• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Why did BK reject this deal???

mrhonline

• Premium Member

From CNNSI (can't verify the link, though):

Quote:
SI's Ian Thomsen writes that Denver G.M. Kiki Vandeweghe offered Kenyon Martin and Voshon Lenard to the Pacers last week for Artest and 6'11" backup Scot Pollard. Indiana rejected that deal, unwilling to add the six years and $81.3 million remaining on Martin's contract to their bloated $79 million payroll. The Pacers did, however, provide Vandeweghe with a list of players, including Hawks forward Al Harrington, Lakers forward Lamar Odom and Grizzlies guard Mike Miller whom the Nuggets could acquire from a third team and then relay to Indiana for Artest. Denver spent last Friday trying to get Harrington, but Atlanta rejected an offer of Nené and two first-round picks.

Wow. If that's true, then wow.

Wow. Stupid. Wow.

Well, I far as I know Denver doesn't have a first round pick in the '06 draft which is what I believe BK is looking for. I think he's looking to give Phoenix 2 late round choices in what appears to be a weak draft as opposed to last years.

As for me, I'm not sure if I take that deal or not. The draft picks are probably going to be low round picks. So I think we'd be getting Nene and two mediocre talents for Al. I really like Nene, and I feel adding a center like him to our line-up would really help our defense. But I also feel, Al's value is at an all-time high and I think BK feels that he can make Denver offer a little more.

• Premium Member

Quote:
Well, I far as I know Denver doesn't have a first round pick in the '06 draft which is what I believe BK is looking for. I think he's looking to give Phoenix 2 late round choices in what appears to be a weak draft as opposed to last years.

You can't do that. The Suns get the Hawks' pick regardless of how many other picks Knight acquires. Regardless, does he really think he's going to do better than two picks and a big man with decent upside?

First, they draft Marvin instead of a PG. Then, they don't sign Al to an extension, so you would think they want to trade him for young talent. Then, you hear they want draft picks. Then, they turn down the offer of draft picks AND young talent.

What in Hades is Knight doing? I hate to be impatient, but I'm starting to lose faith...

confused1.gif

you guys are forgetting the Billy didn't pull the original Joe Johnson trade, NJ did. the Nuggets gave up 3 first rounders to NJ in that deal. i doubt Atlanta would get a pick for 2 years. even Billy is smart enough to know he'll be fired by then if this sillyness continues.

• Premium Member

I think what it really says is that BK probably wants to re-sign Al or use him in a SNT..

My prediction is Woody gone before Al.

The reason being is that BK cannot have another losing season of the magnitude that he has had. I mean, now.. He's starting to have the finger pointed at him?

2 trips to the Lottery, 70 million, 2 1st, and Diaw for JJ, contracts for Zaza, Batista, and Lue... And what do we have to show for it??

We're the same as we were last year?

Nope.. BK will keep Al unless another player capable of helping us win this year is offered.

To make the list short for you (names we have heard):

Miller

Bibby

Marbury

Francis

Duhon

Hinrich

Magette

Collison

I simply choose not to believe that BK wants just draft picks. He has to win at least 2 times as much as we did last year OR That's his face with egg on it and Belk gets the biggest laugh.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Woody released and BK doing some coaching before it's all over. Right now, it's hard to know if the owners will help him to get one of these big name coaches we keep hearing about.

I got 2 words for BK: Frank Johnson.

BK ought to advise Woody to get this man on his staff.

That way if BK has to fire Woody, he can make Johnson the interim coach.

• Admin

I think BK had every intention of doing a SnT UNLESS a great deal came up that fills our needs (PG or Big). So far no such deal has presented itself.

I also thinks he has zero intentions of resigning Al to play here. Marvin was drafted to replace Al. So don't expect Al to be playing here next year under any circumstances.

• Premium Member

I wouldn't say that so quickly.

You have to look at what the market presents.

If the Market doesn't give AL a great SNT deal, it's possible that BK might sign him at a little better than Maggette prices.. and we'll just have usable depth.

Look at BK's History.

What did he have in Memphis when he left:

1 gasol,pau PF

2 williams,jason PG

3 battier,shane SG

4 wright,lorenzen C

5 swift,stromile PF

6 dickerson,michae SG

7 buford,rodney SG

8 knight,brevin PG

9 long,grant SF

10 massenburg,tony PF

11 perry,elliott PG

12 solomon,wille PG

13 gill,eddie PG

14 anderson,nick SG

15 fotsis,antonis SF

16 austin,isaac C

I have highlighted the guys who he was responsible for bringing in... It's interesting when you think about it?

• Admin

I think there are tons of teams that are going to go after Al and this is the year that Al expects to get paid. While there may be only so many teams that can throw money at him straight up. There are a lot of teams that would come calling if it was a trade/SnT scenario.

Al wants to get paid and to fully realise that, he has to go for an SnT. There will be plenty of teams, both with cash and with trades, that will want him. Unless he just decides to take less money and leave us high and dry, which is a possiblity, we hold a lot of cards in this game.

• Admin

who pay players like al and lesser to Al, significant money. You call him a tweener. But GM's of bad teams see 19/7/2 on 46% (both field and 3). Those are significant numbers and really not the type that find themselves in the free agent market often.

There will be plenty of teams going after Al in the off season.

• Moderators

If you don't like Al's game then we're left 'holding the bag' but if you do like him then we're really in the driver's seat here. I don't think Al would just bolt because I think BK is trying to move him to a winner if he moves him at all. Al knows and respects that.

• Moderators

Quote:

BUT what team is going to give up a "piece" of their puzzle for a tweener that can't D anybody up?

We gave up great picks for flawed players like Glenn Robinson, Lorezen Wright and (to a lesser extent) Shareef Abdur-Rahim.

BK would take a lottery pick like those involved in those trades.