• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Staying down

exodus

The last couple of games I have seen a couple of blocks by Smith and Childress that were a little different.

At the end of the first quarter Magloire went up for a jumper near the end of the clock. Smith didnt jump right away. He stayed down until Magloire left his feet, gathered himself, and jumped quickly, blocking the shot easily.

The funny thing is Childress made the exact same type of block the previous game.

It isn't easy to stay down on a jump shooter. The natural tendency is to jump when they go up. However if you stay down you won't be susceptible to pump fakes and you are actually more likely to block the shot because you have time to gather yourself and jump higher.

It will be interesting to see if this is something they are working on or if it was just an accidental coincidence.

Woodson: "Now gentlemen...this is a head fake."

C'mon what is this 6th grade gym class? Surely these guys aren't just picking up defense 101? Well maybe they are...I guess it's a start.

Personally I would attribute our defensive problems (esp. in the paint) to:

1. Lack of interior presence other than JSmoove.

2. Lack of commitment at the coaching/GM level.

3. Lack of interest at the player level.

I heard some statistic on TV during the Milwaukee debacle (maybe it was pts in the paint differential), that basically said we have the worst inside game in the league.

I can't help but feel like the Hawks approach to the game is a step behind most of the league. In the immediate post-Jordan years, finding the next MJ seemed to be the way to go. It was all about "the show".

Then our guys started getting whupped at the international level by less talented athletes playing a team game with sound fundamentals and defense. Slowly, this kind of thinking caught on in the NBA with most franchises. Sure there are still the 1 man shows like LA and Philly but they aren't winning any titles.

The Hawks still seem to be designed around the old Bulls-type philosophy (with Marvin hopefully playing the Jordon role)....or maybe I'm totally off-base... tongue.gif