• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

childress' ceiling is his shot.....

flava

have you ever noticed how uncomfortable childress is when he shoots....

while watching him shoot is equally as uncomfortable, i can't help but think that for all the great things childress does (defense, rebounding, dirty work dunkin'), his awkward shot, which is highly susceptible to being blocked, will always limit how great of a player he can be. he will never be able to create his own shot in the NBA...

so with 1.5 years of data to review, it's BLATANLY OBVIOUS that deng and iggy are superior basketball players. we should have drafted one of them...

flava

his shot isn't holding him back

he shot .470 fg% last year....that's similiar to lebron/kobe/tmac/vince

he is shooting .535 this year....

lots of poor shooters have become great players

and reggie/marion/etc have the same form as him

his ceiling is as aggressive as he'll be...he can be the next marion or the next diaw (pre-phoenix)...it's up to him and his aggressiveness

He has a .470 effective field goal percentage on just jump shots this season, and 32% of his shots are jump shots. That's a higher percentage than either Luol Deng (.411) and Andre Iguodala (.398), two players some like to criticize Billy for passing on to take Josh Childress.

I think his ceiling will be the fact that he's good at everything but great at nothing. He needs to get better defensively.

he might be shooting a high percentage (on a lot of dunks and wide open jumpers), but you rarely see him shoot with a defender anywhere within 4 feet of him...

and regardless of his shooting percentage, his shot requires so much time to get off (mechanically) that he'll never be able to "get'er done" if he is guarded...

flava

He's not the type of player that is going to try to shoot a jumper with someone in his face. He's not a go to scorer. He's a guy who moves well without the ball and can hit the open jumper as well as slash to the basket. He also does a good job of getting some garbage points.

i really think those numbers have to do with the shots he takes. it's one thing to compare his numbers to vince or tmacs or kobes if he is shooting 25 times a game and is the the "go to" guy but he isn't. he takes shots he can get and passes (leading to shot clock violations) the others up...

flava

That's because some, not flava, only look at the form on his shot. They pay no attention to whether it goes in or not.

flava's point is a good one. Josh isn't the type that is going to get the ball, take one dribble to shake his man, and shoot. He's the type that will move around without the ball, slash to the basket, or position himself in the 15-18 foot range to receive the kick out pass for the open jumper.

I agree, his jump shooting mechanics are horrible. He shoots a high % from 3pt. range, but I think the reason for this is that he can only try a 3pt. attempt when defenders are a mile away. This translates into 5 for 9 3pt. shooting through 27 games so far, those wide open opportunities don't occur too often. My idea of a shooting guard is someone who is not afraid to light it up from the perimeter anytime the team needs it, even if he is being tightly guarded. If Childress would correct his shooting form, he would be all-star material. As it is, he is just a good bench player who excels at getting "garbage" baskets.

I will agree that Deng and Iggy have better jumpshots than Chill(Deng seems to have gotten better as a shooter) but that is where it ends. Deng is a big 3. He is 6'9 and at least 240lbs. He isn't as athletic as Childress and not quite as good of a ball handler. Iggy is smaller than Childress(Probably closer to 6'5 than 6'6) and while he is more athletic and probably as good of a ball handler he isn't as long as Childress. I am not sure if he plays the passing lanes as good as Childress or not?

I don't know why Childress hasn't corrected his form or why he started shooting that way in the 1stplace. You would think when he 1st came to Stanford as a freshman the coach would have tried to correct his shooting mechanics. IF I ever got a chance to ask J-Chill a question I would ask him why does he choose to shoot the ball the way he does.

• Premium Member

Just because he's an awkward shooter doesn't mean that he's a bad shooter. Hell, Reggie Miller was an awkward shooter...

Back to Chillz. His shot works for him and even though it's susceptible to be blocked, I don't think I've seen many people block Chillz shot.. I think the difference is that Chillz is a smart player.

Moreover, Chillz does those little things that you love to see from a player. Right now he's a 6th man, but I think that's a role that fits him for now.

IS he better than those other guys? It don't matter. If they were here and he was not, I don't think they would be stars either. In fact, I think they would have a hard time doing those little things. Because Neither Ai or Deng is good enough consistently to make AL go to the bench and Neither is good enough consistently to make Smoove sit... So they would have to be 6th man.

Chillz on Philly's squad would prolly be a beast. A guy who does the little things and doesn't get in Webber's or Iveson's way???

• Premium Member

Damn Flava where are you going??

You just tried to bash the man for being a Smart player.

I mean, do you really want somebody who comes in and takes bad shots? When I say bad shots, I don't mean mechanics, I mean shots with hand in the face or shots from akward positions. If JChill can move and get a wide open Shot, then he's a good basketball player. That's what scoring is really all about. Putting yourself in the position to make the easy basket.

I don't care if all he does is Dunk and hit open baskets... IF he does it for the Hawks and gets into double digit scoring... GOOD for us!

Quote:

Iggy is smaller than Childress(Probably closer to 6'5 than 6'6)

Wrong. They are both 6'5.75" without shoes. At least that is what they measured at the combine. Iggy has a standing reach 1/2 inch higher than Childress.

Last year at the end of the season Childress was scoring around 15 ppg but only making 1 jumper per game. Same story this year. Almost all of his scoring is from inside or the foul line.

Those of you touting his shooting percentage as proof he can shoot are way off base. Let Childress make 2 jumpers in a game 1 time before you start touting his shooting abilities.

the counter-argument to your post is Shawn Marion. He also has an ugly shot, it also gets released low and should theoretically be easy to block. But it works for him and he has become a hell of a shooter. I'm not so sure that Chill takes a long time to shoot, if anything I would say he has a very quick release, like Marion. There is no reason that he can't become Shawn Marion. I don't expect him to, but my point is that you can have an awkward release like that, be thin, and still be a multiple all star