• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why do you want Al traded...

Diesel

Scarecrows? You are the one hiding from the issue, talking about free agent dollars and Marvin and Josh's potential (or lack thereof in your mind)

The main issue is that Al is a lousy defender and rebounder, and that is why people don't want him here. His 18 ppg don't make up for that.

You are so deluded that:

You said Al consistently averages 20 ppg, which he has never averaged in his career.

You said he leads the league in 3s when isn't sniffing the leaders, averaging less than 1 made 3 per game.

You said a team with the 28th ranked defense in the league could win 10 straight games.

You have said repeadedly that the Hawks are playoff contenders.

Here's the deal. Teams over the cap can sign Al too. It's called a sign and trade.

Same way the Knicks signed Curry. You send a young player and expiring contract, another star player, or expiring contracts and draft picks for Al. BK wants more picks. A sign and trade with Al would get us some draft picks.

• Premium Member

e lesson.

For a SNT to happen, Al must agree to the terms AND we must agree to the terms.

BK is not going to just let any team DUMP their junk on us and sign Al.

Secondly, I'm not against draft picks as long as they are good ones.. However, i would much rather get a player that helps us.

However, as the poll suggest, many of you who want to trade Al really don't care what we get as long as he's gone and there's room for Marvin and Josh...

That stance makes me ask the question...

Is there any need to argue with the Basketball ignorant?

I don't think so.

You guys are like people who have been on welfare for too long. You have become conditioned to believe that the Hawks can't do better so there's no need in keeping talent. Proven talent only gets in the way...

confused.gif

Basketball Ignorant.

So lets see the logic here. Trade a 25 year old who is coming into his own and still is improving to make room for two 19 year old projects who are years away from being as good as the 25 year old is now. Yeah thats smart and also the reason we always sukkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 confused.gif

He plays terrible defense; we're set at small forward but Al is too small to be a dominant power forward; he doesn't rebound well enough for a power forward; he doesn't shoot a good percentage for a post player (probably because of his size); he has bad knees that will probably only get worse; and he wants too much money.

Your delusions continue, as evidenced by your omissions in the poll choices.

It is funny you call us ignorant yet you are the one talking playoffs and predicting 10 straight wins for a team that has the 28th ranked D in the league.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Quote:

You have become conditioned to believe that the Hawks can't do better so there's no need in keeping talent. Proven talent only gets in the way...

I believe the Hawks CAN do better, that's why I'm against signing Harrington. I think signing him for around 8 million is not possible. $10 million is the minimum for us to get Al back, and that does not include his annual 12% raises.

I believe signing Al is settling for being mediocre at best. Al+JJ+Nene does not equal championship. If we sign Al we are out of the running for Free Agents in 2007. Trade Al now, or for expiring contracts and draft picks in the offseason, and we have the opportunity to be a player in 2007 free agency.

I want something better than JJ+Al being the two stars on our team, that's why Al has to go. Al is perhaps at his highest value right now. I want to sell high.

Resigning AL would be a huge mistake but people we are talking about BILLY KNIGHT, here and no AL is not better than any of the young guys at this point atleast they can play D on a consistent basis unlike AL, there's no way I would put this franchise in the hand's of AL who is not worth the money he wants, he is not a franchise player I would rather MARVIN or one of the JOSH'S be our franchise players, oh yeah we went 13- 69 with him last year and we are 10- 26 with him this year yeah he sure is helping us becom a playoff team we are 23- 95 with him total please get him out of here

I want him resigned for $8m or less, if that's not possible I want him traded for a point guard or a big man, so we don't lose him for nothing.

I don't see Al as a major threat to the development of either Josh or Marvin as long as we continue to improve our team chemistry by either:

- better coaching

- a better coach

- better playmaker at the 1

- better playmaking from JJ

- acquisition of a big man who shares the ball

The only thing about Al that I believe holds Josh and Marvin back is his tendency to get the ball and keep the ball, not the issue of minutes.

The three of them can share the minutes at the 3 and 4 for now with Childress getting his time at the 2 and 3 as a reserve. I don't believe Childress will ever be more than a role player, but I believe he's exactly the kind of role player a champion needs.

