• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Al news

wartownrep

"I know the Hawks haven't ruled out the idea of bringing Harrington back and have told him so. They're not going to move him unless they get back a first-rounder or two (to replace what went out in the Joe Johnson deal) and something else useful. Reason being: Atlanta figures it can get something back in a Harrington sign-and-trade in the summer because, with the Hawks holding his Bird rights, Harrington can get a bigger contract doing it that way." ESPN.com

• Premium Member

Quote:
with the Hawks holding his Bird rights, Harrington can get a bigger contract doing it that way."

Yes, but the Hawks are left with less than the MLE while they wait for Al to decide...

I beginning to think the real plan is to re-sign him.

why would we be held to less than the MLE?

you can go over the cap to resign your own player if you own his bird rights...granted you can't just put your own guy's signing off till after you sign someone else...but I thought our cap situation was better than simply the MLE + 8-9 mil regardless...

• Premium Member

Al is going to cost us about 10-11 million (10.3 mill to be exact) in cap hold... Once we denounce Delk, including Al's 10-11 million, we will have roughly 37.67 mil spent (11 mil)... in the cap. That means we will be able to to afford to spend close to 12 million dollars on free agency before re-signing or SNTing Al.

Moreover, I think we can get a deal done with Al for about 9.1 per... that's starts a little lower than 8.5.. That's about 2 million more.

The reality is that BK wants a pick, not a player for Al. He is still looking to build through the draft.

Realitically they should be able to get more than a 1st rounder and expirer(s) for Al but I think that is the direction BK is going.

I just wish this Artest deal would get done. Walsh basically has tied the hands of all the GMs while they wait for him to make up his mind.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Al is going to cost us about 10-11 million (10.3 mill to be exact) in cap hold... Once we denounce Delk, including Al's 10-11 million, we will have roughly 37.67 mil spent (11 mil)... in the cap. That means we will be able to to afford to spend close to 12 million dollars on free agency before re-signing or SNTing Al.

Moreover, I think we can get a deal done with Al for about 9.1 per... that's starts a little lower than 8.5.. That's about 2 million more.

The Hawks are currently sitting at $32.1M in guaranteed salaries next year. Add in Al's cap hold ($10.43M, as you correctly figured) and the hold for the first rounder (between $2M and $3M), and the Hawks are bettin' the bank on either re-signing or S&T Al.

They're looking at only $4-5 in cap space while they wait on Al. But so be it - he's one of the best FA's on the market.

(There's also the possibility that Batista and/or Edwards have contracts for next year that are non-guaranteed, but until I hear otherwise...Of course, Royal Ivey will cost them ~$1M in cap holds, too, so it might be even worse).

• Premium Member

Quote:
The Hawks are currently sitting at $32.1M in guaranteed salaries next year.

I feel silly replying/quoting myself, but I know Diesel will want to know where I got $32.1M guaranteed, so I'll preempt his response:

JJ - $12.80M (I've seen some estimates of $12.97M)

Marvin - $4.17M

Zaza - $4.00M

Lue - $3.50M

Childress - $2.86M

Smith - $1.46M

Edwards - $1.08M

Salim - $0.75M

Donta - $0.74M

Batista - $0.74M

Total - $32.10M

• Premium Member

I'm sure we denounce Delk/Ivey.

Our numbers are not that different... You just added in a top 1st rounder. I have done that yet because it's possible we don't have a pick.

Still, the figure of about 12 million with Al's hold looks about right on both of our books.

Also, don't forget JJ's contract was frontloaded, he goes back to 11.67 by year 2.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Also, don't forget JJ's contract was frontloaded, he goes back to 11.67 by year 2.

For cap purposes, JJ's signing bonus gets distributed out over the course of the deal, and the base amount still increases at 10.5% each year.

I went back and checked my numbers and I think JJ's cap hit next year will actually be 13.05M (I was using 8%, but since it was a S&T, he gets 10.5% raises).

Year 1: $12.00M

Year 2: $13.05M

Year 3: $14.10M

Year 4: $15.15M

Year 5: $16.20M

Something like that, at least. Regardless, the Hawks will only have $4-5M to work with after the draft pick is figured in...Let's hope Al is in a "get $$$ fast" kind of mood.

{And you're right Ivey and Delk's cap hold will be renounced).