• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

New Poster Big Josh Smith Fan From Real GM.Com

SmooveTheFuture

Hello Everyone

Iam a big Hawks and Josh Smith fan I post alot on Realgm.Com I decided to post here recently since I been reading some comments about Josh Smith And Mike Woodson debacle the other night. What do you guys think of Smith what kind of player do you think hes gonnna be Id like to your hear your opinons. I think he can be a similar player to Chris Bosh just has to learn a low post game and get more consistent minutes. I cant wait to see Al Harrington traded for a true PG so that Smith can get big time minutes Hes the most exciting player the Hawks have on either end of the court. He brings instant energy and fire to the court once he can hit his Jumper on a consistent basis look out what do you guys think. Also want Mike Woodson fired asap hes not the guy to lead this team how do you forgot to put your best defense presense in the game. Hes paid millions to do wat just inexcuseable. Let me know thanks

• Premium Member

Top = AK47

Bottom = Stromile Swift

Right now: He's slightly above Darius Miles.

What I would like to see is that he works on his game to become more offensive like McDyess. I think Josh has the tools to be a superstar (unlike some here), I think he definitely has the drive to be a better player than he is right now. We have to realize that he would just be a sophomore at Indiana University right now so he's come a long way from nearly nothing.

Unlike our coaches, I think that Al and Josh should be on the floor together most of the time. I don't think it's a case that Al is hindering Smoove, in fact, Smoove could have made a statement against Washington if he believed that. However, I think Smoove defense can help Al and I think Al's offense can help Smoove. There's still plenty of time for Marvin/Chillz.

I think in order to really grow, Smoove will need different coaching. It would be a bad idea to keep an inexperience coach with an inexperienced team. I would be willing to get a guy like PJ Carlisimo here. He's had a long tenure with San Antonio.. Plus, he wasn't a bad coach when he coached the trailblazers to the finals. I think he can use his experience as a former college coach to reach our young guys... Plus unlike Woody, he does motivate.

I also think he needs a defensive C. If we re-signed Al, I would want us to also sign Battie. I think that would really help our frontcourt.

Wow no way he will ever be bad as bad as Stromile Swift hes already better then him now right now. Swift has the worst IQ in the NBA imo and zero jump shot. AK47 doesnt have a consistent jumper I think with time if Josh can hit the jumper on a consistent level and learn post moves skies the limit. Hes a pretty good shooter for his age and very talented you gotta remeber this kid just turned 20 in Dec 5th and shows a great knack to play defense. People say he hasnt improved his game I disagree. This is all his kid knows is Basketball hes been doing it his whole life. He went over to China this past summer, Worked with Chris Bosh his good buddy in the offseason run some summer leagues. I can see his jumper is slightly improved not consistent But Iam sure it will come. I wanna see this kid get like 35 mins a game to see what he can do. I do agree that the Hawks need a good coach that can deal with the young guys. Woodson doesnt have a clue how to do deal with these players. I dont see Al Harrington staying here at all they will trade before they get nothing for him. He is really holding down the development of some of the young guys. They need consistent minutes to see what there all about if the Hawks arent going to make the playoffs they should just trade Al and Fire Woodson let the process begin.

I have no idea why on Earth the Hawks drafted Marvin Williams as well. I know it has been beaten to a pulp but cmon Hawks needed 2 guys either Andrew Bogut or Chris Paul. Paul was there and should have been the guy hands down. This teams needs a floor leader someone who can run the floor dish the ball get in the lane and pass the ball. Not another tweener which we have so many of.

Also I do think 2night is pretty much a game where you say we can make the playoffs or we cant. This is a must win came over a very Hot Ny Knicks team last time the Hawks owned them Smith had 8 Blocks if Hawks can somehow beat them and end there hot streak. This will speak volumes!

Quote:

Top = AK47

Bottom = Stromile Swift

Right now: He's slightly above Darius Miles.