Josh and Marvin can both do MORE with the minutes they're given. I support Marvin 100%, but until he starts playing consistently with reckless abandon on the boards, he doesn't deserve more minutes than he's getting. He's still timid, but he seems to be growing confidence a little every week.

Al is not the only problem on defense, and if he puts in the work on his defense this offseason that he's put into his offense, he can be a complete player in this league. He can be a perrenial all star.

Without losing anyone we have we can get a PG and a true center (I have no idea where from), and we could have a great team with:

Legit PG

Legit C

Al

JJ

Marvin

Smith

Zaza

Childress

Salim

I don't know who starts and who comes off the bench, but I don't care. We're assembling true talent and we're making progress, if we have the right guy coaching these players and we start winning, guys will accept sitting on the bench at the tip.

Let me just say this, and i think most everyone will agree,......Harrington will want a max contract or very close to it after this season. If the dunleavys, foyles, and turkoglus can get over 40 million dollars, you dont think Al will ask for at least a 5 yr 55 million deal?

Quote:

Let me just say this, and i think most everyone will agree,......Harrington will want a max contract or very close to it after this season. If the dunleavys, foyles, and turkoglus can get over 40 million dollars, you dont think Al will ask for at least a 5 yr 55 million deal?

first off just because they got the money does'nt mean they were worth it although they are pretty decent players, AL may ask for it but that does'nt mean he deserves it yeah he sure has helped us make a run at the playoffs ooo.gif

LOL . . what kills me about this whole Al thing, is that people act like he'll be a 10 game difference if he were to be traded for some less talented offensive players, but better need players that can also play defense.

Having said that, I want Al traded to bring in some VETERAN talent to this team. These young kids need some vets on the team. Some REAL vets . . not 23 - 25 year old vets.

One of the main problems with this team, is that they don't know how to finish games. If they did, we'd be hovering close to .500 right now.

And that "finishing games" comment includes guys like JJ and Al, who really haven't been in the "go to guy" role much in their careers. It definitely shows at the end of these games.

History tells us that the likelihood of a quality unrestricted free agent signing with the Hawks, are slim and none. So if we are to address some of our "needs", without relying on 19 - 22 year old guys to address them, Al HAS to be traded to bring in some veterans.

What discourages me about Al, is his basketball IQ. Some guys play the game smart. Childress is one of those guys, when he's aggressive. Overall, he's a very smart basketball player. Al, on the other hand, seems to rely solely on his physical skill to make plays, and not his brain.

To re-sign Al, means that he'll have to consistently be our #1 option, while JJ plays the playmaker role and be the #2 option. Who knows if either of these guys are mentally equipped to be the #1 option. Al has the desire to be that #1 . . . just not the basketball savvy at the end of games to be effective in that role. A lot of that has to do with our lack of a true point guard.

But just like in the last offseason, when guys like Antonio Daniels, Damon Stoudamire, Nick Van Exel, and Bobby Jackson didn't give the Hawks the time of day . . the same fate awaits us yet again in the summer of 2006.

To get that big man or that PG, we almost have to trade Al to get them. Otherwise, we'll have to go via the draft,and hope we get lucky to draft a guy(s) who are NBA ready in their rookie year.

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member

Now that we have traded Al for a late first rounder... How does HS feel..

I mean, we've made room for JSmoove and Marvin just like the poll suggested we should...

Is there anybody satisfied with the Welfare we're recieving?

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

How many wish we had Al here instead of this midround pick...

To quote myself...

Quote:

You don't pay a player 14 million dollars and 12 million per year there after and then surround him with immature players and say... GO win.

You are 100% right. We are at the point where we are not trading for picks and capspace. We are at the point where we have talent and we are filling needs through FAcy and trade.

Quote:

How many wish we had Al here instead of this midround pick...

To quote myself...

I'll spare the rest of the forum re-reading your quoting yourself. It is silly how in order to "be right" you have to respond to yourself.

I do not wish we had Al here. I wish we got more for him.

W