• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Wheels may be Turning??

Diesel

• Premium Member

IF Odom went to LAL management and asked for a trade... Then it's possible he could end up here?

I can't see BK not going for Odom in a major way. BK prolly loves Odom...

Odom/1st (Miami)

Harrington/Lue

• Premium Member

I understand that...

But at the same time, he has not been comfortable in the triangle. He and Kobe have not meshed over the last 2 yrs. For the last 2 yrs, it seems as if he has been up for trade. Then they bring in Kwame in the offseason. It just seems like his days are numbered.

I would rather keep Al (you know this)..

But I wouldn't frown on a deal that got us back Odom + a first for Al and Lue.

I would love to have Odom from a talent standpoint. He isn't worth his contract though, but it depends on what kind of direction BK wants to take the team in. $14.5 mil in 08/09 is ridiculous. Especially when we're overpaying JJ. But Odom would relieve our desperate need for playmaking, and help our interior D. That leaves us with Ivey as the only PG for now though.

Anyhow, the lakers aren't trading Odom, but it's interesting.

Basketball-wise, I'll take Odom over Al in a heartbeat. When salaries are considered, it isn't quite so easy

I don't think there is any way that LA would trade Odom for Al/Lue, but there is something else that is a possibility. How about a 3 way with Al/? going to Indy, Artest/? going to LA, and Kwame/Devean George/1st round pick coming to us? It is rumored that LA has offered this to Indy, we could possibly interject ourselves into this.

• Premium Member

Well, either way you swing it...

Weather is Harrington/Lue for Odom or Artest/Lue for Odom, it's still a workable deal...

PLUS, if Odom wants out or if Kobe wants Odom out, you don't need much more of a catalyst than that.

I have seen players traded for a lot less when they wanted out...

• Premium Member

Odom's contract is specifically why I wouldn't want him for Al (the other reason is injury), but since I don't write the checks, it don't matter to me.

I just hate to tie up a lot of money in a player that can get injured and be gone for the season or 2 seasons. Al has been an Ironman in comparison to Odom.

This is also the reason that I would extend Al if I were Bk.

I think a 5 yr 47 or 6 year 55 million dollar deal is very fair for Al and I predict that no team could match it. IN think SNT, there will be teams willing to take.. The question is..

Would you take NY up on a deal that sent them Al SNT for Frye/James/Rose?

NY is at the point where they have to be thinking about getting rid of some of the dead weight... (ROSE, James)... For Channing Frye, I think the deal is doable if we can get out of Edward's contract. I mean, I know that Rose is a very bad contract... However, he's a BU. I also see LB playing David Lee More. I think he's trying to see how to play out life without Channing Frye...

• Premium Member

The only way a deal can work involving Odom for Artest without a 3rd team is:

Indy would have to offer "Yes sir cabbages", Tinsley, or Foster..... OR.. Some combination of Harrison/Granger and another player....

Indy may want Odom, but they are not going to give up that much for him alone.

The only other way is to get Croshere and McKie involved. A straight up deal for useless baggage players is something that LAL probably don't want to do.

But it depends on how much of a push for Artest Phil/Kobe makes.

That's a terrible trade. It is obvious that Kwame Brown is a hopeless cause. Devean George is a bit player, and that first round pick won't be high enough to warrant giving up Al for just that pick, which is what that deal would turn out to be.

• Premium Member

I was looking at it from the perspective that LAL wanted Lue and still could use a PG that knows the triangle. Odom could force his way out with continued bad play in the triangle. And Al At Sf means Kobe at Sg and Kwame at PF.

I think that you're right, they prolly could get more for Odom.. Maybe even Artest and like I said to GST, that still works...

Artest/Lue for Odom.

The deal that makes the most sense for all parties involved would be Al Harrington to Indiana, Ron Artest to Los Angeles, and Lamar Odom to Atlanta. I have not seen another deal that I like at all, and I'm sure Billy has pretty much laughed at every offer that has been made.

I think the only way Al is moved is if we can get Odom somehow.

It would be a terrible trade if Al were locked up in a reasonable contract, but he's not. Whoever trades for Al is getting him for half a season and the opportunity to sign him to an expensive contract. Frankly, I don't want to resign Al because he's not going to be a good value for the kind of money he will probably get. I like Kwame for one reason, he can play some interior defense, something we sorely lack right now.

edit: whoops I'm an idiot. I misread, you have it right

That is a horrible contract compared to his skills. So far, he has completely crumbled under the pressure in LA too. That is a long deal for an injury prone player who has not been delivering the goods.

Like I said, I love the talent, but probably not at that price

• Premium Member

I think when you put it all in perspective, you guys are wrong about Al's value.

Even at a 22/7.5 Sf, Al's worth of 9-10 per year is not excessive or overvalue. Hell, compared to Maggette, Rashard Lewis, Antwain Jamison, Paul Pierce, Richard Jefferson and the rest in that class, Harrington would be an excellent value at that price. A Bargain...

Compare Al to Richard Jefferson?

Compare Al to KMart?

Compare Al to Rashard Lewis?

Compare Al to Corey Maggette?

All these guys make more than Al and are in that salary range. But look at what they bring to the table vs. What Al brings to the table.

NJ would give us a first rounder if we were to trade them Al/Delk for RJ... Because they know that Al is better and cheaper.

The point is that a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.. But too many of you are looking down the bench in the bush hoping...

Another thing to think about in any AL trade...

The Positive: More playing time for Marvin

The (possible) Negative: More playing time for Marvin

Some players respond great to being thrown into the fire early and others don't. From BK's side of things - the last thing he needs is for Marvin to get AL's spot and lay an egg. The critics would go wild(er).

• Premium Member

That's why it's best to keep Al.

Truth be told, Marvin has done nothing to make anybody believe that he can be productive as a starter. Moreover, for all of KB's talk.. you just don't see it on the floor. We shouldn't trade a good player just to make room for Marvin. Because as you pointed out, we could be just making room for him to lay an egg.

Then we would have lost Paul and Al to the Big egg layer.