• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Interesting Marvin Williams read Sam Bowie???

SmooveTheFuture

Quote:

I think you might get some different opinions on that from guys named Jordan, Worthy, Dougherty, Perkins, Carter, Jamison, Stackhouse, Wallace, etc.

Actually it's completely factual that he's their best ever freshman on a per 40 minute basis. Best player? no. Best freshman? probably not. Best freshman per 40? Certainly

We can only speculate as to how well he would have done with more minutes though

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Quote:

I think you might get some different opinions on that from guys named Jordan, Worthy, Dougherty, Perkins, Carter, Jamison, Stackhouse, Wallace, etc.

Actually it's completely factual that he's their best ever freshman on a per 40 minute basis. Best player? no. Best freshman? probably not. Best freshman per 40? Certainly

We can only speculate as to how well he would have done with more minutes though

If he averaged 30mpg, he would have used 10mpg to average his current numbers, 10mpg to display his scrotum to KB21 (assuming Diesel is right about that?), and 10mpg to gaze upon his SpongeBob lunchbox.

His freshman numbers on a per 40 minute basis, compared to their per 40 minute numbers, were the best out of all of them.

If he had stayed at NC for three years, he may have gone down in history at the greatest player to ever play at North Carolina, and that's saying something.

BTW, his per 40 numbers at NC as a freshman was 20 points and 12 rebounds per game. Jordan only averaged 17.5 points per 40 minutes as a true freshman.

Quote:

Quote:

KB claimed he was one of UNC's best players ever, that is what I was refering to. No way do his per 40 minute number equal the real contributions those other guys made to that program.

I don't know but I saw Alvin Jones smash Tech's block record in a single game, his first game out. He was a hell of a college center. He just doesn't have pro-game, only college game.

I'm not arguing that he was the best freshman ever at UNC, I'm just saying that you can't dispute that he was the best on a per-minute basis, that is a fact. Read whatever you want into it.

Personally I'm not a big fan of per-minute stats

Quote:

His freshman numbers on a per 40 minute basis, compared to their per 40 minute numbers, were the best out of all of them.

If he had stayed at NC for three years, he may have gone down in history at the greatest player to ever play at North Carolina, and that's saying something.

BTW, his per 40 numbers at NC as a freshman was 20 points and 12 rebounds per game. Jordan only averaged 17.5 points per 40 minutes as a true freshman.

Per 40 minute numbers do not in any way equal to real world accomlishments of the many great players that played for UNC.

Do not belittle their accomplishments with some trivial argument about how Marvin is the greatest player of all time.

Quote:

Thank you EDS...

That's like if I worked 1 hour per day and tried to compare myself to captains of industry based on my per 10 hour rate...

It's totally BS.

Or like if you told your significant other to just pretend that those 30 seconds are really 30 minutes?

Jordan 32 MPG 13.5 PPG (.425/min.) 4.4 RPG (.138/min)

Worthy 28 MPG 12.5 PPG (.446/min.) 7.4 RPG (.264/min)

Daugher. 23 MPG 8.2 PPG (.357/min.) 5.2 RPG (.226/min)

Perkins 30 MPG 14.9 PPG (.497/min.) 7.8 RPG (.260/min)

Carter 18 MPG 7.5 PPG (.417/min.) 3.8 RPG (.211/min)

Jamison 33 MPG 15.1 PPG (.458/min.) 9.7 RPG (.294/min)

Stack 21 MPG 12.2 PPG (.581/min.) 5.0 RPG (.238/min)

Sheed! 21 MPG 9.5 PPG (.452/min.) 6.6 RPG (.314/min)

Marvin 22 MPG 11.3 PPG (.514/min.) 6.6 RPG (.300/min)

So Marvin is 2nd among these bums in rookie season points/minute and 2nd in rebounds/minute as well.

• Premium Member

So instead of playing the whole game, Let's put everybody out there for 6 minutes and we can extrapolate what a 48 minute game would be...

That way we can get the mathematicians involved...

Sounds like a thesis.

So what? That doesn't make him one of the best UNC players of all time, just one of the best freshmen. No one is arguing that he was a good freshman, just that his limited stay at UNC did not result in a body of work that warrants his inclusion on the list of all-time UNC greats.

Agreed, but he will be remembered by UNC fans as much more than a really good freshman. He embodied everything Carolina basketball is all about.

I never said he was the greatest of all time. Someone brought up the subject of points/minute and I thought it would be interesting to see how those names stacked up.

Sorry for adding substance to your arguments.

• Premium Member

hell get the top 100 UNC Fans..

Ask who was the best 5 UNC players of all time.

I bet None of them will mention Marvin Williams' name. IN fact, I believe you would probably have May's name come up about 11 times before you hear a person whisper Marvin's name.

resume with the excuses.

Per 40 minute stats is the only way you can compare two players and have an apples to apples comparison.

You can't compare a player that plays 36 minutes a game to a player that gets 20 minutes a game on their regular statistics alone.