• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Set Rotation strikes again....

Diesel

• Premium Member

4th qtr, Hawks hanging to the lead.

Herb: Maybe you ought to put Josh back in the game.

Woody: How many minutes have Joshed played?

Herb: Somewhere about 20?

Woody: Is it 19 or is it 20?

Herb: We're losing the lead, we need some defense out there.

Woody: We have to play 4 games in the next 5 days, I want everybody fresh.

Herb: What about winning one game at a time.

Josh: Coach, put me in.

Woody: Herb is it 19 or 20?

Herb: 20.

Woody: Done deal.

Herb: How about Delk playing.

Woody: (Blank expression).

Meanwhile, Scalibrine slides past #10 for a putback.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

From what I have seen, there isn't a player on this team that isn't a defensive liability. We like to pick and choose our favorites and we have fallen into this mode where we believe that every year we have to trade our best players for picks or something other than talent. However, it's the road to more and more submediocrity.

If we trade Al for some of these trades that have been proposed, we will be the worst team in the league for the next 2 years.

We shouldn't think of our team as a developing ground. What happens is that we will start to develop players and they will leave and we will never win anything.

When we made the move to bring in JJ, we were moving past constantly wishing that we can find something in the draft. Moreover, this upcoming draft isn't looking too strong unless something happens... but even one or 2 players won't increase the overall strength of the draft.

• Moderators

Exactly. I know there are some Woody defenders out there lets here from them. I'll give him credit that we've been playing better offensively for a the last few weeks, but coaching was suspect last night. Was it a fluke? Everyone makes mistakes. Or is it the kind of stuff that has been happenning for a year and a half.

If we trade Al for some of these trades that have been proposed, we will be the worst team in the league for the next 2 years."

That's probably going to happen anyway. The real start of

change is bringing in a winning coach with winning experience.

I for one am sick of undeveloped head coaches that have no

clue what the h*ll they are doing.

what are you talking about?

smoove averages over 26mpg in the set rotation

woody STRAYED from that rotation last night and didn't play smoove enough...if he'd stuck to it, we woulda seen another 7mins of smoove and we may have won the game

blame woody for being a dumbass last night, but don't blame the set rotation, as he didn't use it

• Premium Member

When I blame the set rotation, I blame Woody for not being able to recognize a player who is having a positive effect on what we are doing on the floor CURRENTLY.

Al and JJ are our workhorses, but if they are not having a good game or if somebody else is having a good game, we shouldn't be too caught up in the set rotation that we don't play the other player.

That's my problem with the set rotation. I'm not saying we move to a rotation of freedom and players don't know if they will ever play.. But to have a rigid rotation that is not based on matchup or current play is foolish and I believe that has a lot to do with why we lost.

When you're up 20, and you start to lose the lead, as a coach you have to exhaust every option.... Woody didn't do that. He stuck with the same losing option and lost the game.

Quote:

But to have a rigid rotation that is not based on matchup or current play is foolish and I believe that has a lot to do with why we lost.

He stuck with the same losing option and lost the game.

??

he did not use a rigid rotation last night; otherwise smoove woulda played 6:49 more

he did not stick with the set rotation last night

he went another direction and it hurt us

we have NO clue why he didn't play smoove more (unless only to play al more to showcase him, but then he coulda played them together) but it did NOT have to do with some 'rigid set rotation' as woody didn't follow that

there is some other reason that woody chose to sit smoove and it doesn't make sense to us knowing what we know

• Premium Member

Did he go with a player who was playing best?

No.. Otherwise Smoove would have played.

Did he go with a matchup advantage?

No... Otherwise Smoove would have played.

He went something that was not based on what was going on on the floor or based on matchup!

Quote:

we have NO clue why he didn't play smoove more (unless only to play al more to showcase him, but then he coulda played them together) but it did NOT have to do with some 'rigid set rotation' as woody didn't follow that

there is some other reason that woody chose to sit smoove and it doesn't make sense to us knowing what we know

And until this magical reason is given to us as fans through the media, then Woody is a dumbass and should be on the hotseat.

• Premium Member

So you're suggesting that Woody played Musical chairs...

He has everybody on the bench stand up, Herb removes one chair, they all walk around and whoever is left without a seat has to get in the game??

Damn. Tell Smoove not to be so good at the musical chairs in the 4th.

Quote:

Al played 43 minutes and had only 4 rebounds. In fact he had more fouls and just as many turnovers. Pretty lame for a "power" forward.

Except when you consider that Al is really a small forward. His incredible shooting of late emphasizes that.

Al is the teams best offensive player currently, so he is doing something right.

Al has some big games offensively and some weak games. However his pathetic defense shows up every game.

The Hawks suck on D and turn it over too much.

Harrington sucks on D and turns it over too much.

The Hawks have plenty of guys who can score but they won't be a good team until they improve their D and take better care of the ball.

• Premium Member

That's such a misleading statement...

"The Hawks have plenty guys who can score".

Most of the guys we have that can score are guys who cannot create for themselves.

I think one thing you always fail to account for is how many of our guys scoring is dependent on Al. Our Shooting percentage would dip because those guys who get those wide open looks won't. Also, we don't have a low post threat any longer... save Zaza with his spinaruni.

Who knows why Woody didn't play Smoove more.

Perhaps he felt that we couldn't be effective with a small lineup so he decided to play Zaza 40+ minutes instead of his usual 31.

Perhaps he felt that Chillz, Marvin and JJ would do a better job defending Pierce/Davis on the perimeter than Smoove.

Perhaps he's just clueless when it comes to matchups.

The bottom line is that WHATEVER the reason was he didn't play Smoove, it certainly didn't have anything to do with a set rotation.

If you put Smoove or Marvin in Al's position of trying to create their own shots, I think both would see a significant rise in the number of turnovers they have. Neither of them is nearly as polished as Al is offensively at this point. Al is a VERY good offensive player and I like what he brings to the table in that aspect of his game.