• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

success through the draft

gsuteke

from Espn chat

Rick (Brooklyn, New York): In your opinion, who are the top five players in college basketball right now?

Chris Dortch: (3:22 PM ET ) Mine are the usual suspects: Redick and Williams of Duke, Dee Brown of Illinois, Adam Morrison of Gonazaga, Rudy Gay of UConn. You could kick some serious butt with that group.

this is from an ESPN "expert." so in essence they are arguably the top 5 players in college ball. if you had the top 5 picks in the draft and put the top 5 players in college ball together they would get run out of the gym every night in the NBA.

it just goes to show how long of a wait we are in for Smoove, Chillz, and Marv to turn into productive NBA players.

• Premium Member

I think Bk fell into the trap that many GMs fall into. Waiting on the draft. You hate to have to wait on a player to develop. As the Clipps have shown, sometimes you spend so much time trying to develop a player and it never happens.

Most good players, come out Good. If not good, then they show you something.

Kobe... They used to call Kobe "SHOWBOAT" his first year because he was a showboat when he got time. KG played well even though in limited minutes. I think since Lebron has come out, this whole nonesense about waiting on a player to develop has really ceased. I mean, Howard, Telfair, Jefferson were all after James and they all got a shot in the pros their rookie year.

It's only guys like Swift who came out far too early and maybe Green who are guys who should spend some time developing.

I think if you put Smoove and Chillz in a situation where they had to be productive, I think they would. They show something every night. But most of the time... players who need time to develop ( I mean those who show nothing) usually don't do it with thier drafting team. For example.. Chauncey Billups. Rip Halmilton, Demarr Johnson, Larry Hughes, JJ, and so on and so on...

Since Marvin seems to need more time to develop, why can't he develop into the SF equiv of JJ or Billups? I think the guy needs time and confidence. Once he develops, all the talk about a wasted pick, I hope, will diminish.

Yes we need a PG, I would have liked the Hawks to get Deron in the last draft or even Bogut over MW, but we have him and I really want him to develop into a top 10 player.

Quote:

I think Bk fell into the trap that many GMs fall into. Waiting on the draft. You hate to have to wait on a player to develop. As the Clipps have shown, sometimes you spend so much time trying to develop a player and it never happens.

Quote:

But most of the time... players who need time to develop ( I mean those who show nothing) usually don't do it with thier drafting team. For example.. Chauncey Billups. Rip Halmilton, Demarr Johnson, Larry Hughes, JJ, and so on and so on...

Maybe the players who need time to develop don't develop with the team that drafted them precisely because their team "hates to wait on a player to develop." So maybe it's not necessarily such a bad thing to fall into the "trap" of having some patience to let your young talent develop. I agree that there is such a thing as developing too much young talent all at once, though, as illustrated by the Clippers...and by the Hawks right now.

I think BK and other GMs sometime get too caught up on where a player is drafted. I am a MW fan and I think he will be something special in a few years but right now he should be sent to the developmental league. That's not a negative, but that will only help the Hawks out early next year.

Quote:

Since Marvin seems to need more time to develop, why can't he develop into the SF equiv of JJ or Billups? I think the guy needs time and confidence. Once he develops, all the talk about a wasted pick, I hope, will diminish.

Yes we need a PG, I would have liked the Hawks to get Deron in the last draft or even Bogut over MW, but we have him and I really want him to develop into a top 10 player.

The problem is that JJ and Billups did not achieve success for the teams that drafted them - it took a new team and a few years to achieve success.

• Premium Member

How long did we wait for JT to become a PG...

He never developed into a PG and we missed opportunity after opportunity to bring in a quality PG. You know we missed out on Tony Parker and Jamal Tinsley? You know we had Brevin Knight?

Marvin can be the same story if we approach this wrong...

i.e. give up good players trying to hope on Marvin's development with more time.

If Marvin can't improve in the time he's getting now, giving him more time on the floor is not guaranteed to help him at all. It will be us giving up good players for a project.

That's why you don't draft Project #2.

Same mistake the Celtics made when they drafted JJ. You have to be patient. Now that we have him, we have to want Marvin to be the best he can. Last night's game showed that MW is starting to get into a good place with his confidence and aggressiveness. He's going in for dunks and not settling for the jump shot. I would like him to be more aggressive, but that doesn't seem to be what he's about.