• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

Will Harrington be traded?

Gangstur

Well there is always MORE of chance a player will NOT be traded than be traded. You can pick any player in the NBA (not named Artest) no matter what the rumors are and the statistics would show they more of a chance NOT to get traded..

So picking not traded would be wise. But I think a better question would be do you think there's a GOOD chance he'll be traded. My answer would be yes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Ii think BK probably likes where we are right now.. regaurdless of how much we cry on Hawksquawk.

We are 3 games over last years win total with 29 games left to play and we have looked good against good teams.

If we won 14 more games, that's a 30 win season. Not the greatest, but not bad going from 13 to 30 wins.

I think BK wants something to be able to brag about.

It's possible for him to gamble on the young guys. I mean, I think Chillz and Smoove have grown alot.. But I really don't know if BK wants to get rid of Al?

Seriously though, let's face facts. Regardless of whether you like Al or not, he really doesn't fit into the long term plans for this team. If he's re-signed and kept or Billy Knight doesn't get anything for him, all fans that still have faith in him, should lose it quickly. I like Al, but he really doesn't fit this team any longer. At least not with Smoove, Chill, and Marvin waiting in the wings.

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that Al is a one-dimension guy that provides points and not much else. The only reason I'm so hesitant on pulling the trigger is that even with all of his shortcomings I think that trading him will only reveal more shortcomings from whomever gets put into the rotation. And if that happens, what do we do then and how many threads will start regarding Marvin being a bust or "I told you so" or who we really should've gotten for Al or whatever else.

Quote:

JJ is too easy to shut down

Yeah he has been shut down so many times in the last two months.

Or maybe it was the gameplan of one of the best teams in the league to take JJ out of the game.

And the young guys haven't had too much problem scoring recently when Al has been out.

• Premium Member

I think all players have a role...

I think Al's role right now is secondary or primary scorer. I don't know if any of the young guns can step up and do it. We can talk about matchups all day long but our young guys haven't gained the consistency to step up. Moreover, that's a lot of pressure to put on JJ. However, if we can get the right player in here after AL leaves, i think it could work.

Regaurdless of how you feel about Al..

If he wants to be here and if we can re-sign on the cheap, why not keep him? All day long, you guys make up reason why to get rid of our second best scorer and prolly the only inside scoring presence that we have. Last night was classic. JJ was suffering. Al was taking Ben Wallace to school from the midrange (until Wallace got mad)... The point is that Al provides usable depth. When good teams go out and sign players who provide good depth, we applaud them. When we have the chance to do the same thing.... Al doesn't have to be a part of the 2009 rebuild. However, even if he's a transition guy, let's let him be what he is. I think BK is the type of guy that will be upfront with him in what he wants. Picking Marvin over Chris Paul is a statement all to itself. However, in this game, you get as much talent as possible....

• Premium Member

Luefan.

Can't you see that if you take away our scoring options, then the only person a team has to gameplan for is JJ??

I mean.. Damn, did you watch the game?? From start to finish, Rip Halmilton lived in JJ's shirt pocket..

Not Chauncey... RIP.. So what do you think other teams would do if all we have is JJ and the baby hawks?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, I completely agree that Al is a one-dimension guy that provides points and not much else. The only reason I'm so hesitant on pulling the trigger is that even with all of his shortcomings I think that trading him will only reveal more shortcomings from whomever gets put into the rotation. And if that happens, what do we do then and how many threads will start regarding Marvin being a bust or "I told you so" or who we really should've gotten for Al or whatever else.

This post makes no sense! The players behind AL have been playing already and doing well. Smoove got 44 minutes last night and got 15 rebounds and 7 blocks. Childress got 18 & 6. Marvin got 11 & played strong defense. They have to play to grow!

• Premium Member

There will be a lot.

Be honest, right now, most of Marvin points come from being around the basket and receiving good passes. Hell, last night, Al fed Marvin at least 2 times on some really good passes. That's just to say that Marvin is not ready to create for himself. I cringe when he puts the ball on the floor in traffic. I know he's going down...

I agree completely with most of that, but do you think Al will be signed for cheap? I can live with his lack of defense for the most part because he truly does have a sick post game and not too bad of an outside shot for a big man. I just don't want the Hawks to either miss out completely and get nothing for him or to re-sign him to a big contract that takes them completely out of the mix for signing either a quality big man or point guard or both considering the lack of depth this upcoming draft has.

Quote:

Can't you see that if you take away our scoring options, then the only person a team has to gameplan for is JJ??

As usual you are ignoring the fact that the Hawks haven't had any problem scoring with Al on the bench. One off night by JJ against a team that has been to the finals the last 2 years doesn't change what has been happening in all the games preceeding it.

The young guys create offense differently from Al. Instead of pounding the ball into the ground on isolations they actually run the offense and move the ball until someone has a good look.

You are judging Al the same way others here judge Salim. Al has a good game and you are all giddy and completely ignore his lousy shooting nights and the gaping holes in the rest of his game.

• Premium Member

Right now, I think the market may determine Al's salary... The market may determine his salary to be much lower than previously thought. Not just because of his position (tweener) but because of moves going on right now. If Denver ante up and take Francis, then It's a strong chance that AL will probably be here.

The Detroit announce team said that he wanted to stay here with the rebuild.

• Premium Member

Quote:

s usual you are ignoring the fact that the Hawks haven't had any problem scoring with Al on the bench.

Every game has ebbs and flows my friend. Al goes to the bench, Somebody from the other team goes to the bench. Last night, we dominated when Sheed went to the bench and McDyess came out. However, in the second half, Sheed didn't go to the bench like he did in the first.

Our baby hawks look good against tire teams because they play with energy. We lose that when our babies start...

You can't base a trade on how a player looks coming off the bench in stretches. That's silly.

I think Al may very well set the market. Do you think he really wants to be here or do you think he feels Atlanta has the most money to offer him and would be willing to pay him more? Seriously I don't know. The moves with draft picks and such would lead you to believe the Hawks wouldn't need to keep Al around after this season, but most of the reports from the Hawks front office are quite the contrary. If Al could be re-signed for somewhere in the neighborhood of $8million per, I'd like to see it because it would still leave a little financial flexibility to pursue possible free agents.

I think Al really kept us in the that game last night. Seemed to me that the game got out of hand in the 3rd with Al on the bench and the young guys all on the floor. He proved that he is a really valuable player for this team. That's different from wanting to keep him long term, but he really kept us in it last night.