• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Dre' Miller to Atlanta??

Diesel

Yeah. That's why Carmelo was a complete embarrasment in international competition when actual basketball skills were required.

The only reason no one can stop him from driving to the basket is because the officials give him so much help by blowing a quick whistle.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well. There you have it. Glenn Robinson is more skilled than Tracy McGrady, folks. It really doesn't matter that McGrady was a better ball handler, shooter, and far more athletic than Glenn as an 18 year old rookie, Glenn is more skilled simply because he averaged more points per game.

Again, you go to false logic. I didn't say GRob is more skilled than TMac. I said he was more skilled than him in 97.

Again:

skill n.

1. Proficiency, facility, or dexterity that is acquired or developed through training or experience.

In 97, TMac had not yet developped the skills GRob had, as he had not yet had the experience at the top level of basketball. Skills change through time with experience, practice, maturing, getting too old, etc... It's not stats. TMac as a rookie didn't really know what he was doing. But even TMac as a rookie was more skilled than Marvin as a rookie.

Making the right decision when you receive the ball is a skill that Marvin doesn't have yet.

Learning how to use that great dribble of his to lose an NBA-caliber defender is a skill that Marvin doesn't have yet.

Learning how to use screens to get open shots and put that jumper to use is a skill that Marvin doesn't have yet.

Learning how to use his body to draw the foul when he attacks the rim is as skill Marvin doesn't have yet.

Learning how to use his athleticism to change his shot and avoid the block is a skill Marvin doesn't have yet.

...just to name a few

You can act like the Diesel of the pro-Marvin camp and completely ignore reality, but in case you're interested, skill is not potential. Marvin today has more potential than Robinson ever had, but he does not have as much skill as Robinson did in 97 for instance. All he has is a jumpshot and a handle

While he has certainly done some things that he could have definitely handled better, that doesnt make him a bad guy in my eyes. Jim Boehim is a guy that I have a tremendous amount of respect for and he has said time and again that Carmelo was one of his favorite kids he has ever coached because he is such a joy to be around. I am a little biased because I am a Cuse' fan, but I honestly think most of the stuff with him has been overblown.

The thing with him throwing the ball into the crowd, I'm sure he wasnt aiming at the little girl. Hell Barkley used to do far worse things with camera men and fans (mostly hecklers) and he is a pretty loved guy.

I dont know about the weed thing, but I can understand a young guy like him making a stupid decision like trying to have a buddy take the rap for him. Doesnt make it right, but I did some pretty stupid things when I was 19-early 20's as well.

I dont blame him about the Olympics thing. I would have been pissed if I was pulled out of my vacation and flown around the world and made to sit on the bench just because the [censored] coach didnt like rookies, and especially not while the team was looking so bad.

Didnt see the drumline thing. Sounds like he was being rude, but maybe he didnt want his warmups being interrupted by the other teams drumline.

Thats like saying a first year medical student has the skills to perform a surgery that only the best in the world can perform, that he only needs the experience to be able to do it ... which would be ignoring all the hard work, studying, learning, and acquiring of other skills needed to make it happen.

• Premium Member

Vdunk...

This is the part that I find interesting... You keep saying that we will lose Al for nothing...

Is there bad blood between Al and BK?

I think Al is very reasonable and in order to keep the perks of being a "Bird's Rights" free Agent, I think if he wanted to leave he would happily work with us in a SNT.

The only times when this is not applicable is when an unrestricted Free agent with Bird Rights really doesn't have a good relationship with his team and don't mind taking a pay cut.

Moreover, It's very hard to find a team with enough Money and enough need to sweep Al from Atlanta...

So I don't understand the "Lose him for nothing" line that you use so often EXCEPT it be used as Hyperboyle to get more people to agree with you... So tell me Vdunk, do you have sources that suggest Bad blood or is Al not as Money hungry as he says?

and if it suited you, you would use it as the basis for your argument as well. I could definitely see Al take a little less money to sign with a contender. Sure he might want to help BK and the Hawks, but thats a big gamble to take, especially if we can get a piece for the future by dealing him now.

• Admin

good passing and good ball movement is more than finding guys as they streak to the basket. It's about making the extra pass to get a better shot. That's what the Hawks have been doing lately and it's made the difference. It's damned sure not as simple as someone driving and dishing. If you think that, then I have to question if YOU have been watching the games.

That's not to say we're anything close to as fluid as the teams you mentioned. But it's certainly not as simple as "One of the big 3 drives the lane and kicks it out for an open jumper".

Well obviously there is more to it than that, but there is no need to go into great detail about how each play is run. However, there is still far too much of the big 3 at the top of the key trying to go one on one. This is not a fluid offense by any means and to make the point clear that Andre would be a tremendous addition to this team and would make great use of our talent is worth simplifying what we have been doing.

And for anyone who is concerned, I watch about 95% of the games live (on TV) and the rest on TIVO. I never miss a Hawks game unless its not broadcast.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The skill is superior intelligence and very, very steady hands. The experience is getting out and putting the skills to use.

Wow KB, that's a dumb statement.

You don't get superior intelligence or steady hands without PRACTICE.

You sound like an Allen Iverson Lover... I'm looking for your practice speech.

Just think of it like this. You can give a guy a book that teaches step by step how to swim. He can know the book back and forwards.. He can pass any written test on how to swim...

BUT...

You don't make that guy a lifeguard.

It's foolish.

What you're seeing is Marvin is some potential but little skill. Just like that guy who read the book on swimming. If you never get in the water, you don't know what swimming is.

• Admin

I agree that Marvin is a better athlete and is a more well rounded player than Carmello. But the one thing that seperates them, and its' a big one.. is that Carmello WANTS IT. He plays the game like he's out to prove himself every night. That fire and attitude are things that Marvin simply does not have.

I would have to agree. Having league pass for the first time I watch other teams a lot and i would say the Hawks have better shot selection than most teams. That plus having good shooters makes it hard for teams to guard them.

They still make too many unforced turnovers, but that is my only quibble right now. Considering their inexperience and the fact that they don't really have a starting pg I think the offense is about as good as it could be.

The only way it could get substantially better would be for Marvin to get going.