• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Mike Woodson vs. Sidney Lowe

Diesel

• Premium Member

Being that these are the coaches of BK's choosing, then the relationship has to be explored.

Sidney Lowe (Mem) = 46-126. 26.7%

Woody (ATL) = 24-98. 19.7%

This is a snippet I found about Hubie Brown but it speaks volumes about the type of team Lowe had.

Quote:

Upon his arrival last season, Brown made it clear the teacher would have control of the classroom. The timing for this discipline was perfect. Previous Grizzlies coach Sidney Lowe was a nice guy who had lost his team's respect.

"When Hubie came over, we were a floundering franchise," forward Shane Battier says. "We were looking for any sign of hope or direction"

The old dog quickly discovered he would have to learn at least one new trick. In his first coaching life, Brown had emphasized a "power game, inside-outside."
He had the players to do it. In Memphis, he doesn't.

From what I remember Lowe was the type of coach who couldn't get the team defense quite right. It's interesting that Hubie didn't have the power players to work an inside out game...

Makes you wonder, what will the Hawks have?

...and one reason I don't want BK to have far less to do with the coach hiring and firing.

I believe (in the "hunch" sense of belief) BK's (mad scientist?) ego requires him select a coach decidedly "his pick", one that perhaps he can bend to his philosophy.

I don't trust BK to make the top pick selection or coaching selection. I do trust him to make trades and signings, even in light of JJ NOT being a "PG". In short, at our current rebuilding stage, BK scares me or dissappoints me more than gives me confidence and lives up to expectations. Oh well.

W

• Admin

I think that when PG said JJ can be a point guard. He meant it in the context of his vision for the team. A team that is built around size and athleticism. Not one that is built around the traditional positional contraints. If you look at JJ in that context, he is a fine PG. When you look at him based on the positional constraints of the NBA's past, he doesn't look good at all.

• Premium Member

building the team in Memphis. The Hawks were TOO CHEAP to hire a decent NBA exec and BK is what wer ended up with instead of Jerry West.

I watched Memphis on the tube destroy Minnesota last night and they are a good team that plays together.

Good GM and good coach = WINS

• Admin

Jerry West really hasn't done a lot, personel wise, to make that team better. He brought in Hubie brown, who instilled some winning ways into them. But their key players are the ones that BK brought in. The "greatness of Jerry west" is not the primary reason they are a winning team now.

• Premium Member

Nope.

Jerry West has made some horrible moves as a GM. What was up with the draft where he took...Dhantay Jones.. Then theres is Kendrick Perkins and trading Banks for Bell... Ugly. He overpaid Mike Miller and some would say Gasol too.

His best moves were picking the right coaches.

Quote:

Jerry West really hasn't done a lot, personel wise, to make that team better. He brought in Hubie brown, who instilled some winning ways into them. But their key players are the ones that BK brought in. The "greatness of Jerry west" is not the primary reason they are a winning team now.

Ohter then Gasol, Wright and Battier are there any players on that team brought in by BK? I don't think so.

BK gets lauded for the Gasol trade (where he fleeced an even more incompetent GM) but he is also the genius who traded Bibby for Jason Williams.

Sidney Lowe only took over a young team and directed them to the most wins in franchise history in back to back seasons. The ownership got impatient in Memphis though, and they went for name over substance by booting Billy to bring in Jerry West.

Hubie came in at the right time, because he inherited a young team that was maturing. It's the natural progression young teams make. It will be the same thing in Atlanta. A new coach may come in and start winning, but it isn't going to be because he's better than Mike Woodson. It will be because the young guys we have on this team will mature and the chemistry will be there.

No.

BK was pushing a Bibby for Odom deal. Michael Hiesley and d*ck Versace overruled him and sent Bibby to Sacto for Jason Williams. BK had nothing to do with that deal. That's straight from Ronald Tillery, who covers the Grizzlies for the Commerical Appeal in Memphis.

• Premium Member

Well.

This just in.... From the office of D. Stern...

There have been too many GMs who have taking advantage of a Babcock... Therefore, you can no longer be called a good GM for taking advantage of a Babcock.

Sincerely,

D.