• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Marc Stein on Al Harrington being traded

WraithSentinel

Greg (Atlanta, GA): Marc - big win for the Hawks last night over the Knicks. What do you see them doing with Al Harrington or any other possible moves before the deadline? Seems like if they are going to let him go, they need a PG or big man in return. What do you think? Also, Tony Delk is supposidly healthy and has been inactive all year. What are they going to do with him?

Marc Stein: (11:44 AM ET ) They want picks. Multiple firsts. They also think they can get more for Harrington in the summer. But it's not inconceivable that Atlanta will get a good offer in the next 20-plus days. They've told Al they want to re-sign him but I agree that it's more likely he gets moved. It's simply more likely in July than now.

Aldridge may be too much to hope for.

It is more likely that the Hawks will wind up with another 6'9" forward like Thomas or Williams. The good news is that will help their d since there is no way their would draft a forward AND resign Al. It will give them another shot blocker.

The bad news is that they will have another 6'9" forward and still need a pg and c.

Quote:

I would bet all my money that we will come out of this with Aldridge, Bargnani or Splitter.

Huh? Aldridge will probably be the top pick, which we only have about a 25% chance of getting even with the worst record.

Splitter may not even be able to arrange a buyout and might not come over. Plus i heard from someone who has seen him play that he was getting outplayed by Drobniak. Plus he isn't as big as you think. His standing reach is only 1.5" more than Marvin and he is skinny too.

Bargiani got lit up by Josh Smith in hs, which doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.I don't think he would help our interior D much.

I stick by my statement, assuming Splitter's buyout is not a deal stopper, I know nothing about how bad it is.

Those are by far the top 3 center prospects, and there are no PG prospects likely to go in the top 3 or so. We will not be drafting a guy like Morrison, we'll trade before we do that.

I don't see Williams as that good a prospect at all. I'll take Rondo anyday over Shelden Williams. Williams is a role player. The top 3 at least have a shot at being stars.

Quote:

Quote:

I'd rather have sheldon williams than aldridge.

YIKES - I hope you don't know Billy K. too well.

Just my opinion. I like sheldon better because of his experience (4 years in school and playing in big games all the time), bball IQ, coachability, and a few other intangibles. Bottom line is, we arent going to be drafting in the top 3. thats where morrison, gay, and aldridge will fall. If were going to get a big man, the 3 guys that stick out in my mind are sheldon, josh boone, and nick fazekas.

Bargnani is no more of a center than I am. Splitter is a 4 too and will get pushed around there until he beefs up.

It is funny listening to people try to discredit Williams. Sounds a lot like what I heard last year about Paul being too small to play the point and a defensive liability and on and on.

How good does a guy have to play at a top ranked school to get some credit? Does he have to average 25/15?

Quote:

Bargnani is no more of a center than I am. Splitter is a 4 too and will get pushed around there until he beefs up.

It is funny listening to people try to discredit Williams. Sounds a lot like what I heard last year about Paul being too small to play the point and a defensive liability and on and on.

How good does a guy have to play at a top ranked school to get some credit? Does he have to average 25/15?

Agreed with respect to Splitter and Bargnani offering little to no defense. Both are forwards, not centers, so I don't see how they help.

Aldrige would be the guy, but I am not even certain he is a center. It is just not a good year to have the number one pick.

Splitter offering little to no defense? What are you guys talking about? Yeah most of these guys might end up being PF's, so what? They are PF's in the same way that Zaza is. But given the state of the C position in the NBA, they will be fine at the 5. We need bigs, not just one center. A talented big would be huge for us.

Aldridge or Splitter would give us the talented defensive big we need. Bargnani would be more of an offensive player, but either way he's a talented big

About Splitter from draftexpress

Quote:

Defensively, Tiago is very solid, and quite intense.
He's rarely banged in the low post despite usually being lighter than his rivals, and he enjoys accurate lateral quickness to stop his matchups and even to contain (to a certain degree) smaller rivals after defensive changes.
He never forgets team defense, and generally shows very good positioning. He's a decent shot blocker, but he rarely risks his defensive position to get the block
, so in the end he's not very prolific.

He blocks shots but still can be dominated in the post, and he doesn't have the offensive and athletic upside that Lamarcus has. To me he's a Sean May guy, a great pick at 10-15, will have a good career and be productive, but he will never be an Elton Brand type player.

Take last seasons games against May, similarly sized player with more offense and less defense than Shelden

Feb. 9th:

May - 8-14 FG, 7-7 FT, 18 Reb., 23 Pts., 2 Blk.

Shel- 3-6 FG, 5-6 FT, 9 Reb., 11 Pts., 5 Blk.

So yeah, he has 5 blocks, and you think "man he can play defense", but May doubles his production elsewhere and gets to the free throw line.

March 6th:

May - 10-19 FG, 6-7 FT, 24 Reb., 26 Pts., 0 Blk.

Shel- 10-13 FG, 2-5 FT, 4 Reb., 22 Pts., 6 Blk.

This game he was awesome from the field and blocking shots (3 or 4 were Marvin's because he wouldn't throw a pump fake), but May still had a great game and this time the rebounding advantage was 24-4!!!!

I know, taking two games out is ridiculous. But my point is that he's not a beastly center with crazy upside. He's a dependable inside force with solid production.

Lamarcus has Dwight Howard potential whereas Shelden has May/Okafor potential. Some people feel like they'd rather have the safe bet Shelden, I think Lamarcus (and Dwight) are stars in the making.

P.S. sorry for the shameless Sean May ass kissing here, just had to throw these numbers out and brag on my boy. Ridiculous.

Quote:

He blocks shots but still can be dominated in the post, and he doesn't have the offensive and athletic upside that Lamarcus has. To me he's a Sean May guy, a great pick at 10-15, will have a good career and be productive, but he will never be an Elton Brand type player.

I was actually going to write the same thing earlier. Mainly because both of them primarily succeeded in college because of their size compared to the opposition. They both have enough talent to succeed in the NBA, but nowhere near as well as they did in college. I also think Williams will belong in the 10-15 range, something like that.

First of all Aldridge isn't in the discussion because he will likely go at 1. If the Hawks get that pick then I am all for Aldridge.

Secondly Shelden is much better on offense than he gets credit for. Coach K wants him under the basket so that is where he stays but he actually has a good jumper, both straightaway and turnaround. He is shooting 60% from the field and 76% from the line.

The Hawks are a good shooting team but most of the players shoot below 76%.

Defensively he seems to cheat a lot. In effect he is playing a one man zone because he is always looking to help someone if they get beat. Smart teams can take advantage of this by swinging the ball to his man quickly deep in the post. if a good post player gets the ball in deep they will score most of the time regardless of who is guarding him. And his teamates Never come to help.