What I would like to see is that he works on his game to become more offensive like McDyess. I think Josh has the tools to be a superstar (unlike some here), I think he definitely has the drive to be a better player than he is right now. We have to realize that he would just be a sophomore at Indiana University right now so he's come a long way from nearly nothing.

Unlike our coaches, I think that Al and Josh should be on the floor together most of the time. I don't think it's a case that Al is hindering Smoove, in fact, Smoove could have made a statement against Washington if he believed that. However, I think Smoove defense can help Al and I think Al's offense can help Smoove. There's still plenty of time for Marvin/Chillz.

I think in order to really grow, Smoove will need different coaching. It would be a bad idea to keep an inexperience coach with an inexperienced team. I would be willing to get a guy like PJ Carlisimo here. He's had a long tenure with San Antonio.. Plus, he wasn't a bad coach when he coached the trailblazers to the finals. I think he can use his experience as a former college coach to reach our young guys... Plus unlike Woody, he does motivate.

I also think he needs a defensive C. If we re-signed Al, I would want us to also sign Battie. I think that would really help our frontcourt.

I actually dont think Josh Smith will ever develop much.

Stat wise he's made little improvement his second year..

Granted you might can put some of that on Mike... Look

at Boris...

But I doubt Josh will come close to being a superstar. I

think he'll have a solid career as a borderline starter,

but I see no reason to believe he will be better than

that... Does he have a real drive to get better? The way

he acts uninterested at times leads me to believe he

will not be much better than he is.

I think Smith's improvements from day to day since he came in the league are more visible than any other player out there. They just don't show up on the stat sheets. He has developed a J when he had none, has learned a lot more patience on defense, has improved his passing, and is actually starting to have some moves off the dribble without turning it over. If he can keep improving his handle and work on some post moves he could be dangerous.

I still think he can be an all star (a couple times) but not a true superstar like Duncan or Shaq of course.

I've maintained from day one that Josh Smith is a young Shawn Kemp. There are some subtle differences, but they are similar players.

If Atlanta would ever commit to an up tempo style of play, I believe Smith's game offensively could take off. I think he has the requisite skills to play in an up tempo style attack.

I don't think Smith is quite the all around player AK47 is, but I think it is good that AK is the guy he's trying to pattern his game around.

If the Hawks play him 30+ minutes at the 4 i think he could be very productive. He has gotten much better at that mid-range shot so defenders have to honor it. And if a big man is running out to challenge his shot Smith can easily drive past him.

If he hits that mid-range shot consistently and becomes just an average ball handler he will be tough for other 4s to cover.

• Premium Member

Yep I believe they just need to put him on the floor at the 4 and let him play 35 mins a game and that will prove over time what he can do. He is physically ready but is young and immature at this point. That is one one of the reasons the NBA changed the rules. Kids are just too young coming out of high school with the exception of a very few.

I think the Hawks have to let him loose and give him starter minutes Like 35+ a game if they gave him that many minutes the rest of the year, We could see the kind of player he can become Theres no reason he couldnt avg around 14-15 pts 6-9 Rbs and 3-6 Blocks a game and this only at 20. People say hes not big enuff to play the 4 BSSSS Barkley was 6-5 and dominated the low post Chris Bosh is only 6'10 and they play him at the PF or Center at times. Ive seen alot of interviews where he speaks like he wants to be a star the key to his development is how much he wants to get better and the drive he has to become a better player. I can see at times this year has been frustrated with the lack of ball movement. Also on defense this kid makes plays that make your jaw drop how many times already has there been a fast break and hell run down from the other 3 point line to block a shot stuff that like that can not be coached. That right there shows me a desire to be a good player hes always the 1st guy hustlingn on defense and is never rewarded. How many times this year has he been open in the lane and no one has got him in the ball. I also feel if the Hawks ran the floor more this team would be 10x better then it is now. You would have Childress , Smith and Marvin running who is gonna keep up with them. But prior to this Wizards game he was really making huge strides in his game you can see hes more involved asking for the ball. The fact that he does well in the 1st and then is put on the bench is not good if hes playing well keep him in the game. The coach needs to show confidence in him if hes going to start Josh Smith give him starter esp on a team that is on the way to the lottery it looks like. I still see Woodson has a big factor in this kids development send him packing already. Out of 3 the guys we drafted who has the better chance to become a big time player overall. Smoove, Marvin or Childress I have to go with Smoove hands down he is already a defensive guy at the age of 20 once he gains more confidence in his game I dont see why he shouldnt be a force in the NBA. What do you guys think.

