• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Lebron is such an a**

Admin

Quote: 
LeBron James, one of the league's premier in-game dunkers, declined an invitation to participate for the third year in a row.

"I'm not a slam-dunk-competition-type of guy," said the Cavaliers forward, who won the only dunk contest he ever entered as a high school senior. "On the spur of the moment, I can do dunks during the game. I can't think of a dunk before I do it. I'll leave it up to the guys who don't play as many minutes as I do. Those guys can go out there and throw the ball between their legs and stuff."

He doubts that he'll ever enter.

"I don't think so," said James, who plans to participate in the All-Star weekend's skills challenge. "I got the first two years out of the way and that's when you usually do it. I don't want to be defined as being in the slam dunk contest, it's just not me."

Asked to pick a winner, James first mentioned Smith, then Robinson.

"Watch out for him, too, being as small as he is, he could be another Spud Webb."

Quote:

He is just coming off as arrogant to me in talking about the guys who dont play many minutes like he does.

Agreed, that's completely uncalled for. He can say the part about it just not being his thing without coming off like it's beneath him. And to think he wears #23 for MJ ... tsk tsk

I don't feel it's a huge deal either way, and Lebron has never struck me as being particularly arrogant- in fact he seems to have his head on his shoulders and feet on the ground pretty well despite all the hype and hoopla surrounding him.

I really doubt he meant it in a derogatory or negative way. If he doesn't want to participate, then fine- don't participate. No biggie to me, but it is indicative to me of the loss of luster that the Slam Dunk competition has suffered over the years. It used to be like this star-studded, huge deal back in the day- and the best and most exciting players in the league wanted to participate. It's fallen a long ways from the days when you'd see players like Dominique, Spud, Kenny Walker, Larry Nance and Shawn Kemp participating in the competition.

Lebron is a punk. That is the problem with today's players. All they think about is themselves as individuals. If Lebron were a mature young man and cared about the game of basketball and the National Basketball Association, he would realize the amount of attention his entering the dunk competition would garner. I mean, who wouldn't watch the dunk contest if it were Smoov v. King James?

Instead, he takes the arrogant path and passes the competition off as something that superstars don't participate in. People wonder why the league isn't like it was in the 80's. This is a perfect example.

Quote:

Lebron is a punk. That is the problem with today's players. All they think about is themselves as individuals. If Lebron were a mature young man and cared about the game of basketball and the National Basketball Association, he would realize the amount of attention his entering the dunk competition would garner. I mean, who wouldn't watch the dunk contest if it were Smoov v. King James?

Instead, he takes the arrogant path and passes the competition off as something that superstars don't participate in. People wonder why the league isn't like it was in the 80's. This is a perfect example.

Lebron could come off like he was the President of the United States if he wanted. he can say and do whatever he wants, the media is in his hands.

i agree that he is 'above' the dunk contest. he's making his mark as a superstar in the NBA. the dunk contest is for the hip hop generation. i'm hesitant to show respect to talented kids who have never earned a paycheck in their lives, however Lebron has earned a pass in my book. no thug just basketball. i like that.

Quote:

Quote:

Lebron could come off like he was the President of the United States if he wanted. he can say and do whatever he wants, the media is in his hands.

i agree that he is 'above' the dunk contest. he's making his mark as a superstar in the NBA. the dunk contest is for the hip hop generation. i'm hesitant to show respect to talented kids who have never earned a paycheck in their lives, however Lebron has earned a pass in my book. no thug just basketball. i like that.

Nique, Jordan, and Spud were thugs? I was unaware...

i call it cowardice...not just cowardice to lose when you're a big name...but cowardice that you're afraid you're going to get some mythical stigma as just being a dunker..

it's ignorant...how can you be labeled something if you already do much more than that?..why is it for the "lesser minute" guys?...

it's a diss when you say basically that your holiness will leave some crumbs for the lesser players to fight over with just a slam dunk trophy...

just like kobe and the rest...

why can't people be honest? why not just say i don't think i'm one of the top dunkers in the league..i can hold my own but not in a competition...

tell me this Lebron...you think if you get beat by say, hakim warrick, that when you're playing each other, anyone's going to say something...it's going to tarnish your legacy?

that's why noone will ever be the next michael jordan..he didn't care, he wanted to compete, he was a competitor..i hope josh smith reads that and takes it to heart and gets fired up....

i also hope he doesn't back out the next couple years because of this attitude that is spreading..

i miss Jordan, Dominique, Barkely, Bird, and Magic.

Quote:

Quote:

the dunk contest is for the hip hop generation.

Are you saying James is not part of the hip hop generation? Is this a joke?

You dont have to be a "thug" to be part of the hip hop generation.

your vodka pun is cute. my question to you is where do you live and what do you drive? like i said, "cute."

Quote:

why can't people be honest? why not just say i don't think i'm one of the top dunkers in the league..i can hold my own but not in a competition...

- no player in the NBA is going to say something (in public) that lowers their value.

i dont see JAMES coming out as an arrogant, cocky blah-blah-blah. Its not as if he said "the dunk contest is one easy victory, i could win it easily" and then not participate. He also gave props to JOSH SMITH and NATE ROBINSON.

if anything, he pretty much said the same thing KOBE/VINCE/ETC were THINKING (but too scared to say it). If it can ONLY HURT YOUR STOCK, then dont do it.

u dont wanna be the next CHRIS ANDERSON laugh.gif

I don't care to weight in over whether James is a jerk, or not (he probably is!). All I care about is how these comments may effect J.Smith's psyche. James is telling Smith, in a way, that hey just because you are the SLAM champion does not mean you are going to get any respect in this League. You are one-dimensional, and when you develop an all around game you will get respect, not until.

It just made me sick the other night watching JS trying to make the highlight reels against NY. I really hope he loses the Slam Dunk contest, and begins to move on with his career.

He probably said this with a grin, talking a little smack, just like any other guy on a level with the best of all time might do.

You think Larry and MJ didn't give their inferiors some schitt from time to time? Its all in the spirit of competition.

LeBron knows he's not the dunker these guys are, he's not gonna try to beat them, but he will remind them who is the King. I actually kind of like him showing some attitude. I don't think he means harm.

If it could inspire Smith to improve his all around game, that would be sweet.