• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

State of the Roster Address

RAHMOR

We are all well aware that we have an imcomplete roster and are all aware the gaping holes in it. We argue over players like Lue and Ivey. We argue over signings like John Thomas and whether or not John Edwards will get better, but the truth is these players don't even matter. I've noticed that most teams play around 9-10 player during the season and probably 8-9 players during the playoffs. We need to maximize that talent in those 8 players and not even worry about the rest. He are the ones I believe we keep and the ones we should care less about.

- Esteban Batista F-C 6-10

I hope he can becomes a good player for us but the chances are highly unlikely he will be an important part of our eventual playoff roster unless he specializes in somethings like rebounds. With the keepers I believe we have, we won't need him for scoring.

+/- Josh Childress G-F 6-8

I think he can be kept. Don't think he will ever be better than a sixth man though and there are other pieces that we have now and need to aquire that could make him unneeded.

- Tony Delk G 6-2

Trade bait or expiering contract. No more needs to be said.

- John Edwards C 7-0

A good big body but not likely to be important. Possible 12th man in early foul trouble situations

+/- Al Harrington F 6-9

Sort of enigma. Defense is subpar but offensive is major plus. Inconsistent but easily one of the 8 important playoff players on any team in the league. Keep him unless we can trade him for needed talented players

- Royal Ivey G 6-3 200

Good defensive point guard. Not a starter though and not our most effective back up. I'll have to pass or Royal only because once we get a starter quality point(not necessarily a superstar) we still have Lue and Salim to play back up)

+ Joe Johnson G 6-7 230

No question a keeper. Very versatile and knows how to play big-time in the playoffs.

- Tyronn Lue G 6-0 178

I know Ty has played big time lately but his lack of defense and Salim will make him expendable.

+ Zaza Pachulia C-F 6-11

Has proven to be a tough, rebounding machine and should be important part of our playoff roster in the future even if he losses his starter spot.

- Donta Smith G 6-7

Not important right now.

+ Josh Smith F 6-9

His shot blocking ability alone makes him worthy of minutes during the playoffs. He's a keeper.

+ Salim Stoudamire G

His shooting ability is on par with Ty Lue. If I have to choose a backup PG for the long run he's the one I want. Can get to the basket and make a pass although not the best but has the excuse of this being his rookie season.

- John Thomas C 6-9

Just a big body to have on the bench in cases of foul trouble or to facilitate a trade.

+ Marvin Williams F 6-9

I have to give him a pass right now. It's only his rookie season and second month in the NBA. Has obvious talent but isn't sure how to use it yet. If develops no question a keeper.

Rondo?/Salim

JJ

Marvin

Josh,

ZaZa,Center

That makes 7 and one more player will make eight. Whether that person is Al or another player we have a bad roster the further we go down the bench but look pretty good for our important players.

Chilz could be that player number 9 but has more value as trade bait for a starting point or back-up center.

RAHMOR - I agree with most of your grading...a few exceptions/modifications I would make:

T.Lue, should be a +/- he has generally done his best with what he has. His offense has been a pleasant surprise.

Salim, also a +/- basically a shooter-only. May improve in other areas but we can't grade potential.

Zaza, should be a +/- using "tough" to describe his game is overstating. When you talk about a center "tough" makes me think of defense, of which he is sorely lacking.

Marvin, should be a +/- no way Marvin can be more than that at this stage...too little impact so far.

What do the +/- mean? Maybe I missed it. Is it how good they are, or whether or not they are keepers?

Lue and Zaza are keepers, though certainly not untradable for an upgrade. Lue is a GREAT backup PG. In that sense I would like to keep him, but we need a starter in the worst way. Zaza plays no D, but he is probably a keeper. He is the best center we have had in a long time, but in the best case scenario he is either coming off the bench or has a monster defensive presence next to him. I'm not sure that Smoove/Zaza is good enough defensively for the long haul.

Quote:

T.Lue, should be a +/- he has generally done his best with what he has. His offense has been a pleasant surprise.

Salim, also a +/- basically a shooter-only. May improve in other areas but we can't grade potential.

I give the + to Salim and the - to T. Lue because T.Lue for the most part has becomes a scorer and I think Salim will be better at it in the long run. In the 8 man rotation I talk about I think Salim beats out T.Lue for the spot.

You're right about Marvin.

I guess I should probably have said gritty or hard working as opposed to tough for ZaZa but I still think he's definately and +

a bit off the subject but I didn't want to start a new thread:

As a follower the mid-majors (MMs) in the NCAA (SIU Slaukis, grad/fan), I can't help but notice the similarities in the way the Hawks are currently set up.

Since the MMs can't compete for the bigtime big men, they have to go primarily with the best 3s they can get and play the tougher one at 4. With no shot at a top center, they get a serviceable 4 and play him at the 5. Then they do the best they can at guard - making sure they get shooters since they will generally live or die from the perimeter (and from the 3-point line) against top-level teams. In their league they can do quite well with this type undersized lineup. Against the big boys they can sometimes compete - if they are on fire from the perimeter - and can occasionally pull off the big upset. Usually though, they get killed in the paint and can't keep the hot shooting up for a whole game.

The Hawks are basically the same right now, although they have the advantage of being able to draft a Big instead of trying to out-recruit the ACC/Big10/SEC/etc. Hopefully they can get a big banger and join the big leagues next year!

• Premium Member

That's a very interesting correlation you drew up there Dj.

I think it fits somewhat...

Here's another interesting bit of info from a basketball historian..

I think BK learned alot of his basketball philosophy from Donnie Walsh. Donnie Walsh got his coaching start first as Dean Smith's assist's assistant and then later being hired as Larry Brown's assistant in the ABA for the Denver Nuggets. At the Nuggets, Larry Brown used his influence to craft a team similar to what we have now. Athletic and short. I think it was Larry Brown who used his ACC influence to steal away David Thompson and Marvin Webster from the Hawks...

However, help eventually came. Denver acquired Dan Issel... and I don't know if Walsh was still around but eventually, they got Ralph Sampson...

But maybe some of BK's thinking is crafted from what Walsh came up understanding... That Athletic long players can win?