• Raised $440 of $700 target

Rookie Rankings (I.H.)

Diesel

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get sick to my stomach seeing two Pgs we could have gotten being top 5 and Marvin not even warranting HM despite getting significant minutes to earn it? You wanna talk BPA BS, It doesn't matter about best anything if he can't get on the court or keeps other "bests" off the court. One if not two or all of Smith, Childress, and Marvin will NOT develop for two major reasons: 1. There are not enough minutes to play all of them, JJ and Harrington and 2. there isn't a Pg to LEAD them and run an offense FOR them. We could've solved BOTH of those issues with this one draft.

The BPA argument fails again. Marvin wasn't the best (as Childress wan't the year before), but regardless we are left with the expectation things will get worse at forward (i.e. we draft Rudy Gay) or we will not draft the BPA this year in order to get a Pg (which makes you wonder why we didn't do it last year with better Pgs and relatively worse talent at other positions (Marvin)).

W

• Moderators

Quote:

If you get Chris Paul this year (or Deron), you do not get the chance to get Gay in 05. You get a significantly lower pick

He basically said we would have someone better than Marvin and if Paul or Deron failed to improve our team we could get Gay. Your post assumes that the first part of his post (that we would be better now and in the future) is true.

Of course, getting either Paul or Deron would also make me feel better about the JJ trade. As it stands we may be giving up a VERY high pick in two years.

I'd rather get Paul and a 10 pick and give up a 15 pick than get Marvin get a 4 pick (not Rudy Gay) and give up a 6 pick.

W

I see. Gotcha. Well personally I don't think that there's any doubt that Paul makes us way, way better this year.

So to me the question becomes: in 5 years, is Marvin+Aldridge or Marvin+Rondo (or whoever we get with a top pick) going to end up being better than Paul+#12 pick next year (assuming we perform like NO has). I don't know the answer to that yet.

Quote:

you also might not get JJ if you get a PG. Part of his reasoning for coming here was more time on the ball to be a PG. We know that won't be the case any more, but that was part of his argument for coming here

I don't think that argument holds any water. I think he only said that so as to further discourage the Suns from matching. My rationale for that is that he should darn well know that he is not a point guard after spending a year with Steve Nash.

If they thought that they are both idiots - it is not like he tried it for 40 or 30 games, it was two. Fact is, they knew it in the preseason. Don't tell me two people involved in basketball at a professional level for several years could not figure this out. I never even played college basketball and I could have told them this from the get go (and I am by no means a basketball expert, just a realist).

• Admin

He was and is an exceptional talent, he is young and he was available. What position he would actualy play was irrelevant. I have no doubts that talks between Billy and Joe revolved around his ability to play the point. But I would stake money on it that whether or not he played that role forever, was not a deal breaker.

JJ is still our PG though. He's not a traditional point. but our team is not a traditional roster. When the team as a whole plays good, we see what BK envisioned by having JJ as our point guard.

• Premium Member

BK picked up JJ because of his talent... not because he thought he would be a PG.

Coming out of the draft, BK was questioned about his love for swingmen. We had a logjam then. What is more likely is that BK said JJ would be a PG in order to win over the ownership who began to wonder when will we get a PG.

Don't forget... There was a fight to get JJ here.

no I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm saying JJ might have been more hesitant to come here if we don't tell him that he can play the point. I know BK would want him either way. Quite simply, he was the best player we could get, and a versatile BK type of player.

I don't know if it's a deal breaker, but it's at least mentionable. I wasn't involved, so I don't know how important playing point was for Joe.

• Premium Member

Well, BK's house of exaggerations is starting to become unglued..

You know.. JJ is a PG. JC is a Sg.

These things had to be in order to win over ownership on the JJ/Marvin deal. However, I think if he would have drafted Deron or Paul, the owners could have accepted us going after JJ as simply a more talented SG who can handle the ball.