• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Put Me On Another Bandwagon!!!

Tonight, I finally got a good look at Rajon Rondo aginst Georgia on ESPN, and let me say I came away very impressed with him to say the least. He could provide some great defense, energy, athleticisum, and smart play...all things that our young Hawks need.

But if we drafted him that would give us 3 smaller gaurds, which is too many in my oppinion. So who to put on the trade market? Rajon Rondo, Tyronn Lue, or Salim Stoudamire? I think that decision is easy...T-Lue. Now, I happen to like Ty Lue alot as a player, and as a veturan leader, but out of those three guys, he would be the weakest link in the future, and would have the most trade value now.

Another confict, at this point we look like we may be holding the top pick in this years draft, and while Rondo is going to be a hell of a player in this league, he isn't 1st overall pick worthy. So in my mind, the best thing for BK to do is trade down for multiple picks, one of which, we take Rondo.

Bottom line, this kid is going to be special, and I hope he can shine in the NBA as an Atlanta Hawk!!!

Rondo is very, very good. If he had a consistent jumper, he'd be the best point guard prospect to come out of college in the past 10 years, if not the past 15 years.

That's the only weakness I see in Rondo's game. The guy can penetrate and get into the lane on anyone. He does a fabulous job of locating his open teammates. He's a great on the ball defender. He's got extremely long arms, and his quickness is unmatched at the position.

• Moderators

I love Rondo but KB is hyping him way too much, IMO. He is very good but has struggled with some of his decisionmaking this season as well as his leadership skills. This season has actually been a disappointment for him so far and UK fans are feeling more and more like he will probably return for his junior year (not that I think they are necessarily right about that). He is a good passer and outstanding ball-hawk type defender. As a one on one defender he is not as good as he should be but with his length and quickness and leaping ability he will develop in that regard.

His major limitation is his terrible jump shot. He absolutely cannot stretch a defense but that would be OK on this team with JJ and Salim as potential backcourt mates. He is a very good penetrator and would do a much better job creating for his teammates than Lue, IMO. He also would benefit from JJ's ability to run the point since some of his best games are when Patrick Sparks takes on more ballhandling responsibilities (because he is trying to do everything otherwise) like at the UGA game last night.

I would love to see him end up on the Hawks but he won't be an instant savior.

Quote:

If he had a consistent jumper, he'd be the best point guard prospect to come out of college in the past 10 years, if not the past 15 years.

What??????

That's ridiculous. He might be a consistent jumper from being a great PG prospect, but that would only put him close to or on the same level as the Pauls, Feltons, D. Williams, J. Jacks, Telfairs and Livingstons of the world. He's lightyears away from being classified as a better prospect than those guys, and that's just out of the last two draft classes.

He's good and has potential, but he's got a lot to prove. This season has been a disaster for his draft status, because he hasn't shown that he can be a leader yet. What good is a PG prospect if he can't lead his team?

• Moderators

Quote:

that would only put him close to or on the same level as the Pauls, Feltons, D. Williams, J. Jacks, Telfairs and Livingstons of the world.

Even without a consistent jumper I'd take Rondo over Jack, Felton or Telfair at this point. He is not in the same class as Paul or D. Williams coming out of college and doesn't have the same potential as Livingston, though.

• Moderators

Quote:

Your right or teams would have pursued him stronger when he was a free agent this past off-season.

We got Stephen Jackson because other teams did not pursue him strongly in the off-season and traded him for Al Harrington. I'm not saying Lue has that kind of value (he doesn't) but I wouldn't write him off as a guy another team would be interested in acquiring.

Quote:

Quote:

Your right or teams would have pursued him stronger when he was a free agent this past off-season.

We got Stephen Jackson because other teams did not pursue him strongly in the off-season and traded him for Al Harrington. I'm not saying Lue has that kind of value (he doesn't) but I wouldn't write him off as a guy another team would be interested in acquiring.

I would.

Al and Jackson were both acquired with the idea that they would be starters. Anyone acquiring Lue is acquiring him with the idea he will be a back-up, at best.

Quote:

Anyone acquiring Lue is acquiring him with the idea he will be a back-up, at best.

No actually the Lakers were pursuing him in the offseason but he chose to stay here. You may not like it but the simple fact is that Lue is the best 3pt shooter and best ball handler on the team.

For starters, there is no way you can convince me (and I highly doubt anyone else on here) that Lue is a better 3 point shooter than Salim. He has a higher percentage because he only takes 3 pt shots when he is wide open whereas Salim comes into the games having to gun it, with most of his threes being contested. Higher percentage does not mean better shooter.

Childress has hit 12/23 3 points this year for .522, but I doubt you think he is our best 3 pt shooter. Or do you?

Rip Hamilton is hitting a higher 3 pt percentage than Redd this year, but he is not a better 3 pt shooter.

Stop focusing on stats so much

Quote:

Everyone knows that Lue is made to be a backup. That does not mean that he is worthless. He and Bobby Jackson are 2 of the best backup PG's in the league. You could get something in return. Maybe not a starter, but something.

There are a lot of other back-up point guards in this league that I rather have, from young guys (Jack, Felton, Devin Harris, Livingston, Mo Williams, Udrith, Calderon, Barbosa, Blake, Head, Duhon, etc.) to old guys (Claxton, Daniels, Jackson, Tinsley, Snow, McInnis, Arroyo, Watson, Boykins, etc.).