• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The BK Philosophy...

Diesel

You have a point but the circumstances are quite different. Al cam straight out of high school and was a late first round pick, so Indy was basically taking a flier on him in the hopes he would amount to something down the road. Plus they had a stacked veteran team that was looking to win.

Atlanta, on the other hand, is a very poor team and Marvin is coming in after 1 year of college ball (which is a huge leap from high school) and he was a number 2 pick. There is a much longer list of top freshmen to pro picks that have had an immediate impact then high school to pro picks - think Bosh, Anthony, Marbury, Deng, etc.

• Premium Member

Marvin becoming Al is not that easy.

You have to remember that we can actually depend on Al to show up every night. Hell, we can't depend on Smoove to show up every night. And Smoove is light years ahead of Marvin. I don't think you can move Al and expect Marvin to be a 2nd option. IN fact, when has he ever shown that ability. In UNC, he never stepped up to be a lead or 2nd option. In our summer camp, with no vets around.. He wasn't a guy to be 1st or second option. Preseason, he couldn't step up to be first or second option. These past three months.. NOT ONE TIME.. has he exhibited the ability to be 1st or 2nd option against credible competition.

• Premium Member

You don't pick a project with the 2nd pick overall.

PERIOD.

I keep hearing people say we knew this guy would be NBA ready.. My question is when did we stop having expectations that the first and 2nd pick overall would be NBA ready??

• Moderators

Quote:

About the time Kwame Brown was the number 1 pick in the draft.

I think the answer is more:

About the time guys started realizing that they would have been better off drafting Kobe, T-Mac, Garnett, etc. #1 overall even if they had to wait a little longer.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I see no reason that he won't be better than Al, sooner than Al was as good as he is.

Essentially, at best we got a slightly better (and shorter) version of Al Harrington, a player we already had. Not to mention Josh, Childress, JJ who could be getting minutes here. While this was not your intention, the above statement does not make me feel better about not getting a franchise Pg.

W

We got a pure SF instead of a tweener SF/PF. Al is slightly taller and stronger than the average NBA SF, and slightly less than average NBA PF...Chill is a good and potentially great role player off the bench, no logjam. Al has been playing PF because we don't have one. We have one but he is at C, Zaza. So we have those two guys playing out of position. Al should really be at SF and Smoove at PF..I don't think Woody has a clue, this team is a lot better than 7-22. I expect Marvin to really make strides if we actually get an offensive system in place. What kind of system do we run? Marvin's skills aren't even close to being utilized....He already is a better ball handler than smoove and a better shooter than Chill and Smoove.

Guest Walter

Unfortunately, that is the nature of this team now. While there may occur some good with a two quarterback system, it can also damage both, hurt the team, and invest too much capitol at the QB position. The same is true with our log jam at forward.

Pathway, I simply disagree. There is a logjam. If Josh Smith were to "make strides" Marvin and Chill would get significantly fewer MPG. If Chill... If Marvin...

Rajon better at least be the next coming of Mookie or we should all be pissed.

W

There is no logjam but a coach that doesn't have a clue how to use his players! He should just tell Smoove he is a PF, let Al start at SF, and let Marvin back them both up. I think Woody is confusing the hell out of his players with defensive assignments, make it simple for the love of god...

• Admin

and without being the five year project that Al was.

The purpose of it, IMO, is that BK has never intended to keep Al. He's not willing to pay Al what he will be offered elsewhere. Al leaves, we either get a trade, an SnT or our money back and Marvin drops into his spot. It doesn't hurt either of the Josh's.

• Admin

that's just absurd and you know better. Projects have been going top 3 for a decade or more now. Unless a player is Duncan, Shaq or Lebron, they are all considered projects. Very few #1 players are 20/10 guys in their rookie years. Usually teh ones that are.. well, you see them coming a mile away. Marvin is no different. He wasn't expected to come in here and be a 20/10 player in his first year.

You go overboard on him becuase you don't like the pick. I don't like the pick either. Bug you're being ridiculous.

Yeah. We could have drafted Chris Paul and passed on the one player in the draft with superstar potential. Then, in 2-3 years, we could look back on it and criticize BK for passing on the superstar to draft for need, and in the process getting a point guard that can only play point guard, is a defensive liability, and doesn't fit the team at all.

Chris Paul would have been the Pete Babcock pick. He's the guy that fills the immediate need and makes the immediate impact. Potential be damned. Chris Paul will not be a superstar player in this league though, and Marvin Williams will be. Just wait.

Quote:

Then, in 2-3 years, we could look back on it and criticize BK for passing on the superstar to draft for need, and in the process getting a point guard that can only play point guard, is a defensive liability, and doesn't fit the team at all.

Thank goodness we didn't get a point guard who can only play point guard!

That would never mesh with the current team and philosphy because BK only likes shooting guards who can only play point guard because of their height (Lue/Salim/Delk/Ivey).