• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Hawks doubling on D

exodus

I think Josh Smith is a player who should be playing down low around the Basket. Not always on the wing like he has been playing. In the Paint he will be more effective because he can use his hops to grab rebounds put backs out the outside he does nothing but watch. Dont the Hawks have a coach to teach some low post moves to this kid?

First of all, I personally don't think you will get fair value for Al.

Secondly, people are starting to see that Al is really not our problem. Coaching Woodson is the problem. Last night Lue understood that Al does not need the ball in his hands at the end of the 4th quarter, unless it is in his comfort zone on the blocks. Al is not a playmaker, he is a situational player and Woodson doesn't see that. Lue saw that while sitting 4 games and that is why he took over the game last night.

Thirdly, this team has developed chemistry. What they are lacking is veteran experience and leadership because ALL of these guys are young. Our priority should be to add 2 veterans in the offseason and leave this team INTACT as it is!! Don't mess with it anymore!!!

• Premium Member

I think that you're right that we need more leadership at the PG position but you must admit that Lue was hitting shots like Crazy.

As far as Al, he played a game I liked. He carried the team in the first and he supported in the second half. His driving layup over O'neal in the second half was beautiful (and one). Even though Al struggled from the FT line, I think it was evident to see that he's a factor when he's on the floor and the team plays better offensively with him in there. I can't say the same for Smoove.

It's totally fathomable to get fair value for Al. Look at what New Jersey got for Kmart. For some reason, owners and GMs in the offseason try to acquire players at great expense projecting them to be better than what the reality is.

This is a weak free agency crop, and most project Al to be a top 3 available free agent. That means supply is low. When supply is low, price goes up.

I don't believe Al is THE problem on our team, either. It still doesn't mean he should be retained. Perhaps Woodson is the problem, but being the youngest team in the NBA I don't see our record being significantly better with another coach.

Adding two veterans would be nice, but I don't have confidence that we can bring in two difference making veterans while resigning Al. For us to bring in a quality vet, we would have to overpay.

Personally, I believe our team needs significant modifications, and should not be left exactly the way it is.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I don't believe Al is THE problem on our team, either. It still doesn't mean he should be retained.

The point is: Al is still one of our lead scorers, the leader of our team, and he fits in very nicely with our chemistry.. You don't find that. If we don't find a trade that gets us at least equal value for Al, I think that we ought to hold him at a reasonable price until we do.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Should we stop making trades if they improve the future of our franchise, and wait for players to be the main problem on our team before trading them?

How do you define that...

By trading for Picks.. Is that helping the future of our franchise?? Come on man, I've been a fan long enough to know this.. trading for picks is about the most uncertain thing in the world.. Especially when you start to add protections to the picks.

Babcock had the same thought for the 2000 season. He had 4 1st rounders... Do you know what happened and how it effected the future of our franchise??

We got JT, Glover, and Cal Bowdler...

We lost a lot of talented players AND our own pick for the pleasure of getting JT, Glover, and Bowdler...

You know this is unbelievable. After how many trade scenarios you came up with Al in the past, suddenly to even mention that we could trade Al is now trading for the sake of trading.

Trades are made for various reasons, and I stand by my statement that we should make trades to improve our franchise.

• Moderators

Quote:

Babcock had the same thought for the 2000 season. He had 4 1st rounders... Do you know what happened and how it effected the future of our franchise??

That is a little unfair considering that Babcock was the worst drafter in NBA history. You can't base the value of the draft on his inability to do it successfully.

• Premium Member

If you pick any 4 1st rounders in the positions we had, it would still not be worth what we gave up.

I think the only difference would have been getting Lewis instead of Bowdler and Q. Lewis didn't stay in the league long.

Al can create his own shot though. He forces things at times, but he can create space to get his shot off whether he's posting up a defender on the block, or whether he is using his dribble at 15 feet. He's improved his jump shot, and it has really opened up his offensive game.

As an added bonus, I thought he did a great job of getting back on defense in the game last night.

I still don't want Al with the ball at the 3 point line in the 4th quarter trying to make something happen. He is a turnover waiting to happen. Now if he is wide open for a 3, then fine shoot it, but if he has to create his shot all the way out at the 3 point line, I guarantee he will be unsuccessful. This has happen so many times in the late 4th quarter I can't even count them.

I agree Al is excellent on the block and around 15 feet from the basket. He is almost unstoppable, but that is where it should stop and that is where a PG should get him the ball.

The JJ/Al Michael Jordan impersonation show in the 4th quarter doesn't work........coaching people!!

Quote:

I think that you're right that we need more leadership at the PG position but you must admit that Lue was hitting shots like Crazy.

Do you think that Speedy Claxton might be the perfect fit to slide in to the starting PG spot? For some reason, don't know why, I feel that Lue backing up Claxton would be major.