Quote:

I've maintained from day one that Josh Smith is a young Shawn Kemp. There are some subtle differences, but they are similar players.

If Atlanta would ever commit to an up tempo style of play, I believe Smith's game offensively could take off. I think he has the requisite skills to play in an up tempo style attack.

I don't think Smith is quite the all around player AK47 is, but I think it is good that AK is the guy he's trying to pattern his game around.

Well, if the team had a point guard who could push the ball (i.e., Paul) we might be a running team. To bad BK f'ed it up.

• Premium Member

The problem is not playing time. The problem is a PG. Smoove will be a much better player with a better team around him. Guys who can create for themselves and score AND a PG who can make things happen. Just remember when KMart played for NJ. Kmart came to the league with a similar skillset as Smoove. That is not really a Sf and Not really a Pf but can finish on the break and plays defense. Well, teaming him up with Jason Kidd made him a Max Contract Allstar!

We need a PG who can make those around him better.

I would take an aging Sam Cassell because I know that Cassell can do it. I would take Speedy Claxton, but I'm fearful...

But we missed out on Paul!

Quote:

We drafted Marvin because BK has no faith in Smoove. If BK really felt that JJ was a 2 and Smoove was a 3 (as he said last year) then there was no real need for Marvin...

That is inane Diesel, your imagination working overdrive again? You insinuate that BK's lack of faith in Smoove led us to draft Marvin, when we have Al as an unrestricted free agent the next offseason? What do you think BK is more concerned about, replacing Al's production cheaply, or replacing a rookie on a very reasonable contract who is only 20 years old? BK has stated before that he thinks Smoove can play the 4 and he thinks Marvin is a 3...I think I'll go by what BK said then what you say he is thinking.. and I'd much rather have Smoove at the 4 than Al at least he can defend the position MUCH better and isn't an offensive blackhole that can't play D..I don't have ESP, do you?

• Premium Member

You got JC, JS, and Al playing 2, 3, and 4.

All of these guys are guys that Bk likes.

The draft yields Marvin, Paul, and Deron...

Our immediate need was at 1 and 5.

BK picks Marvin.

Marvin is a typical SF, not to be confused at all with a PF.

What it suggests is that BK had:

1. NO faith in Smoove at the 3.

2. NO faith in Paul and Deron as PGs...

Can you show me how the reasoning is wrong?

I'll buy that he had no faith in Paul because of his short arms and mediocre height, and Deron because of his slow speed. But not Smoove at the 3... He has said numerous times he likes versatility and Smoove is a player that can play several positions. He wanted another player that could play the 3/4 and he got it... Marvin is Al's replacement, not Smoove's imo...I don't think BK feels the team can hold on to Al economically (I do believe he likes Al though) its just not economical to keep him on this team. You could say this and I would buy it, that he drafted Marvin to motivate Smoove. Yes I'll buy that. What young player doesn't need competition at their position for motivation? Chris Paul has Speedy Claxton behind him for motivation.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Q. Looking at Marvin Williams, Andrew Bogut and Chris Paul – are they on the top of your list?

Knight: We are looking at a lot of players. I don’t get into commenting on individual players right now, but all of them are good young players, and all of them will be able to help a team, and we think they have talent, and we think they will be in the league for a long time.