• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Draft's Likely Pg Prospects

Guest Walter

• Admin

First off, Chris Paul is not a bad defender. You will not find one example to back this up, other than your obsession with his height. So far it hasn't been a problem for him. He's been a very solid defender and hasn't really had anyone blow up on him. opponent scoring aside, he's also doing a superb job of forcing some of the games best floor leaders into significantly higher than average turnovers. You're just flat out wrong.

your comments on Damon Stoudamire are childish. You compare him to Paul because of his size and nothing more. Damon was a hell of a good PG for the first 4-5 years of his career. He averaged nearly 20ppg and over 8apg during that time. That's far from "average". It wasn't until he went to Portland and was asked to play a different game, that those numbers dropped.

You are definitely of the same mind as BK. You're obsession with athleticism, over IQ and actual production, is relentless.

How many Highschool or college coaches have ever been honest when evaluating a former player? Not many. Every year we hear how such and such player is "the best I've ever coached". It means jack. Stop throwing it out there like it really means something.

Opposing point guards also average around 21 points per 48 minutes against him, and he allows an opposing PER of around 19 at the point guard position. This is on top of the fact that every point guard he faced at the college level scored above their average on the season against him. He was routinely beaten by the likes of Jarrett Jack, Daniel Ewing, John Gilchrist, Raymond Felton, and Deron Williams at the college level.

He gets steals because he sags off and plays the passing lanes. Opposing players shoot over him with ease and post him up with ease.

I also thought his lack of size and strength would cause him to be injury prone at the NBA level, and what do you know. He's already injured.

Quote:

First off, Chris Paul is not a bad defender. You will not find one example to back this up, other than your obsession with his height. So far it hasn't been a problem for him. He's been a very solid defender and hasn't really had anyone blow up on him. opponent scoring aside, he's also doing a superb job of forcing some of the games best floor leaders into significantly higher than average turnovers. You're just flat out wrong.

your comments on Damon Stoudamire are childish. You compare him to Paul because of his size and nothing more. Damon was a hell of a good PG for the first 4-5 years of his career. He averaged nearly 20ppg and over 8apg during that time. That's far from "average". It wasn't until he went to Portland and was asked to play a different game, that those numbers dropped.

You are definitely of the same mind as BK. You're obsession with athleticism, over IQ and actual production, is relentless.

How many Highschool or college coaches have ever been honest when evaluating a former player? Not many. Every year we hear how such and such player is "the best I've ever coached". It means jack. Stop throwing it out there like it really means something.

He talks about long and tall as if it's actually a skill

or something. I haven't had the chance to see Paul play

yet, but he has to have some athletic ability and speed

to average 6RPG at the PG spot.

To say Rondo is not in the same class as Paul is not true. They may not be the same style of play or have the same body structure, but to say one is not in the class of the other is totally subjective.

While I wish we had Paul right now, I do think Rondo will do well on the next level.

I have seen Rondo a few times this year and I came away impressed with his playmaking abilities. He is a crafty type of player that can score around the basket. I am not sure of how consistent his outside shot is yet, but we will see. Gary Payton had a terrible outside shot coming into the league.

I think Rondo will be a nice pick for us next year. If not we have to get a legit PG through FA. We also have to get an athletic big man from somewhere this offseason or through a trade.

Rondo will be fine playing in an Atlanta Hawks uniform next year.

• Premium Member

When I say that Rondo is not in the same class, this is what I mean.

Paul can make those around him better (similar to Kidd, Nash)..

Rondo doesn't. Rondo would need existing talent.

I don't see much of a difference right now between Rondo and Ivey. Which is why I think Rondo needs another year.

Most of you say Rajon is not in paul's or Deron Williams class(I don't know about Williams) but how about Raymond Felton? Felton was the 3rd highest point drafted last year so do you guys see Rondo as being better than Felton? If he is at least as good as Felton we should take a chance on him.

• Premium Member

I might consider him to be close to Felton.. maybe above Felton. Felton has mastered one thing. Scoring. Felton doesn't make those around him any better either. I think Rondo and Felton both share speediness to blow past defenders and to control passing lanes, but neither of them are great generals on the floor.

Quote:

Rajon Rondo has athletic skills and physical attributes that Chris Paul will never have. He's a much longer player. Chris Paul's lack of height and his complete inability to defend is what will keep him from becoming a superstar in the NBA. His career will pretty much follow the same path that Kenny Anderson's and Damon Stoudamire's careers followed.

This is completely absurd

• Premium Member

Paul had bad nights vs bigger guards (or I should say bigger guards had good nights against him). However, in response to some else's statistical breakdown of The Great Big World vs. Chris Paul, I did my own analysis of Paul's last season game by game, back court by back court, and showed that not only was Paul not beaten badly every single game by every taller or bigger player, but that these claims were in fact quite the opposite - often with Chris Paul outrebounding and/or getting to the foul line more times than entire back courts and frontcourts by himself.

Moreover, his team won the majority of these games because of his abilty to make others better. Which is really all that I or anyone else who respects his game cares about.

• Moderators

Quote:

So, you want to draft him based on highschool?..Good pointguards like Paul, Kidd, or Nash make average guys look better..Rondo doesn't seem to have the ability to elevate his teammates..That is a must on a young team like the Hawks..I watched him several times last year and a few times this season, I don't see anything special about him other than good defense..He is not remotely as good as Paul or Deron were last year.

No, I wouldn't want to draft him based on high school. If you watched Kentucky last year, Rondo set steals records for UK (not freshmen - overall single season steals and there have been a lot of good players at UK) and was the most important player on the floor by the time of the NCAA tournament. He then went over the summer and beat out the best PGs in the college game to become the leading point guard for the under-21 national team.

This season he has been limited by the offensive games of his teammates and Tubby's inability to get them to move effectively off the ball but he still is putting up impressive #s and leading the team in every significant stat category. He will become the first Kentucky PG ever to lead the team in rebounding to set another UK record this year.

I expect that he will look better with Morris back but the biggest key for him to look good as a playmaker would be getting people moving off the ball.

The high school comparison is only relevant because of the people he is being compared against who became NBA point guards.

• Premium Member

Rondo hasn't impressed me on the offensive end either, but having watched Kentucky several times this year, it's hard to get a real feel for his offensive talents.

Same goes for Aldridge in Texas. Man, are those guards hogs or what?

• Premium Member

grin.gif

Quote:

Felton will be the best point guard from this past year's draft class before it is all said and done.

laugh.gif

Damn KB. Is this your plan to Justify Marvin??

You just keep believing that Chris Paul isn't good...

Quote:

I don't believe that McRoberts or Aldridge is coming out either. Aldridge is playing well, but he probably will take the time to get his back 100%. Unless he pulls an Okafor and make people forget about the back (and we see Okafor isn't helping him), then I think he might spend one more year improving his stock.

Maybe McRoberts does not go but I think he will. His stock in a weak draft will be at a peak. Aldridge for sure will go. He has a chance to be the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft.

I just can't see Aldridge staying in college another year for what is pretty close to the same reason you say he will not go. If he gets injured again, he risk dropping out of the lottery completely...

• Premium Member

I think his stock will drop (Aldridge).. Just like last time. Aldridge has gone out and played well. People already knew he had the potential.

The question will become will anybody want to invest in a player who has already had to have back surgeory?