are thirsting for Al. Supply demand...

It's very simple.

Al may get a 6 million dollar offer for a team like Chicago trying to stockpile talent. But no way do they give him anything close to 10-12. They will be going after centers.

Quote:

Hughes/Arenas were huge in Washington... Hughes has always been looked at as being a player on the brink.

Al is a 20/8 Sf/Pf tweener. Again. Shareef is getting the MLE.

Each player is a micromarket but you can't find 1 team in the NBA in need of Al that can offer more than the MLE.

I mean, N.O. has West/Mason. Chicago has Deng/Nicoioni/Songalia/Sweetney/Chandler. Seattle has Lewis/Fortson. The Clipps have Maggette/Brand.

Those are you top teams with money this summer. None of them are thirsting for Al. Supply demand...

It's very simple.

Al may get a 6 million dollar offer for a team like Chicago trying to stockpile talent. But no way do they give him anything close to 10-12. They will be going after centers.

this is a good post. Chicago is really the only team with money that has any need for Al, and he is not a perfect fit for what they need. Plus they are staring down the barrel of big extension for Hinrich and crew.

I doubt anyone throws a deal at Al starting north of $10 million. You do have to overpay in free agency, that is established, but any warts that we Hawk fans see in Al's game will certaintly be well known by other GMs.

JJ and Hughes got huge deals because both clubs were desperate. Atlanta for some legitimacy and Cleveland to build around and complement LeBron. Big men huge deals because they are in such hig demand but Al does not fit in that classification.

Another reason that Al should be tradebait was actually alluded to by Diesel. It is becoming more apparent that JChillz is actually more of a SF than a SG, especially with his putrid jumpshot combined with his fearless beelines for the basket. I think that if Al is traded, you can slide Chillz into the SF spot with Marvin, and probably slide Donta back into the mix at SG (or someone like Veshon Lenard if he comes in the deal). That once again leaves us teeming with talented swingmen and then you get to finally add a talented, young, bigman with, by all accounts, a good attitude to the mix in Nene. I really think this deal makes us better without losing much aside from the rest of this season. Imagine Nene and David Andersen joining the frontcourt next season (and who knows, maybe Ben Wallace too), and Rondo joining JJ, Salim, Donta, and, ugh, Lue too, in the backcourt. That is well-rounded, talented, and deep.

Al's value should be 8 to 9 million. there is a premium on big men and he isn't a big man.

my argument is ride out the rest of the season with the status quo and see how far this team can go. if we finish the season with 30+ wins after that horrible start then we know we have something here.

worst case scenario we do the S&T. the only two teams that I saw who have the flexibility to sign Al outright were NO and Chi. i'd take my chances there. not to mention our Bird rights give us the extra flexibility on yearly raises and # of years in the contract.

for me to regain faith in Billy Knight he has to show me he has a plan. we need a center and a PG. trading Al for Nene and Watson or Miller does not show to me we have a concrete plan for the future.

Billy has a plan, and he's not going to derail that plan by going into the draft looking for a particular position. There is a particular type of basketball player he's looking for, and that's what he's going to go after.

As long as Billy Knight is the GM in Atlanta, you will not see him go into the draft with the idea that he absolutely has to draft a point guard or a center. He knows he needs those positions, but why should he compromise his plan for this team simply because some want him to pick those positions above all else?

Now, if there is a point guard in the draft with length, then Billy will strongly consider him. You aren't going to see Billy settle for 6'0" or shorter point guards that have flippers for arms though. It's simply not part of his vision.

• Premium Member

When you trade Al, you lose all his Bird Rights. They travel with him to his new team. They are able to sign him to a 6 yr deal, not a 5 yr deal like we would have to. They are able to sign him with 10% raises not 7.5% raises like we would. It would be a major disadvantage to trade him away because we lose every bit of advantage we have for re-signing him. And for Al it's about the money first.

Quote:

Billy has a plan, and he's not going to derail that plan by going into the draft looking for a particular position. There is a particular type of basketball player he's looking for, and that's what he's going to go after.

As long as Billy Knight is the GM in Atlanta, you will not see him go into the draft with the idea that he absolutely has to draft a point guard or a center. He knows he needs those positions, but why should he compromise his plan for this team simply because some want him to pick those positions above all else?

Now, if there is a point guard in the draft with length, then Billy will strongly consider him. You aren't going to see Billy settle for 6'0" or shorter point guards that have flippers for arms though. It's simply not part of his vision.

uhhh in other words Billy has no plan.

Something that I found interesting after the game tonight was Al grabbing the mic from the Hawks sideline reporter and saying "I love Atlanta too." It was almost as if the guy was saying he doesnt want to leave. Maybe I misread it, but it seemed like his honest opinion of our people and city in the case that he is dealt.

can we get an official ruling on this?

why in the world would Al be unrestricted? it's the end of his contrat right? not an opt out? that would make him restricted!

Nene...they didn't pick up his option...but if memory serves me correct, much like Swift in Memphis, he's still restricted...